Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing black tank for septic system

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone done this?

Just bought a 2017 Coleman Travel Trailer to park and hook into a septic system and want to bypass the black water tank and hopefully even install a residential toilet. Is there a simple or better way of doing this?
19 REPLIES 19

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
kilboar wrote:
Is there or should there be a clear section of pipe from the black tank so you know if it flowing or when it's empty?

Only if you buy one and put it between the outlet and the stinky slinky. I have one and always use it. It lets me see when the flow is completely finished.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all.

I just realized the black tank on the camper I bought came pre loaded:-/ It's at my camp so I need to wait till the septic is in place before I can release the contents.

Is there or should there be a clear section of pipe from the black tank so you know if it flowing or when it's empty?

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
kilboar wrote:
Another big reason is I'd like an adult size elongated toilet bowl so my junk isn't one with the inside front of the bowl when in use. This thing looks like I'll be dumping inside a coffee can.

Replace the toilet with a Dometic 320 which has an elongated bowl and sits at a normal home toilet height.

Do you have this same one? Do you like it better?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kilboar wrote:
Another big reason is I'd like an adult size elongated toilet bowl so my junk isn't one with the inside front of the bowl when in use. This thing looks like I'll be dumping inside a coffee can.

Replace the toilet with a Dometic 320 which has an elongated bowl and sits at a normal home toilet height.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
Had a permanent trailer in a park for 10 years now. Bought it used at 15 years. The neighbor told me he just leaves his open. So I did this. After about 2 - 3 months we no longer had water flowing out the black tank.

So we had to adjust. After ever flush we fill the bowl and dump 1 - 2 full dumps of water through the system. Further twice a season I close the tank and fill it to the rim and put in some enzymes. I let it sit for 5 days and dump it. 9 years now and not a problem since.

I am pretty sure this is what most people in the park are doing..

edit...

I should add... I know this is not "the right way" to do it.. Just letting you know what works for me..

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
kilboar wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
I vote with Ed. Bunch of work for little return.

Thank you,

I thought I knew something about TT but coming from a FEMA TT with a residential toilet and a septic tank I'm used to once I was done with my business and paper work it was gone, never to be seen or smelled again. Using this new TT again as a stationary unit I'd like the same experience and do not want to worry about fumes seeping back inside or dealing with black tank maintenance if I don't have to.

As far as resale, I'll keep the tank and try to make any work I do reversible but I'm not to concerned about the next owner as much as I am the current owner.

My father inlaw has been living in one the last couple years, as far as maintenance... he does nothing other than dump it and put more water back in. Are you sure you might be overthinking things here?

That's highly likely:-)

I may just need to uses it for a while then decide.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
kilboar wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Thank you,

I thought I knew something about TT but coming from a FEMA TT with a residential toilet and a septic tank I'm used to once I was done with my business and paper work it was gone, never to be seen or smelled again. Using this new TT again as a stationary unit I'd like the same experience and do not want to worry about fumes seeping back inside or dealing with black tank maintenance if I don't have to.

As far as resale, I'll keep the tank and try to make any work I do reversible but I'm not to concerned about the next owner as much as I am the current owner.

My father inlaw has been living in one the last couple years, as far as maintenance... he does nothing other than dump it and put more water back in. Are you sure you might be overthinking things here?

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Hes going to use it as a cabin and not move it.
To the OP, you doing the same with the gray tank or still plan on dump ing it?

Yes i gather that i was just wondering if there are advantages other than not having to dump the tank. My father inlaw just moved into one (86 years old!) and is loving it for two years. He fills the tank halfway or so and then dumps which is about once per week.

And he gets no smells inside the TT?

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
It would just depend on the configuration of things once you pull the tank. Every trailer is going to be setup differently so it's tough to give advice. The biggest headache is going to be disturbing the underside to remove the tank and rework the waste piping. I don't think it's a ridiculous idea as long as you are going to keep the trailer stationary for a long time. Holding and dumping every week or two would get old quickly. Once you setup the waste piping correctly there's no reason you can't install a residential toilet.

Just remember the only two things that matter when doing the work - "stuff" only rolls down hill and don't chew your nails ๐Ÿ™‚

LOL, I need to remember to nails part:-) I'm thinking of even covering up the old hole to re-set a larger residential toilet. My concern now is an air vent. I'm sure it will be clearer one I get it opened up.

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
It would just depend on the configuration of things once you pull the tank. Every trailer is going to be setup differently so it's tough to give advice. The biggest headache is going to be disturbing the underside to remove the tank and rework the waste piping. I don't think it's a ridiculous idea as long as you are going to keep the trailer stationary for a long time. Holding and dumping every week or two would get old quickly. Once you setup the waste piping correctly there's no reason you can't install a residential toilet.

Just remember the only two things that matter when doing the work - "stuff" only rolls down hill and don't chew your nails ๐Ÿ™‚

Not sure if I'd need to with the gray tank. My thought is to just leave it open.

kilboar
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Thank you,

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
Why would you want to do it, what are the advantages?

No more dumping
No more flushing out the tank
No more chemicals

the first bit of trouble I have with mine I will do it too

Guy

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Hes going to use it as a cabin and not move it.
To the OP, you doing the same with the gray tank or still plan on dump ing it?

Yes i gather that i was just wondering if there are advantages other than not having to dump the tank. My father inlaw just moved into one (86 years old!) and is loving it for two years. He fills the tank halfway or so and then dumps which is about once per week.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer