cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Antenna

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have Dish Network at home. When we go on long camping trips we would like to view our current recordings on TV. We see so many models of dish playmaker/tailgater antennas; how do we know which on will work for us? It would seem that a permanent dish antenna would be more convenient but are there any cautions we should know of?
Has anyone had good or bad experiences?
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!
15 REPLIES 15

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Winegard Playmaker is setup to work with the Wally only. Maybe that's what you are referring to.

Have a Wally and both the inmotion roof antenna and the carry out work.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a Wally & a Tailgater and add them to your home service for $7 a month. Turn it off and on with the My Dish app and pay only the months used. Local channels if you have them are change with the app to the area you are setup.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard Playmaker is setup to work with the Wally only. Maybe that's what you are referring to.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
gheicher wrote:
I purchased a tailgater antenna from Dish. They will tell you if your home receiver is compatible - Most newer Dish receivers are.

Cost was equal to other retailers and advantage buying from Dish it includes their service.

The only current model Dish receiver that works with a Tailgater is the Wally. None of the Hopper models work with any of the automatic dome antennas. The Hoppers require a full open face multi-satellite dish.

My Tailgater came paired with a ViP211z.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The only current model Dish receiver that works with a Tailgater is the Wally. None of the Hopper models work with any of the automatic dome antennas. The Hoppers require a full open face multi-satellite dish.

The receivers listed for use with my Tailgater are Wally, ViP211z, ViP211k, ViP211, and 411

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
gheicher wrote:
I purchased a tailgater antenna from Dish. They will tell you if your home receiver is compatible - Most newer Dish receivers are.

Cost was equal to other retailers and advantage buying from Dish it includes their service.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much depends upon the type DVR you have at home and whether you want to watch live TV as well as the recorded programming. Tell us a bit more about what receiver you plan to use and how you want to use it.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish at home.
BIL gave us a Wineguard Carryout antenna.
But we discovered that with the Dish Anywhere app, using cellphone as a hotspot, we can watch everything we want as if we were at home.
We can watch live shows or anything we have recorded on the DVR.
We just cast it to our Smart TV.
So we don't have to buy an additional receiver, that doesn't have a DVR.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
We currently have Dish Network at home. When we go on long camping trips we would like to view our current recordings on TV. We see so many models of dish playmaker/tailgater antennas; how do we know which on will work for us? It would seem that a permanent dish antenna would be more convenient but are there any cautions we should know of?
Has anyone had good or bad experiences?

Assuming you have a Hopper DVR then this may be what you want.
https://www.dish.com/equipment/dvrs/hoppergo/
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Fire19 wrote:
If you have a DVR receiver from Dish you do not need signal to watch what is recorded at least I don't on my 722K.

Ditto
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Fire19
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a DVR receiver from Dish you do not need signal to watch what is recorded at least I don't on my 722K.
2000 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
2002 Gulfstream Seahawk 29FKS
1998 GL1500SE

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Traveler in motion permanent dish on our roof. The wife can watch TV on long trips. The only downside is a highly treed campsite. I have spent 30 mins moving forward and backward trying to get a signal. This year we purchased an X2 portable dish for those treed sites, so I am looking forward to using that as well for TV. We do travel some places where you just cant pull in an OTA channel, and our Dish service has local channels plus, we wouldn't travel without it.

As far as recordings you made at home, you would have to carry that DVR box to your RV and take it with you, as it stores those recordings on a hard drive within the receiver.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad