cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Avalanche or Best quality 5th wheel

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into purchasing our first 5th wheel. We like the Keystone Avalanche 321RS. Anyone own a Keystone product and are you happy with it? Who makes the best quality 5th wheel? In the $50 to 60K range. Thanks for your advice.
16 REPLIES 16

Trixie47
Explorer
Explorer
By now you have probably made your choice...I would just like to say we bought our Keystone Avalanch back in 2012. Have taken it to Alaska and Nova Scotia and around several states from Florida and have not had any problems except for tires with it.....they are well built as far as I am concerned....each to his own !!
2008 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab DW
2012 Keystone Avalanche...4 Slides

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having owned a Cedar Creek, a Jayco Designer, and currently a Grand Design Solitude, Iโ€™d echo those recommending a lightly used, one or two year-old higher end rig over a new mid quality fiver. Definitely more bang for your buck, and also something less likely to fall apart after a few top years of use. While itโ€™s sometimes difficult to tell the difference in build quality, you have the benefit of being able to drop over to the Elkhart, Indiana area for a few factory tours seeing as youโ€™re from central Illinois. IMHO, the Grand Design Solitude tour is a good one to do first as a benchmark. Good luck and happy hunting!
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I missed it if you stated what your tow truck will be, but I would also add Cedar Creek to the list.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
X100 on looking at a used higher quality 5th. Start with a DRV, or GD Solitude, or maybe Montana Legacy, or...
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
4bearhug wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
6 ply tires are not heavy duty. They are load range C and cheap. Look at 10 ply tires, load range E. We run 14 ply on our trailer.

If you are going to spend $50 K or so on a trailer, please u=look at 3 to 5 year old higher end units.

Ken

X2

They are load range G heavy duty trailer tires.

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
6 ply tires are not heavy duty. They are load range C and cheap. Look at 10 ply tires, load range E. We run 14 ply on our trailer.

If you are going to spend $50 K or so on a trailer, please u=look at 3 to 5 year old higher end units.

Ken

X2

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
We bought an Avalanche last April. Right off the bat we had problems with the hydraulic system, which was repaired under warranty. We headed south with it on Dec. 11th, and have been living in it ever since. While not quite the quality of the Montana High Country we had previously, it is very livable. As far as travel, we are over 1800 miles from home and have had almost no problems. The closet rod in the bedroom fell down -- it was only attached through thin veneer. Of course, we had clothes hanging to last us a variety of seasons as we are away from home for five months. We really love the hydraulic leveling system because it makes setup a breeze. (Took a little while to figure it out though!) The living room TV is larger than any of the TVs at our homel and is very clear. We have a king-sized bed at home and are happy to have one in our RV as well. We usually swap out our mattress, but this one is surprisingly comfortable! We also love not having carpet in most of the living room, but wish there was even less carpet! With pets, it's hard to keep floors clean.
Cardinal 33TSLE

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Grand Design too. We went to many years of RV shows, looking and comparing different 5'er and motor homes. When we saw our first GD, we were shocked to see all the things we didn't like in the other RV's fixed in the Grand Design's.
A pocket door going into the bathroom solved the problem of going to the bathroom from the bedroom without needing to go down 2 steps to get into the door of the bathroom.
The finished product looks much better then all we looked at.
Also; GD is going above and beyond ( if ) there there is something wrong.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just pulled the trigger on a Grand Design. While we loved much of the Oregon brands construction they weren't quite right. GD seems a step up from the rest.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Northwood products. Arctic Fox and Nash have continually been rated well--http://northwoodmfg.com/5th-wheels/arctic-fox-5th-wheels/
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing wrong with the Avalanche ,it is a nice Mid-level 5er by Keystone I have owned 3 Keystone Montana's with very little issues just buy from a good Dealer and do a good LONG P.D.I and Enjoy there will always be things that come up with these rolling houses that break and hopefully like me you can just take care of them yourself if you are a little handy
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Keystone is not very high on the list for quality, nor is Forest River or Thor. Rather than new entry level RVs, look at used higher end RVs. You will be much better off.

You need to look past the glitz and bling and look at the construction or bones of the RV. Look for cabinets of REAL wood, not plastic covered particle board. Wood that is screwed together and not just stapled. Better tires and heavier frames and brakes. Do not look at anything advertised as "Lite" or Ultra Lite".

Ken

Thanks, we have just begun to look so I will keep those things in mind when looking. The Keystone Avalanche that we are looking at does have real wood cabinets andl heavy duty load range G trailer tires. Plus it has a one piece shower surround which Iโ€™ve read is good. Itโ€™s not a cheap looking unit at least what Iโ€™ve seen so far. I will have to check the construction better the next time we go looking. I guess my biggest concern would be slide reliability, I donโ€™t want any leaks. Most other issues I can repair myself. We have a 2015 Tiffin Allegro that we purchased new and although itโ€™s a good quality RV itโ€™s not trouble free. I have repaired โ€œseveral โ€œ things on it myself. I think thatโ€™s just the price you pay for owning an RV. When itโ€™s bouncing down the road something is bound to go wrong. Your house isnโ€™t trouble free so why would your RV be? Along as we donโ€™t have major structural issues and no leaks I can deal with other issues.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone is not very high on the list for quality, nor is Forest River or Thor. Rather than new entry level RVs, look at used higher end RVs. You will be much better off.

You need to look past the glitz and bling and look at the construction or bones of the RV. Look for cabinets of REAL wood, not plastic covered particle board. Wood that is screwed together and not just stapled. Better tires and heavier frames and brakes. Do not look at anything advertised as "Lite" or Ultra Lite".

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot