cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a chevy 1500 express on a tow dolly?

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a chevy 1500 express conversion 7100 LB van on a tow dolly?

w/ it's original tires the Express’s wheelbase width is like just under 79” so a conventional Uhaull tow dolly is to small.

?1.could I replace both front tires w/small dounut spare wheels to reduce width enough to fit on a conventional Uhaull tow dolly.

?2.do these conventional Uhaull tow dolly have a weight limit also?

Thanks for any tips TB
6 REPLIES 6

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
It is not just the width of the tires on the van, but also how much clearance inside of the tow dolly fenders to the bumper and fenders of the vehicle on the tow dolly. If you get a dolly wide enough to accommodate the van during any turns, you would still have to deal with the drive axle wheels on the ground while towing. You would probably have to deal with a drive shaft disconnect or drive shaft removal.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know, but probably not. Dollies are really intended for front wheel drive cars that typically weigh less than 4000 lbs or so. Are you towing the van a long distance, and what are you towing it with? Just my opinion, but the only way to do it right is with a 10K GVWR flatbed trailer. Unless you are going a short distance I don't think a dolly will work very well.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

thebrain
Explorer
Explorer
are their tow dolly's besides Uhaul that the van can be towed w/?

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
A quick check of Uhauls website says that the max vehicle weight to go on their tow dolly is 3900 pounds. The front of the van alone will weigh close to that, grossly overloading the dolly.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dolly plus van will weigh how much?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The Express is a rear wheel vehicle. You will need to disconnect the drive shaft before towing on a dolly with the front wheels on the dolly.