cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 Diesel Exhaust Brake

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a clean 2006 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 diesel.

I really want an exhaust brake on it, but I simply can't afford another $2000 right at this time.

Is there anywhere to buy a used one?

Any tips to save some $$$?

Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
11 REPLIES 11

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
What did you do?

I paid about $1k or less for my brand new one, could have been $850. Installed myself with little issues, the hardest part was fishing the wire through the firewall..

I have used it a lot with no issues.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diesel Camper,
I didn't know you participated here but I enjoyed your in engine in truck rebuild video a while back.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
I just bought a clean 2006 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 diesel.

I really want an exhaust brake on it, but I simply can't afford another $2000 right at this time.

Is there anywhere to buy a used one?

Any tips to save some $$$?

Thanks

Wish I would have seen this earlier! Your 06 can run an exhaust brake from the factory ecm with no aftermarket controller necessary. All you need is the pacbrake (brake only kit) and an air compressor setup.

Then all you have to do is follow these directions:
Pacbrake Instructions

For the ecm wiring you need 2 of the Cummins pigtails (Cummins part number 3164263). Just follow the wiring diagram in the pacbrake instructions and you'll be good to go. The 06-07 ecm has all the parameters needed to run the brake, you just have to plug it into the ecm.

Next step is getting your transmission tuned for towing:

Https://www.mm3tuning.com

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I have EFI with turbo brake on my 07 GMC Duramax. With the combo of the Alison tow haul and the turbo brake going down hill I need to keep pedal to it or it'll keep slowing down. Demonstrated to my wife yesterday on steep incline of 1/4-3/8 mi. Started at the top doing 45 by the bottom we were down to 20. This was empty

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004.5 Ram, second owner, and I lucked out, as it came with a PacBrake. We love it, wouldn't really care to tow without one!

camilllit
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2006 3500 auto 4x4 with 93,000 miles. I bought a new fifth wheel RV weighing anywhere from 14,000 to 16,000 lbs.
The truck pulled it fine, but stopping was scary! I had a new PACBRAKE installed because an added benefit was having an air chuck on board with 130psi of air pressure. Pacbrake also gives you air hose, chucks, etc. to help you with a flat tire. Because of the increased compression I also had the head studded. The only remaining weak link is the flex-plate, and when things allow I am replacing it with a BILLET flex-plate. In summation I should have done this many years ago. I can't believe how the truck with or without the RV stops now, its incredible!
I know this does not answer your question, just know that this PACBRAKE is fantastic. Its worth your money!!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They pop up time to time used on Craigslist. Just never at the right time....at least for me when I added one to the 07.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
PacBrake needs air pressure to activate. If you already have on-board air for bags, you could possibly save some money on a compressor and holding tank.

Don't buy an early Banks unit used for the 48RE transmission unless you do a lot of research. They had two versions based on transmission electronics and a throttle position sensor. Their on-line information didn't delineate at all.

My Pacbrake was around $2k installed and worth every penny. PacBrake does run promotions which I took advantage of, $250 as I recall.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I bought it for my 03, the Cummins dealers were SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than a Dodge dealer. I don't remember what I spent on it, but was worth it for towing heavier loads.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look on the TDR classifieds.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
For a while there was.
Pac Brake made an updated and slightly stronger version of theirs. People justhad to have the better one and would sell the old one with the install kit from the new one.
I got one of those about 10 years ago for about $400.

Banks, Pac, BD and others make kits for around $1400~$1500 and aren't too bad to install if your a little bit handy. The scariest part is adding a pin to the ECM connector. Not hard, but you can't make mistakes.

I would avoid the Jake brand brake.

What ever you get, you're going to like it!