cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step motor replacement issues

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my step motor several months ago. Learned a lot including that there is a cover screw head that wont allow the unit to line up right due to clearance issue. Had to remove a plastic plug from the old unit and install in the new unit for alignment purposes. This is on the thin metal cover plate under the drive gear. Ok. Yesterday, I replaced the drive motor on a friends MH. These units are held on with 3 bolts. Well, one of the bolt holes still had metal in it that would not allow the bolt to pass. Had to drill it out. After about 2 hours of fighting, all I got in was two of the three bolts. The third hole is about 1/8" out of alignment. Looks to me like a cheap part that is not made to spec. Just putting this out there so others may be aware of issues in replacing these motors.....
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
3 REPLIES 3

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling the Alaskan highway the year before last, my quikee step motor transmission quit. I went to three rv stores and finally found a replacement motor. The bad news was, it cost me 350 Canadian (something like $270 American). I kept the old motor and I finally got around to working on it. I went to local auto parts store and bought the three white plugs that were worn out (about $8). I had a little trouble getting them in place, so I took the metal center piece out, put it in the freezer for a while, then put everything in place. The motor works now, so I guess I have a spare.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that is correct, about $40 on line.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
In the old days Ford power window motors were exact replacement for these motors and a lot cheaper. Could that be true?