cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

With all of the changes coming in 2020 to the 3/4 tons...

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
What are you most excited about? What are you most interested in? What do you think will have the biggest impact on the market? That sort of thing.
22 REPLIES 22

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
No doubt the new 7.3 is definitely going to be an improvement over the existing crop of V8's.

However, there's still going to be huge performance void between the 7.3 and the current crop of big-bore HD turbo diesels. The successful big-bore turbo diesels and the ultra-successful turbo-equipped Ecoboost 3.5's prove one thing, the towing/hauling/driving masses want/prefer near maximum torque at 2,000 RPM's. Unfortunately, the 7.3 is going to miss this mark as a naturally aspirated engine. Really have to wonder why the Big 3 can't legitimately fill this torque void with a mid-size, turbo gas or diesel powerplant.

I agree with this. Make an ecoboost motor designed for a 3/4 ton duty cycle, like a smaller turbo v8 and you would have the best of all worlds. I love the low end torque of my little ecoboost. Wayyy better than my last v8.
Jeep and Explorer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think your going to see any significant increase in MPG. It certainly will be more powerful (speaking of both the 7.3 and 6.6) but there is no "low hanging fruit" on that tree. It takes energy to make power, and there is only so much improvement that is possible when squirting gas into a cylinder and igniting it. I think we are there. They will make it more powerful and any increase in efficiency that is produced with these engines will be consumed in the increase power rating. That's my take for both Ford and GM new HD gas engines, we will see what happens.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I hear all this love for the future 7.3 and 6.6 gassers and even the existing 6.4.
But we have been down this road before.
Back when we had big block gassers 454, 460 or even the Chevy 8.1. These big block gassers were not that popular. Trying to find a used 8.1 Suburban was nearly impossible. Even finding a 8.1 pick up was tough. That's because they were fairly rare to start with. Once diesels were turbo'd and became a fixture in the pick up truck big blocks lost their edge. Fuel prices also climbed and made it harder to bankroll a big block.
Now maybe CAFE standards, and MPG regulation led to their premature demise, but I don't think they would have faded away if they were truly popular.
Now that they are back, how many are going to actually spend an additional 4K to own one? Will fuel efficiency have an impact?
Yes in the RV0/towing world there maybe interest, but will big blocks be able to carve out a niche in the overall market place?
Is there room for small block,large block,baby diesel,full diesel, hybrid, electric and ego boost variants?
How quickly we forget gas spiking above $4.00 a gallon. It won't take much of gas increase to impact the big block market.
I like the idea of all these engine options, however I'm not sure the market can support all the choices.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
No doubt the new 7.3 is definitely going to be an improvement over the existing crop of V8's.

However, there's still going to be huge performance void between the 7.3 and the current crop of big-bore HD turbo diesels. The successful big-bore turbo diesels and the ultra-successful turbo-equipped Ecoboost 3.5's prove one thing, the towing/hauling/driving masses want/prefer near maximum torque at 2,000 RPM's. Unfortunately, the 7.3 is going to miss this mark as a naturally aspirated engine. Really have to wonder why the Big 3 can't legitimately fill this torque void with a mid-size, turbo gas or diesel powerplant.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
The gassers are going to get lots of attention. The transmission in the Ram gasser should be a huge improvement! I doubt the 7.3 Ford will have better mpg, and have more power than the 6.2, but just one or the other, will make for a great TV. It would be nice if they were all less money too, but no matter the price, they will sell.

Jerry

You might be right about not having more power and fuel mileage and it sounds reasonable. I would think that since the 7.3 is an upgrade over the 6.2 that it would definitely have more power. It seemed to me that since the guy doing the video on the 7.3 was excited about the fuel economy that it would get better mileage than the 6.2. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I think there are lot of people in the towing world who are really wanting to see the real world specs and testing of this engine. I know I am.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think it'll pull a few for sure. But think about the numbers. Sure 10-15 year old diesel numbers vs the 500? Ft lbs that a new bug block gasser will put out would be a game changer. BUT the new diesels now have the same hp and almost twice the torque still as the biggest new gasser to hit the market. Some things never change?

All that said, I almost get a chub thinking about all the big power options in today's cars and trucks. I couldn't complain enough about the negatives of technology to wipe the smile off my face!
Where I do think this 7.3 engine will make a splash is in fleet sales. Take the 3/4 and 1 tons we run around that are very capable chassis that are kind of hamstrung for power in their gas variants. This engine (and the others to follow from GM and Ram) will be a big plus here.
I want my next work truck to have a 7.3 or 6.6 gasser! (Since they won't buy me a diesel, lol)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m excited about the new gas power plants. Iโ€™m thinking that the new gas engines will take more sales from the diesel arena. So it will be interesting to see what these new gas engines can do, performance, reliability, and sales.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to have a Ram interior in a GM chassis running the new 7.3 10 spd combo. Deep enough pockets I'm sure it could be arranged.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Lowering the 2020 Super Duty is a big plus. I'm 6'4" and anyone shorter than I struggles to even see in the bed.

I suppose one plus of my truck is that things are less likely to be stolen from the bed. They can't take what they don't know is there.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
A 445 ci gas engine in 2020.. Wow... And they say they are doing it for better fuel mileage ratings..

Cast iron block, push rods... Wow..

Cummins has a cast iron block and pushrods. Why is that a surprise?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
A 445 ci gas engine in 2020.. Wow... And they say they are doing it for better fuel mileage ratings..

Cast iron block, push rods... Wow..

If I needed a 3/4 ton truck, that's what I would be looking at..

Mitch

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new gas engines are exciting. Especially the 7.3l Godzilla. Super excited about it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
As we made our way down I95 towards Florida today, I was struck by fuel prices. In North Carolina gas was under $2 a gallon, while the cheapest diesel price I saw was $2.74. I'm paying almost 50% more for diesel, but I doubt I'm getting 50% better fuel economy.

Couple that with the fact that when we get on the island in Florida, the diesel truck is gonna HATE the short, low speed trips to get around. A gas engine would be much better for when we arrive.

Times like this sure make me interested for the future of a gas engine truck. If longevity and fuel economy increase, I could see myself interested in a less expensive gas truck in the future...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
"What are you most excited about?" The fact that I bought a 3500 in 2015!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021