cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Bedroom 5th Wheel for Adult Visitors

bobnap
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I currently have a travel trailer (2005 Jay Flight 31BHS) that has served us well for many years. Our children are now grown and still sometimes camp with us and we also have other friends visit/stay with us fairly regularly so we are in the market for a 5th wheel that can accommodate visiting adults. We try to avoid having folks sleep in the living area as that makes mornings a little awkward when tiptoeing around sleeping guests. One other challenge is that I'm trying to keep GVWR at or around 14k lbs or under and length under 37' or so.

We've looked at some mid bunk models that have convertible sofas and have liked some of those (although many are too long and/or heavy) and we've also looked at some rear bunkhouse models which have foldout sofas that look like they could work. Our current favorite is the Grand Design Reflection 311BHS (we'd have to be careful how much we packed because that one could push our top end weight limit). The 2nd 1/2 bath in this model is also appealing for visitors as well.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have overnight adult guests and which floorplans have worked for them.

Appreciate any and all input.

Bob
2016 RAM 2500, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10
2002 Suburban 2500 w/8.1 & 3.73
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS
20 REPLIES 20

oldbutspry
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Forest River Sierra 387MKOK. It has a second bedroom and bathroom. Also, the weight is in the ballpark of what you are looking for.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We may have offended some friends when one of my buddies was scheduled to come up and fish with me. I said he could sleep on the couch. Later, he asked if his wife could come. I said sure but they should consider one of the cabins in the campground. 4 people and one bathroom right next to our bedroom didn't sound like a good time to me and the wife.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
I am not going to buy something to accommodate people who would only be with us 2% of the time. We have a fold out sofa. It is not very comfortable. Don't want it to be. Friends are friends but after a few days I want them gone. Sure don't want them to be too comfy.

My thoughts exactly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
I am not going to buy something to accommodate people who would only be with us 2% of the time. We have a fold out sofa. It is not very comfortable. Don't want it to be. Friends are friends but after a few days I want them gone. Sure don't want them to be too comfy.
(Fish and guests both smell after 3 days) Samuel Clemens

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bobnap
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all. Appreciate all the suggestions. While I'd love to let some of our friends use our old camper, the logistics of that are tricky as we normally camp on the beach so a heavy duty 4x4 is needed. In addition our visitors usually come for a night or 2 and not the entire stay so setting up a 2nd camper is really not worth it. The place we usually camp does not allow tents so that's not an option either.

Thanks again.

Bob
2016 RAM 2500, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10
2002 Suburban 2500 w/8.1 & 3.73
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS

gratwitnorth
Explorer
Explorer
We did a lot of searching with similar requirements.

Ended up choosing a Redwood 38BR BR= Bonus Room

The bonus room takes up the rear of the 5th wheel and works great as a spare bedroom when needed. One of the options with this floor plan is bunks that fold up against the rear wall when not in use. The thing that we love about this layout is how incredibly useful the space is as storage when not needed for guests. Even when traveling with teenage daughter the space works great for storage when moving and converts to sleeping area when setup. Best of both worlds 🙂

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
JMO, but I would not buy a new FW, designed to accommodate other adults wanting to spend the night, on a regular basis. If grown adult children, give them the old trailer, rather than trade it. If they do not want it, offer it to your friends, that like staying with you, giving them a bargain they can't refuse.

It is fun to camp with other adults, but nice to have them sleep, shower, use toilet, in their own unit, or rented cabin. For a once in a while need, the fold out couch, or floor, should be good enough.

Jerry
I would agree with this. I just purchased a used TT for the purpose of family and friends being able to use at the seasonal site. The additional TT will also be used for trips leaving from up North. I would not sacrifice living space to accommodate occasionall visitors.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
What would be wrong with bringing a tent that could be set up for visitors?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I somewhat agree with MFL, but I'm not going to impose my camping lifestyle upon yours. I too saw many mid bunk room models that looked like just a waste of living space just for the purpose of sleeping. The GD you mentioned looks like a nice floor plan for guests.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JMO, but I would not buy a new FW, designed to accommodate other adults wanting to spend the night, on a regular basis. If grown adult children, give them the old trailer, rather than trade it. If they do not want it, offer it to your friends, that like staying with you, giving them a bargain they can't refuse.

It is fun to camp with other adults, but nice to have them sleep, shower, use toilet, in their own unit, or rented cabin. For a once in a while need, the fold out couch, or floor, should be good enough.

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Only problem with a TH is that they're, typically, pretty pin heavy when empty. Even a fairly light TH can overload the pin on an older truck without the "toy(s)" loaded up.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for a toyhauler, the garage area can be converted into a separate bedroom once it's emptied of any toys. When no visitors are with you the garage can be used as flexible space...office, media room, gym...etc.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
A front living model might work, too. While most don't have a door into the LR, it wouldn't be hard to hang a curtain.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member