cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 tire brand/model recs

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to get 4 new all season tires for my 2012 F250, 8', extended cab, 2WD when the snow goes away. I have studded snow tires for the winter, which I love. Anyway, I have 245/75R 17E, and would be interested in any recommendations and experiences with the various brands. I have been getting Cooper's for awhile, for no particular reason outside of my dealer having them. I am not concerned about saving a buck on getting a less expensive brand, but on getting the best overall tire for a 3000 lb. camper carrying truck. Thanks for any help.
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Frank, I think you'll find you can't get new 17" tires in any higher than a 121 load index, save for maybe 37s or bigger. Been this way for a few years now. It's like the tire industry discontinued an entire class of tires for one of the most popular rim sizes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frank- if you are looking for a higher capacity weight carrying 17" tire, consider the Nitto brand. It might require stepping up to a 285/17 with a Load index of 126 for E rating pressure (make sure your rim will accept this width.) Also make sure your rims can handle that weight rating.

I did this for my Dodge to fit my application. There are not many option for the 17" rim size, but with diligent research, a good tire-to-rim-rating-to LI is possible depending on how heavy a load you are carrying.

I researched the sheet out of the options for my truck/camper combo and was able to run the numbers to make it work for me.

-frank.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Frank, stop for a second.
First, I agreed with you regarding skinny tires having better traction in snow, apples to apples of course.
Second, you have the same popular misconception regarding vehicle load carrying capacity as many. De-rated door sticker ratings yes. Actual real world load carrying capacity? NO

Think about it this way. How much weight does a 4wd front axle (or heavier engine) put on the rear wheels? How much weight does a TC put on the front wheels?
Now compare the rest of the components of a 3/4T and a 1T and report back to the class please.

Btw, no fiber needed. This response is being typed while executing my very regular morning constitutional....

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
Uh ohh, somebody needs a hug!! Oh contraire, couch prophet! Width means a lot on dry or wet pavement, but on snow, oh no, I can't get up the hill! Yeah, the 350 is for the 4wd, since the weight of the drivetrain reduces the load capacity for tc's. I was asking about peoples experience with brands, and not asking for a snarky lecture when the bran obviously did not work today! Oh, and by the way, I use Uncle Ben's rice! Ha

I've been happy with my Les Schwab TOYOs and my brother is happy with his Costco Michelins. We both got the load range E with the just over 3400 pound rating.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yo mic drop....
Wheel size has zilch to do with traction. Width of the TIRES have alot to do with traction, so by way of relationship of wheel width to tire width, if tires fit properly then a narrower rim will have a narrower tire, in general, thus getting theoretically better traction, given all apples to apples.

You're getting a 350 "for the 4wd" (option?)?
And I never said you were dangerously overloading your tires, only that you could get a set of much heavier rated tires for cheap if you bought the wheels with them. Espeically since you're weighing everything including the Minute Rice and 1/2 tank of water, lol.

And FYI, you couldn't even buy a stock truck with 17s until the early 2000s and somehow, a few years ago the mfgs quit making 17" truck tires with a greater rating than 3195lbs.

I'm not typing this to inform you of it, as you already seem to know all you need to know. This is for the next guy wondering why he can't get heavy duty tires for 17" rims.

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
Where to begin.........Wheel size in snow does make a difference when you have 2wd. Probably with a 4wd too. You get more penetration to the pavement with a smaller footprint. I found that out with my original 99' F250. Put a wider tire on, thinking that might help in the snow, and had worse traction for the drive wheels than with the original tires. I put 4-5 tube sand bags in my bed in the winter.

The OP, me, is certainly open to hearing what everybody posts. I just don't have to agree with the nay sayers say about 17" wheels. I have driven about 400,000 miles with 17" tires in the last 20 years, and if you drive conservatively, which I do, you will not have a blowout unless you have a crappy tire. Would it be better to have a 12-14 ply for potholes, yup, can't argue there. When I have my next truck in 2 years, I will be getting a 350, for the 4wd, and it will probably have 18" on it. I won't refuse them!

I have an aggressive tread with my winters, with the rears studded. But the aggressive tread is pretty much what the tires were when I bought all 3 of my F250's.

At 80 lbs., my 17" rear tires have never felt mushy or with noticeable sway, and visibly have never seemed overloaded. I check tire temperature about once a day when I have the camper on, and it has seemed fine.

