cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Camera

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I took my tailgate off today. Reality has finally sunk in that I will be without my ever present rear parking aids. For the Ford owners out there, or others that know, are there some decent rear cameras that can tie into the sync 360 stuff?
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)
22 REPLIES 22

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Mirrors are good, but too many blind spots.
In last few years people close to me had 2 accidents, when walking on parking lot got run over by backing up SUV and car. Both cases ended with long hospital recovery after 2 mph incidents.
Than you can always send a passenger back there...
On other hand, European cars lately are coming with pyrotechnic hinges on the hood.
In case the car hits a pedestrian, the hood pops up to give additional spring cushion.
There is no limit how much safety you might consider necessary.

rwiegand
Explorer
Explorer
My truck has these big shiny things that hang off the the sides of the doors. When I look in them I can see behind me!

Next thing you're going to tell me is that they now have trucks that shift their own gears! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I don't know about connecting to existing camera systems since I don't have one, I installed a three camera setup from Rearview Safety (hitch, back of camper, back of trailer) that I've been pretty happy with. The quality of the interconnects and wires was really good, though it should be for the price.
Cheers, Roger
www.carouselorgan.com
Lance 851
2007 Ford F350, Diesel, Dually Ext. cab

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
What camera source sells for the fords with 360 cam is part number CS-FTRSK-17SDRC $415 and is the same Rostra 250-8660 $329 on Amazon.

I ordered via Amazon and it has already shipped. I will report back when I get it installed.

Thanks to all!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or, you could just go to https://camera-source.com and get what you need.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has the brown fakra cable plus squarish typical connections under the truck. In the tailgate, the brown fakra connects to a pigtail that goes on to the camera and lock mechanism. Two cable part numbers from where it plugs to the truck. I have yet to find a ford dealer that can locate a parts diagram for the tailgate.

I may just go with the Rostra full setup for now. Fingers crossed that it has the backup lines. If so, I will sell my camera and be satisfied.

Thanks for the help!

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
yes I get backup lines and the 360 view, odd that they are different because the camera I linked is the one in my tailgate and also the one KayTeg has. My truck is a 2017, maybe they changed it since then. Your plugs must be different when you disconnect the tailgate as well.

Mine has two plugs to disconnect the tailgate, the bigger plug looks similar to the plug you posted but it's not for the camera, just the electronics. The smaller brown Fakra cable is for the camera on mine.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you get backup lines with that camera? That is one thing I feel I want. The camera I show is the exact one that is in my tailgate. I saw a youtube video where a rear camera is added to a 2017 XL and the camera connection is the same. I don't doubt what you say, just that I see more like mine when I look around. Still the lack of a cable leaves me with doubt.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin:

I found the cables on ebay, just search for 'brown fakra cable f to f'

they're keyed differently by color so you want the brown

PS: I see that it doesn't match the camera you got... I think they sold you the wrong camera. That camera looks like the one meant to plug into the 'trailer camera'

The part# I have for the OEM tailgate camera is part # hc3t-19g490-df

I got that part# from the link below

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1487287-looking-for-a-5th-wheel-tailgate-camera.html

I have the 360 cameras and Platinum trim, it may be different for the lower trims.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
In looking further at OEM cameras, I know the front camera has a coax connection like yours Keyteg. Rear may have more connections for the backup lines you see on the screen. Just guessing.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am pretty sure its the correct part. I'm going to open mine up and verify. There is a cable connection to the final harness that looks like that. I am not sure why it would be different. Here is where I decided it was correct.
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-rear-camera-jc3z19g490a?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKmtlo6c4gIVZxitBh2rLgIZEAQYASABEgKRq_D_BwE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd go old skool.....mirrors ftw!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you have right plug/cable?
Here is how camera cable looks on my 2017 Ford.
I posted part number in the linked topic.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got the OEM camera for my truck but am still trying to find a source for the cable. Camera is part number JC3Z-19G490-A and has a 6 pin connector. Looking for the mating cable.

I stopped by my local ford and they cannot find the cable. Had a list of 10 or so parts with no real description. Not much help there.

kpherzog
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased and installed the Camera-Source kit on our Ram a year ago. The camera worked well, but failed after 3 months. Camera-Source replaced it immediately, no questions asked. The second camera continues to work with no problems.. I would buy from them again.