cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wfco power center going bad?

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. So the day I bring the camper home from getting greased and brakes (cause I blew the seals out) I noticed the camper was dead. It was off the shore line for a week. Didnโ€™t think much of it, plugged into truck, hooked up and brought home. I plugged into shore line at home and ran slides out. They were slow. Noticed the converter was buzzing so I took the cover off. It had stopped buzzing by then and there was no sound, 10 volts to dc side, was looking at my disarray of tools and the converter clicked, lights brightened then was off again. Any thoughts? Wf 8965
18 REPLIES 18

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
WFCO's are bad when they leave the factory. (Esp the converter charger portion of them).
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Lol battery is bad and the converter. The converter never kicked on while running furnace so I unhooked the battery and the converter put out 5 volts.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
If I do have to replace the converter which Iโ€™m pretty doubtful now.... I think Iโ€™d be ok with little smaller one. Iโ€™ve replaced all my lights with led and sometimes Iโ€™ll throw the 30 amp breaker when everything is on and the converter kicks on. Course I doubt the difference would be half an amp.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
rrupert wrote:
I don't think you want to replace a 65amp board with a 45amp board.
Actually I do recommend a smaller converter unless the OP has an extra large battery or large 12v draw such as multiple tank heaters. Especially when going with a Boondocker converter due to the charging profile.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Charged all night, 10 volts, threw battery tester on, weak, getting a new battery.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
stew47 wrote:
Any thoughts? Wf 8965
http://www.bestconverter.com/BD-1245-MBA-45-Amp-4-Stage-Main-Board-Replacement

I don't think you want to replace a 65amp board with a 45amp board.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would first get the battery checked. They short internally and will not charge. When they short, they sit at around 10V.
If battery is OK, it's new converter time.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I agree; sounds like the battery. You specifically said it was dead when you got it back from the shop, It may have been drawn down (or shorted) and not recharged to the point it was damaged. Get the battery check first before going through a converter change out that wont do anything for a damaged battery.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
A better converter won't fix a damaged battery... at least try charging the batteries indoors (somewhere above freezing at least) for 24 hours and get it tested for free at auto parts shop.

Yea thatโ€™s good advice. Iโ€™ll do that tomorrow.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A better converter won't fix a damaged battery... at least try charging the batteries indoors (somewhere above freezing at least) for 24 hours and get it tested for free at auto parts shop.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I came back out to take a look again. Batteries are now at 11, converter buzzes for a while , kicks on, provides 14.4 volts then quickly shuts off. 4 weeks till Florida. Iโ€™ll just replace with little better converter and be done with.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My WFCO was not functioning the day it was installed at the factory. It did not charge above 13.6 volts even when I let the battery get low on purpose. I installed a Progressive Dynamics and when I plugged in the TT, the digital voltmeter went straight to 14.4 volts and charged the battery quickly, the converter then switched to 13.6
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
if your battery was dead in freezing weather it is now frozen your wfco will not like that you may now have a shorted cell in the battery

X2
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed