cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I adopted a Collie. ( Update 1st post)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
As you know Mikko passed a relatively short time ago. Scanning the Collie rescue site I found a Collie up for adoption. I made the first inquiry today, well see how it goes.

Well it looks like I have a new Collie pup, 9 weeks old. Sawyer is his name. Sawyer was diagnosed with Collie eye and was a surrender. We're in the process of working out logistics of transportation.
43 REPLIES 43

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Potty training took all of one day, carried him outside whenever he started to have a accident. The dog door helps immensely as well. Cooper did the rest by showing him where to go. Cooper has been instrumental in raising and entertaining Sawyer.

LOL! We had 9-week Jimmy, and my full-sized Aussie, Ike, really mothered him. I had been pretty good about getting Jimmy outside to potty, but one day he had an accident. Ike walked over, sniffed the wet spot, and I swear he looked at little Jimmy and said "DUDE! We don't do that in the house!!"

Jimmy never pottied in the house again. Fast-forward a decade: my vet asked me how I knew so soon, that Jimmy had developed diabetes? I said "he peed in the house - he would NEVER do that if something wasn't wrong"

Ya gotta love those herding breeds ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a blue merle collie cross once that was a great dog. Very smart and went everywhere. Some nice people gave me a male adult rough coat that looked like Lassie. I took him out and he did not know how to behave outside his back yard. He did not know how to swim, and was scared all the time. I gave him back. The blue dog was one of the best I have had in over 50 years. Now I have Border Collies.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Wow Dan, that was quite an Odyssey! I'm glad it worked out so well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sawyer is a seasoned traveler now, he did extremely well traveling. Combined 3 trips into one now just waiting for some warm weather. Sawyer made himself at home from day one. Loves the back yard and dog door. I'm evidently a large human chew toy. Have not taken him into the front yard without a leash, until he's trained to stop at the curb.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Good to know you're safe. So how's Sawyer doing in his new barracks?:C
Sawyer is doing well, he's at the stage where your hand automatically goes into his mouth, just lately have been able to pet him normally. Potty training took all of one day, carried him outside whenever he started to have a accident. The dog door helps immensely as well. Cooper did the rest by showing him where to go. Cooper has been instrumental in raising and entertaining Sawyer.

Some times have to ask what was I thinking to adopt a puppy, I'm use to (seasoned) adult Collies. Probably will never happen again.

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Wow Dan, that was quite an Odyssey! I'm glad it worked out so well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good to know you're safe. So how's Sawyer doing in his new barracks?:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, what a journey! Glad all of you got home safely. The weather is so wicked this year - it has forced us to change our plans to take a trip to Colorado in April because of the conditions on I-70 with the avalanche situations. Sawyer sounds like a great puppy and I hope all works out well for all of you. Congratulations and please post pics when you can.

Rita

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Well Sawyer is back home after a lengthy road trip. I got a phone call Friday morning of another couple adopting a Collie from the same area and they could bring Sawyer to Ames Iowa. I picked up Sawyer at 2pm and drove to Champagne Illinois before stopping from the night at a motel 6. Got up the next morning and drove to Cumberland Marland to pick up a motorcycle. Got to the bike place 15 minutes before they closed ( would have had to wait until Monday if I did not get it Saturday. Got the bike loaded and checked into a motel 6. Got up the next morning and drove to New York to pick up a TT. Got there early and tried to find a pet friendly motel. Finally did 20 minutes from where I needed to pick up the trailer and more then double of the motel 6, was blocks from Westpoint. Got up the next morning got the trailer hooked up but waited for a temporary tag and the wind to subside. I left about 6:30 that evening and drove to Hazleton NJ where I got another motel 6. Got up the next morning and drove from Hazelton to Kingdom city MO where being very tired stopped at yet another motel 6 for the night. Got up the next morning faced freezing drizzle on I70 and going through Kansas City. Kansas City had multiple wrecks and roads closed because of it. Finally back home Wednesday after 3200 mile road trip. Sawyer did great slept in his crate most of the time. I stayed at motel 6 because of their pet policy and reasonable rates. All the places I stayed were clean and I especially appreciate the laminate wood floors with a new puppy. Sawyer slept in his crate, Cooper took the spare bed to get away from Sawyer.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Any update on your new family member, colliehauler? Just wondered. I checked back and you should have him home by now, so thought I'd ask.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats. What a lucky dog to get you as parents.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper and I will pick up Sawyer the 23rd.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Wow - a brand new puppy!! That will keep you on your toes ๐Ÿ˜‰

My full-size Aussie Ike, and Cattle Dog Jack, were both adult rescues - and they brought a LOT of baggage from abuse in their life prior-to-me. With Ike, it was a paralyzing fear of men; with Jack it was a basketful of dog aggression.

So Jimmy (the diabetic aussie-poo) was my first puppy in a long time. I was able to shape his outlook on life and he's been my sweet buddy (and everybody's friend) ever since. Same for Ben.

Your puppy is a blank canvas - paint a beautiful picture!!
I have had Collies that have been abused and know what your saying. With Sadie I could not raise my hand over my head without her cowering. I just can't understand why people do things like that. I have always used positive reinforcement for training.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck and congratulations.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
How was the pup diagnosed with CEA: DNA test, ophthalmological exam at 6-8 weeks of age, or ophthalmological after 10 weeks of age? Is it possible for the pup to be โ€œgo normalโ€?

Mark
I just don't have much information as of yet. Will keep you informed when I know more. This went from a thinking about adopting to adopt in 12 hrs. So far he has good vision.