cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive ind VS TRC?

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a hard wired surge guard, and was wondering about these two brands, the progressive ind one is a hardwired one, like the TRC is.(30 amp) I have heard about the TRC one "humming" but haven't heard of the progressive one ever doing it. I would like to hear from those who have these units, personal experiences etc...
Proud father of a US Marine
10 REPLIES 10

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Progressive EMS-HW30C and have been happy with it. I do not have a transfer switch, just a generator out receptacle that you plug the shore cord into. I wired the shore cord into the EMS so it protects from either shore power or the generator. It works fine and I have not had any issues with it. I like the remote indicator, as I am always looking at voltage as A/C, microwave, and water heater are used (microwave and water heater share a circuit with a priority box that allows the microwave to run and shuts off the water heater. When microwave stops, water heater gets it power back.)

I am a technical person, so being able to see the volts, amps and cycles is nice. The long delay is 136 seconds. Some new A/C units have time delays built into them, and if yours does, you can go with the short delay.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I installed my built-in PI unit, I took the HOT/NEUTRAL/GROUND wires out of the breaker box and wired them into the PI unit. I bought 3 feet of 10-2 w/G and ran from the PI unit back to the breaker box. No matter where my trailer is getting power, it is protected. (I have a 30 amp trailer. If I had a 50 amp unit, I would have bought 3 feet of 6/3 w/G.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The major difference is the warranty and since PI has been bought and sold I do not know if they still offer limited lifetime. TRC is one year.

Outdated information - some TRC models now include a limited lifetime warranty as well.

My Progressive EMS-HW30C began to hum so badly I repackaged it in a larger plastic toolbox so I could float the contactor and prevent it from inducing any vibration into the plastic case.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailers it goes in front of the breaker/fuse panel
Motor homes (Or trailers with an auto transfer switch and generator) I would put it in the shore power-ATS lead.. but that's me. Some put it between ATS and Breaker box. but my ONAN (most inverter and most all ONAN) generators have their own protective electronics in them to cover what the surge guard does.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just to check, on my jayco greyhawk, the fuse panel, etc.. Is under the bed in the back of the coach. Im guessing that i would place the PD unit between the incoming power and the fuse panel? That way it would be after the automatic transfer switch and before the fuse/power panel / distribution block to the coach

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My PD is dead silent.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Lol... I just read the "limited lifetime warranty" on the progressive ind website... WOW...oh well, i guess buying a whole new unit beats replacing lots of other electronics in the RV

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I also had bad luck with TRC. Replaced it with progressive industries one and never had a problem since (5 years and counting)
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both units are nearly identical in both form and function. The "Humming" you heard of is the power contactors getting old or something keeping them from fully locking up (IE: an insect on the magnet end) The major difference is the warranty and since PI has been bought and sold I do not know if they still offer limited lifetime. TRC is one year. I would not hesitate to recommend either one though the PI I give preference to due to the warranty.}

But confirm that before you buy.

Set it for "long delay" before turn on (The Hard wired can be set to 15 or 170 (roughly) seconds set for long delay.

WHy long delay
Well if power "Blinks" (like a 1 second power fail) or fails for longer period on power up every A/C in the park.. save yours.. will try to start. most will fail and retry a couple times before they finally settle down. During this period the voltage in the park is all over the place on a roller coaster ride.

Then finally. once it has all settled down.. Yours kicks in normally.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had kind of bad luck with the SurgeGuard. It quit once, not sure why, and they replaced it under warranty. The second time it quit it shorted out and sparked and made a lot of smoke. It turns out that water had gotten inside and shorted out the innards. We had experienced a lot of rain, but it was not immersed in a puddle so I was not happy about that experience.

We now have the Progressive model and it's working fine, and seems to be better waterproofed than the SurgeGuard was. We never noticed any "humming" from our SurgeGuard. It was the 50 amp model.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"