cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery issues on new TT

coachsburke
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I bought a new Forest River TT from the dealer last month, and I'm having issues with the battery draining. Even with nothing on and the TT sitting in the driveway. The battery goes from fully charged, to only showing 1/3 charged ( according to the meter on the TT control Panel). The battery shows a manufacture date of 9/18, and everything is turned off. I realize there might be a very low trickle of power to the dormant stereo and control panel but that should be it. I figure either the battery is **** or there is some sort of wiring panel causing a drain on the battery. Does anyone have any tips for how to test for either one? The battery on my pop up would last for days when using the heater, lights, and pump,
34 REPLIES 34

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
yillb wrote:
Probably a silly question, but if the battery disconnect is off, there should be no power at all coming from the battery, why aren't you disconnecting it?

probably does not have a battery disconnect swtch! Many TT's do not, including my Keystone Bullet...
Not very difficult to install a battery disconnect or simply take the negative terminal off the battery when RV is not being used or towed.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
yillb wrote:
Probably a silly question, but if the battery disconnect is off, there should be no power at all coming from the battery, why aren't you disconnecting it?

probably does not have a battery disconnect swtch! Many TT's do not, including my Keystone Bullet...
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
coachsburke wrote:
Good call. I also need to figure out how to disconnect the antenna amplifier, as it is never going to be used

Just push the button on the antenna ceiling plate for the amplifier so the green light is off!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
I've seen every answer that could possibly come into play on this thread. Check every one of these that have been mentioned, especially the disconnect switch and the emergency break away.

A word about the emergency breakaway switch, if you activate the breakaway switch you not only kill the battery in a short time, you also stand a good chance of burning out the brake magnets. They are designed to only take short periods of full on 12 volts.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen every answer that could possibly come into play on this thread. Check every one of these that have been mentioned, especially the disconnect switch and the emergency break away.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
salesmen and even service people don't know squat about electrical systems, especially the care and feeding of batteries.
That too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Why do not dealers tell this to new customers? They take a customer threw {sic} a PDI and don't explain it.
Good salesmen never say anything negative.

Because salesmen and even service people don't know squat about electrical systems, especially the care and feeding of batteries.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Why do not dealers tell this to new customers? They take a customer threw {sic} a PDI and don't explain it.
Good salesmen never say anything negative.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about running and extension cord and putting an adapter on it and plug in to your 20 amp service at home? Still need to check the battery but the above is what I do. A monthly check of water levels in the batteries and your good and always charged fully.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
What I have a hard time understanding is this is a very common occurrence. Why do not dealers tell this to new customers? They take a customer threw a PDI and don't explain it.

Because most don't give a rip. When you leave your RV at the dealer for service, best unhook your battery, because the dealer isn't going to.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
What I have a hard time understanding is this is a very common occurrence. Why do not dealers tell this to new customers? They take a customer threw a PDI and don't explain it.
RVs are primarily designed to be plugged in. PDI assumes you store and use the RV plugged in. Battery is just for convenience during transit and to power the breakaway braking system.

Camping off-grid is a bit of art and science mixed together.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
As others have said the "parasitic" drains can add up and can easily amount to 1 amp on newer units. This amounts to 24 amp hours per day. A group 27 battery fully charged has about 80 amp hours.
Parasitic drain can kill a new battery in days. I suggest a battery disconnect switch when not using or disconnect the negative terminal. If the electric emerency brake cord is pulled it will drain a battery in a very short time.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
As others have said the "parasitic" drains can add up and can easily amount to 1 amp on newer units. This amounts to 24 amp hours per day. A group 27 battery fully charged has about 80 amp hours.

Half of which is usable assuming a draw down of no more than 50%. The CO/propane detector alone can easily kill a battery over the course of a week or two.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380