cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NOLA Park Recommendation

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we may be heading to NOLA in a couple of months, well after Mardi Gras, to see the WWII Museum. we have zero interest in seeing or experiencing the French Quarter...not our style. looking for a FHU RV park recommendation. prefer a quiet place away from the rowdiness...if such a place actually exists. also recommendations on what else to see. TIA.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
22 REPLIES 22

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. we will.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
The FQ has its share of crazy, but I loved walking around and getting great photos of the interesting and unusual people, and the interesting and unusual architecture. I only went to a couple bars (I'm not much for bars) but there is music of all kinds on every street, inside establishments, on the sidewalks and actually on the street itself!

Be prepared to pay for parking and watch your back if you are out late.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
FQRV may not be for everyone..But sewer.......please!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
the FQ is definitely not for us. friends who have been liken it to a sewer.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
The French Qtr RV Resort is just a couple blocks; walking distance from the Qtr, so if you want to be right there and have great access, then it might be for you. St Louis No. 2 is literally right next door. That is where the Voodoo Princess Marie Catherine Laveau is buried. The campground is about 2-3 miles from the WWII museum.

On the less positive side, you can actually look down into it from the I-10 freeway so I imagine it's not too quiet. It's also a bit pricey. The standard rate is $105 per night, weekly rate is $680, these rates go up during special events. It's basically a flat paved area with slots for RVs. There is also not much in the way of trees, vegetation or separation from your neighbor.

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
So no one is recommending the French Quarter RV Resort? I thought it looked sketchy just from Google Earth.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
hawkhill wrote:
Well, Bayou Segnette State Park mets all of your qualifications, except it does not have Sewer hook up. You'll have access to free decent WiFi, good cellphone connection, free laundry, and long flat spacious sites. Some of which have nice wooden patios. It is quiet, but there are a couple of good restaurants nearby. We did not use their restroom facilities; however, we did hear that they were a little dated. There is some waterways in the park so bring mosquito repellent.

X2 on Bayou Signette. All of the above at a very reasonable price. Itโ€™s on the other side of the river from the city, and a short drive to a ferry that will take you across the river for a couple of bucks. From there, itโ€™s a reasonable walk to the WWII museum, or a short cab ride if youโ€™d rather go that route. Itโ€™s been our go-to location for NOLA for a few years now. And then thereโ€™s the fresh fish/shrimp market just down the road. Whatโ€™s not to like?
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

dedmiston
Moved from RV Lifestyles

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for your take on NOLA. weโ€™re looking to stay in the area for about a week at most.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in New Orleans for about 15 months, which biases my answer a bit. We stayed at Ponchartrain Landing RV Resort.

www.pontchartrainlanding.com

It was the only RV park that allowed long term stays that wasn't downright dangerous. I never went to the KOA, since it only allows stays of 2 weeks or so and is on the far west side of town, but it is probably a fine alternative.

Ponchartrain Landing is very close to downtown and the WWII museum. They have a shuttle that takes you to the French Qtr 3 times a day I believe, and you can probably get public transportation the rest of the way or taxi/uber.

It is a fairly large campground with a restaurant, bar and small store on site. It's usually quiet there and is close to grocery stores, etc. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a marina since it is right on the intercoastal waterway which leads to Lake Ponchartrain, about a mile away. There is a security fence that has a passworded gate that closes at night. They have a security patrol as well.

It is on a road which is on Port Authority grounds and upon seeing it for the first time it can be a bit shocking. The first warehouse you see as you leave the main road is dilapidated and unrepaired since Katrina, but it is the only one on the road that is like that.

Most roads in NOLA are full of potholes and this isn't one of the best, but they try to keep it repaired.

I considered camping across the lake at some of the places in Mandeville, but to get back and forth to the city you need to traverse the Causeway. It is the longest over-water bridge in the world at almost 24 miles. Look it up. The Causeway also has a very high rate of accidents along its length. I do not believe that RVs and trucks are allowed on it.

I found Ponchartrain Landing a very nice place to stay ... the only place to stay in New Orleans if you ask me.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
thanks!
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
one more thing....wife wants to know how much tree cover? she's wondering about being able to use our rooftop sat dish.

Sorry for the delay. It probably depends on what site you get. I don't have any good pictures of the rest of the campground. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Here's a link to Google Maps Aerial view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/New+Orleans+KOA/@29.9701353,-90.2346121,128a,35y,358.04h,45t/data=...

And here's a shot showing the backs of the campers on our row:
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
You'll love the WWII museum, it is awesome! and agree the French quarter is a sewer. There are some great places to eat, though!

X2

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
one more thing....wife wants to know how much tree cover? she's wondering about being able to use our rooftop sat dish.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK