cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ISX 600 HP Cummins engine pros or cons

daveb1256
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering purchase of a 2006 Monaco that has the Cummins 600 HP ISX engine. Has anyone had experience with this engine, maintenance issues, recalls or any pros or cons. This engine currently has 1050 hours or 38K miles on it, appears to be very clean with no leaks or other observable problems.
26 REPLIES 26

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
I'm somewhat confused. A nice refubished ISX will run you $14K and up to $4K to install it. Installing a 2018 ISX (motor+Install) will run you as much as $26K.......Why on earth would I pay $30K to drop and repair the #6 intake valve?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw MrD posted this today. I think he will have spent over 50k on this engine.

"There have been NO reports of the rebuilt 650's breaking valves after being rebuilt with the latest parts. Cummins can't tell me if mine got the good valves when it was rebuilt in April 2015 so I'm spending another $20,000 to have the latest head and valves installed."
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
daveb1256 wrote:
Sound advice, we have given up on this coach. Thank you!

Good idea

Ditto! Great that you posted in this forum and waited for knowledgeable people to answer!
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
daveb1256 wrote:

Good idea
2015 Wrangler JKU

daveb1256
Explorer
Explorer

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike,

I went back and re-read what Mr. D is going through.

"The head I have is part # 4331387 with a release date of Aug 6 2014. The latest is #5413782 released Sept 2016. Since mine was rebuilt the second time in May 2015 there is no way I have the latest parts.
I know of one that went to about $40,000 cdn and another premptive rebuild that went $25,000 usd.

Doing more reading I see that another clue is VGT errors and I did get those this last time out but I don't have a miss or check engine light."

So, the engine would be going through a third valve replacement.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Daveb1256, the guy on the other site might be having this done for the second time and Cummins, at this point, is not standing up to pay for the repair.

This guy will have over $50,000 in engine repairs on his Country Coach if he goes for the second repair (hasn't broken yet, oil analysis is indicating heavy metals).

If the chances are 1 in 10,000 and if it's you, it will feel like every one of the engines are failing.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it unless you know that the serial numbers of failures are not in that band. If the number falls within the range, I would want to get the price down to cover the repair,

Good luck,
MM.

I believe that engine will be on its third time.
I think it was done before he purchased it. Then he had it done after it dropped the valve after his purchase and if I remember reading that thread a long time back Cummins can't verify what parts were used in the rebuild the second time so he might be doing it again.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Daveb1256, the guy on the other site might be having this done for the second time and Cummins, at this point, is not standing up to pay for the repair.

This guy will have over $50,000 in engine repairs on his Country Coach if he goes for the second repair (hasn't broken yet, oil analysis is indicating heavy metals).

If the chances are 1 in 10,000 and if it's you, it will feel like every one of the engines are failing.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it unless you know that the serial numbers of failures are not in that band. If the number falls within the range, I would want to get the price down to cover the repair,

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

daveb1256
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your opinions about the 2006 Cummins ISX 600 engine. To help me put it in perspective, could someone tell me how common this issue with the #6 valve stem failing is? Is it rare or a regular occurrence in motorhomes? Ivylog seems to believe it is a real possibility. What are the odds? 1 in 10, 1 in 1000, 1 in 50,000? Should this really keep me from purchasing a MH that otherwise has everything we are looking for? Sure, I too would prefer the Detroit, but trying to find a Signature with both a Detroit and a king bed has so far not been achievable....

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
sandblast wrote:
Has Cummins gone to a single OHC in the newer engines? If so what year?

Yes but I do not know for sure what year for the ISX 15.

Thank You

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

Thanks for trying to helpThis is my final MH as Iโ€™ll age out before it does.

I think I heard you say that about your Dynasty.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
Ivylog wrote:

I had to have a 08 MH because of a 10 year rule where we snowbird.

Sounds like you need a newer motorhome again. :E

Thanks for trying to helping me spend some $$$ Fortunately itโ€™s a dumb 10 year rule as once in the park it can be 25+ years old...in 15+ years. This is my final MH as Iโ€™ll age out before it does.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
sandblast wrote:

Yes but I do not know for sure what year for the ISX 15.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer