cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vancouver Island....Victoria

Joe-n-Doe
Explorer
Explorer
It has been awhile since I've visited RV.NET, anyway, this summer (July) we intend on taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. We will be traveling with our 6 and 9 year old grandchildren (both seasoned RV travelers). I have absolutely no clue what to do or see on the Island or in Victoria. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

Joe-n-Doe
Explorer
Explorer
Orion wrote:
I just did a calculation on the cost of the ferry, based on a total of 60' and got $334 US. Probably be similar to get off the Island too. I was going to suggest you just take the car, but realise you are going to Vancouver afterwards. You will see much of Victoria in two days, just not much of the Island.

Have been researching further and have decided that because we do not have the time to really visit the Island the right way that we will probably do the following:

1. Board the dog in Port Angeles
2. Book a package ferry/hotel deal thru the ferry (kids go and stay for free).
3. Spend 2 maybe 3 nights in Victoria
4. Return to PA and resume our trip

Might not even take the car with us and get around on double decker or other buses.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a calculation on the cost of the ferry, based on a total of 60' and got $334 US. Probably be similar to get off the Island too. I was going to suggest you just take the car, but realise you are going to Vancouver afterwards. You will see much of Victoria in two days, just not much of the Island.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Joe-n-Doe
Explorer
Explorer
Orion and ppine, I appreciate the size and magnitude of Vancouver Island and realize a few days there will not do it justice,but I have to work with the time I have available.

We can squeeze an extra day or two into our stay, but not much more. This is the turn around point for this trip and we have a couple of must visit family stops to make on the return trip to Florida. We also need to get the kids back to Florida so they won't be late for school. (They start school during the 2nd week of August here..don't ask me why.) Plus, I have 2 other pre-planned trips to make back to back in August.

Seaeagle2 We are locked into PA for getting to Victoria, but might be able to adjust a re-entry port. We are also traveling with our loyal dog Bella. She eliminates the option of taking the Coho and making it a day trip. We are traveling in a Class A, towing a Honda Fit, so mobility shouldn't be an issue once we get there.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
2 days is not near enough time to visit Vancouver Island. We live in BC and we are going back again this summer for our at least 10th trip ( lost count) to the island, Vancouver island
Things to do on Van Island
There are site seeing tours out of the north end of the island where you can hope to view bears, there is whale watching tours all over the Island, as well as, Long Beach at Pacific Rim National Park on the west coast of Vancouver Island.... and on and on...
As well the cost to travel back and forth to Vancouver island is not cheap and after spending all the money on Ferries no matter which ferry you take, two days just is not enough time in my mind. Vancouver Island is bigger than some USA States.
We have for this trip planed 15 days on Vancouver island before we catch the new ferry ( The Sea Wolf) from Port Hardy to Bella Coola.
Like someone has said, two days you wonโ€™t even see all of Victoria.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
The Royal British Columbia Museum and The Vancouver Public Aquarium for me. Always well worth the time and money.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what you have for transportation, but if you're staying in the PA area, and you only have one or two days, your best bet might be to just walk on the Coho, it drops you off right in downtown Victoria, and by the time you do the Provincial Museum, take one of the little inner harbour ferries to Barbs fish and chips, and take a ride on the horse drawn trolley, and walk around the inner harbour some, you've done most of a day. Downtown Victoria is pretty compact and you could walk most of it..... Lots of people take the Clipper from Seattle or Coho from PA for the day.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Island makes a great trip by itself. Two days is not worth going there. Orion is right.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
Two days? With that amount of time, you won't even see all of Victoria's sights, let alone the Island, which is bigger than some US states.
You'll probably be only be able to see some of the city, with maybe s short trip to see some of the outlying sights.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Just my 2 cents worth, the ferry from PA to Victoria goes across the straights and is usually a little bumpy and just a straight line ferry trip. The route from Tsawwassen to Sydney (Swartz Bay) takes you through Active Pass, which if you've never done it, is quite a trip.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Joe-n-Doe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you everyone for your input and suggestions! We travel with them internationally and are aware of the documentation required to cross borders.

In respect to time, right now kind of open at least 2-days maybe more, depending on must see, must do recommendations.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to visit the Island frequently. I like the 40 mph catamaran ferry from Seattle with jet engines, the Victoria Clipper.

My Dad had a large power boat that we took to the Gulf Islands just off VI. Canadians in BC are very civilized and easy to get along with. If I was younger, I already would have moved up there.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent 3 weeks on VI last year. Lots of things already listed but I think Goats on the roof might have been missed. Apparently one novelty shop has turned into a whole touristy village. Kids will love it.

With the time we had every major road was covered, along with plenty of non planned minor roads. A few not paved. A very pretty island that is much bigger than some think.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
No need to invest in an enhanced DL if you already have a valid passport.

True, but by 2020 to fly domestically you will be required to have one unless you have other valid ID that proves you are a US citizen. There's nothing to "invest"-next time you renew your dl just bring the required extra paperwork and be done with it.

To the OP:

Butterfly Gardens are a MUST. The castle is interesting as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
An Enhanced drivers lic or Enhanced ID are fine rather than a passport.

No need to invest in an enhanced DL if you already have a valid passport.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!