cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water ingestion in engine on 2011 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH

6string
Explorer
Explorer
At 50,000 miles I got a crankcase pressure high code. After changing many filters they had to pull the head off my Cummins engine. Cylinders glazed and signs of water ingestion. Had a complete overhaul. I proved they were right by pulling air intake hose off filter and putting a bag over the hose. One good day of rain and I had maybe a quart of water in the bag that would have been in the air filter. Has anyone had this problem. Trying to find out if this was a common problem. Thank you
13 REPLIES 13

lperegrine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I sent 6string a PM.
Larry Peregrine

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
lperegrine wrote:
We have our 2011 40QBH currently in a diesel shop with water in the oil. Extensive repairs required. Details of the exact damage and repairs required unknown today. I'm trying to find out how this happened and what I need to fix to prevent it from happening again. Calling Tiffin service. Since this is a post from 2019, can you update me?

The OP (6string) may no longer be subscribed to this thread. I would suggest sending him a private message just in case.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

lperegrine
Explorer
Explorer
We have our 2011 40QBH currently in a diesel shop with water in the oil. Extensive repairs required. Details of the exact damage and repairs required unknown today. I'm trying to find out how this happened and what I need to fix to prevent it from happening again. Calling Tiffin service. Since this is a post from 2019, can you update me?
Larry Peregrine

6string
Explorer
Explorer
I said in first post. Cylinders were glazed and signs of water ingestion. Not asking to discuss this only has any tiffin owners had this problem.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Can you enlighten us on exactly what engine damage was caused by the water (see my post above).

That could be a help to others.

Thanks.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

6string
Explorer
Explorer
Back to original post. How about you Tiffin Phaeton owners? Any water injestion problems with your engine?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Two most likely cause of engine failure are:

Large enough quantity to cause hydrolock bends rod(s) and/or break piston(s).

Water soak air filter so it fails and allows dirt to enter engine. This is known as "dusting".

Was the oil milky?

Please let us know which of these or other damage was incurred. Have never heard of enough water ingestion that it would cause cylinder wall glazing and excessive blow-by.

But, depending on engine (parent bore or linered) glazed cylinders (if this the only damage) should not require a "complete" overhaul.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Short term metered water vapor injection can be used for a quick power boost but the engine needs to be properly configured. A modern computer controlled engine the gain might marginal or even result in a loss of engine power without reprogramming. Many fighters and heavy bombers during WW2 used water injection for short term boosts during take off with a heavy load or during dog fights.

Un-meter rain water ingestion into a modern day diesel engine? I suspect it is something best avoided. I'm a bit surprised that who ever rebuilt the engine didn't go thru the intake and such searching for a cause of the water such as a clogged drain.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

TCollins
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between water vapor injection and ingestion of a large slug of water.

Guys who build up their diesels use water vapor injection to increase power and assist in cooling the combustion chamber. Sometimes they will add something like alcohol to the water to increase power. Pullers (farm tractors) will inject gallons of water in a pull to keep things cooler.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something occurred to me. Since I'm not Diesel certified or expierenced I can not comment directly on this issue.. but...

You speak of water ingestion and the "Tone" indicates this is damaging to the engine (not arguing or questioning that. Believe it to be fact).

I recall not long ago reading about "Water vapor injection" systems that basically sprayed water into the air intake to improve MPG/Performance.

The ads kept hitting my Snake Oil filter as.. Well... Back to the original post for an explanation of why I was leary of them. .I suspected just what the OP typed.

Some body builders do a great job some not so good. Many Workhorse (Gassers) the body builder builds it so they suck water when it rains.. NO EVIDENCE mine does. but.... Well.. I may have just not seen it
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are used in the storage bays, too. They often weld together.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Your coach has the air intake at the upper left (driver's side) corner of the rear cap. There is a large diameter tube that runs down the inside wall of the rear cap, turns and goes into the air cleaner. Typically, at the bend in the tube as it turns toward the engine is a drain. Many have a "duck valve" type rubber drain. Looks like two large rubber lips hanging down. It's suppose to drain and water coming in through the air intake. Check your coach for that drain valve.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
You need to check your air filter, it should have a drain hole in the bottom to remove any water that comes in the air pipe.