Thanks for all the input about tire sizing and especially about comparing brands. I am NOT dangerously overloading my tires, I am at or just under the load limit when I bring EVERYTHING, clubs, bikes, 1/2 water tank, and as long as I check pressure, replace when the tread wears or sides crack, don't drive like I am on a track, I will stick with the 17", which have all worked well for me.

The mike is dropped!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Correct. OP doesn't want to hear that though.
About the smallest tires you can put on 18s or 20s and have that 3500lb ish load rating are 33" - 34" tall. 18s are a tad shorter and narrower in the standard 275-70-18 than the standard 285-60-20 or 275-65-20. I'm pretty sure they came from the factory with at least 18s in the upper trim levels 2wd.

bhoat
Explorer
Explorer
I am also a fan of the Michelin M/S as my 16" wheels on my 03 F-250, I do jump a couple sizes for a wider foot print. My Ford dealer price matches, and I love the price of road hazard with the phone number I call is the same as Ford's road side assistance. And a Mileage warranty.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think 20s are bigger diameter than 18s unless you want them to be. I also donโ€™t think either size with studs will be much different than 17s. If you are trying to save money and keep the 17s, they could still be overloaded.

For brands, I worry more about capacity needed and tread pattern than brand. Iโ€™ve had good luck with every brand.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Frank Mehaffey wrote:
One concern I have is over just doing 18" on the rear axel, and 17" on the front. I would have to go to all 4 corners being 18", and I would lose some of the traction in the winter with the larger wheels and tires. At that point, the $ is also starting to get a little too pricey. I have had 17's forever, and am not doing any off road camping, and have had no problems. We are at 10K fully loaded, and I am comfortable with the 10 ply rating and load rating. I was wondering if there were any experiences with Cooper vs. Michelin vs. Goodyear.

Iโ€™ll presume youโ€™re actually swapping tires winter to summer, 1set of rims?
You can save yourself the $200 a year doing that by having a second complete set.
Not sure why you think wheel size has anything to do with traction, because it doesnโ€™t.
Bigger wheels on back than front, correct, silly idea. Plus they wouldnโ€™t match astheticly.
Too pricey? Maybe you mis understood. You can buy a whole set of basically new wheels and all season tires for less than a set of tires alone, AND have greater load capacity.
But to answer your question since you only asked about tire brands, they will all hold up your camper.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I have had really good luck with Nitto tires. Their offerings really a great range of tires for every surface. I have the Terra Grappler on my pickup and the Ridge Grappler on my SUV.

My next tires will either be the Exo Grappler (commercial traction tread, tons of siping) or the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure. Both are rated for extreme snow (mountain snowflake) and have good siping and relatively low void ratio for low noise and good road manners.

If you think these are too aggressive, there are a ton of true "all-season" (in the industry sense of the word) designs out there that probably will have shorter stopping distances on dry and perhaps slightly wet roads, but they'd be a tradeoff in any kind of rough weather.

I also strongly recommend that you consider upgrading to an 18" tire if you're going to continue to overload your F-250. The tires available for 18" wheels will have the same ply rating but they will have a higher weight capacity, even in a similar size and width from your current tires. My Terra Grappler (old style) on my Ram are 17s and added 500ish pounds to the tire capacity, though, so you may be able to get some gain just by changing tires. The Nitto Dura Grappler (their all-season) has 3900 pounds of weight capacity in some sizes, which is a pretty significant bump. I wouldn't pick tires based on weight capacity alone, but if you can get the weight capacity increase without compromising on the tread you want, then that's a no-brainer.

I am trailering now and sold my truck camper, so I worry about this less these days, but the truck camper definitely was hard on tires.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had 3 sets of Michelin LTX M&S (now renamed to Defender LTX M/S) on an F-150 and an Expedition. I find them to be great tires (especially ride comfort and snow traction) with one major weakness. On both vehicles I immediately noticed much more wandering around from straight ahead to the point that I felt less safe. This was true both with the new tires as well as tires with some miles on them. They require more steering into the wind and the road crown to stay driving straight ahead. My vehicles are aligned so that's not the issue. The Michelins replaced Wranglers on the F-150 and OEM Continentals on the Expedition, and the difference was noticeable immediately. I have not considered these tires for my F-350 for this reason. It may not bother most folks, but it is enough for me to considered other brands first.

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
These are the best tires we've had so far. BFG Commercial T/A All Season 2. CLICKY

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne