Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Measuring 12v power consumption

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Anyone know of a device for measuring low voltage power draw. I'd like to measure all the phantom power usage to get a better handle on what to expect when dry camping. Ideally, maybe something to prob each fuse socket to isolate each circuit? I suspect my stereo is pulling a lot of juice when sitting idle but that info isn't posted in the manual, only it's max consumption.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
The above all works, but since you're considering dry camping- why not get a proper battery monitor? Something like the Victron BMV?

http://learntorv.com/victron-battery-monitor/

Even better get a Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV. Monitor your usage for a while then you will know exactly what your power draws are.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
My solution is probably overkill for your question, but it sure does work for me. I use the Thornwave Bluetooth Battery Monitor for real time Battery Amps, Volts and Power that I see on my smartphone when I am in the RV. And I got it with the RV Whisper system that logs the Thornwave Bluetooth data and makes it available over the internet.

Ed

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amp Hour meters are around 200 bucks. They measure amps in and out of the battery bank. Voltage. And Amp hours consumed.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Xantrex-Linklite-Battery-Monitor-p/xan84-2030-00.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTj...
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I built up one of these inside a PVC electrical box. Two DC VOLTMETER for each of my two battery banks and one DC AMP meter for the total draw of DC amps... The meter face are glued to the back of the three switch panel...

Roy's image...

I mounted this three meter panel on the cabinet wall where you walkin into my POPUP trailer...

Roy's image

I can judge pretty good my 50% charge state by watching the DC meter panels showing the DC VOLTS level. If it approaches 12.0VDC this tells me my battery banks are down to around the 50% charge state level. This is when I will stop using my batteries until I get them charged up again to at least their 90% charge state... Otherwise I will start doing damage to my batteries...

There are a couple of neat DC POWER PANELS out there that will give a lot of info of your battery status... Some are expensive however...

My meters came from BLUE SEA sales on AMAZON. They are pretty bright when being used so I added a master ON-OFF switch to turn them off. Too bright to be used for nite light...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
I use one of these.

That's fine but it won't work with 12 volts, only for 120 volt AC.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer idles at about 500 milliamps to run the fridge and detectors.

A second battery and 150+ watts solar will go a long way.

Biggest power hogs are incandescent lights (change them to LED) and the furnace blower.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
The above all works, but since you're considering dry camping- why not get a proper battery monitor? Something like the Victron BMV?

http://learntorv.com/victron-battery-monitor/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any multi-meter (with the proper ranges) will do that. Pull the fuse out, put your test lead on each pole of the fuse holder, measure the amp draw.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A DC amp probe similar to this one.
DC amp meter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker