cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yamaha 2000 ie. running eratic

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We r on our trip south and when I start it it runs ok for about 5 min then will almost die but then revs right back up again. Some times every 5 to 10 seconds or maybe 40 to 60.
Never dies completely.
I pulled choke slightly....still does it. Cracked fuel cap. Still does it. Turned off eco switch. Still does it.
Under big load still does it??
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
22 REPLIES 22

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
Mine ended up going back to the dealer and was rebuilt. Runs fine now, was only the second one they had do that. You could faintly smell the burnt oil at times when it was running. I have not had to add any since.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I've always use Mobil 1 in my EU2000. It isn't called for but air cooled engines can get toasty and it takes less than a quart, so why not.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many generator manuals suggest the first oil change at 20 hours. There after--every 50 or 100 hours. I went to synthetic because I knew I would be doing cold weather starts.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will they use oil during break in period? Feel bad I didnโ€™t check it. I doubt it has 50 hours on it. Just didnโ€™t think it would be burning oil

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
Oil was low. Sucked out what I could.
Now runs fine. I thought with oil alert it would not run atall.
Thanks my friends.

Good to hear it was an easy fix.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oil was low. Sucked out what I could.
Now runs fine. I thought with oil alert it would not run atall.
Thanks my friends.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
What kind of oil should I replace with. Syn or regular.

GordonThree wrote:
I suppose you could use Syn but what's the point?

Back when I was experimenting with starting my 13,500 BTU A/C with the first of 2 Honda EU2000i gensets I owned and was having mixed results even in moderate temps an rv.net forum member suggested swapping out the dino oil for synth. I switched to Mobil 1 and the genset thereafter would reliably start that A/C each and every time up to ~ 85F. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Jets are plugged, they are microscopic.

If you don't have the tools, space and know how to pull the carb and clean it out search around you for a Yamaha motorcycle dealer and their service department will be able to overhaul it for you.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Oil
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:

I use conventional 10w40 oil as spec'd in the manual. I buy Valvoline 5 qt jugs when it's on sale, lasts a few seasons. Last sale was a buy one get one free, so 10 qts of oil for $22 bucks, will last my gens a long time.

I suppose you could use Syn but what's the point? These small engines aren't pumping oil anywhere through tiny passages, valves, filters, etc, they just splash a little around from the oil pan as the crank rotates.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mentioned that only Non-Ethanol gas should be used in small engines? My little Yamaha EF1000is was running very rough and finally quit. I took it into the dealer shop and they tore the carb down and cleaned it. It ran like a top. I was told to only run Non-Ethanol gas from then on. The ethanol leaves little particles in the carb.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda was surging. I tried Seafoam but no good. Carb needed cleaning. The jets in these things are tiny and it doesn't take much to varnish them up. Now I just use no ethanol fuel and if I'm not using the generator for awhile, I drain the tank then run it till it quits. I never store it with fuel left in the carb, stabilizer or no stabilizer.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Add some to see if that fixes it. When full, oil should be just about spilling out sitting level.
Changing the oil, just have to tip it over and pour it out. Little teapot, lol.
If filling oil doesn't work, then sea foam. If that doesn't work then carb may need to be pulled apart and cleaned.
Even with good practices with fresh fuel, sometimes ____happens. Buddys son's dirtbike. Not new, but it is spotless and he knows how to take care of engines as good as anyone. It started sucking little pieces of varnish or something into the carb. No idea how or from what. Same fuel, same cans as other bikes, only no E or race gas, etc.
weird inexplicable deal. Put a filter on the line and it's catching little pieces of "stuff" from the tank. This is after having it for a year or so.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oil may be low. Sitting on flat surface I have to tip it a bit to see oil. To change do you suck it out?