cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical upgrades: Adding an AC Outlet

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
When I'm connected to shorepower I use a space heater more often than not, so I don't have to use propane or listen to the deafening noise of the propane furnace. If it's really cold out though, I will run the propane heat so I keep the tanks from freezing.

I wanted a more convenient place to plug in a space heater instead of under the dinette table, so I added an outlet on a new circuit.

Adding an AC Outlet and new circuit
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
4 REPLIES 4

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Good job. A suggestion for other. The lumber he add is important to reinforce that thin paneling. It would flex and break over time.

I would use a "new work" shallow box, like a Carlon B108B attached to one of those reinforcement piece before it is glued in. Those shallow boxes require short lead so it can be a bit tricky especially if you are in the middle of a daisy chain.

The box you show is a dead end, you can't add more wires. :h

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Good job. A suggestion for other. The lumber he add is important to reinforce that thin paneling. It would flex and break over time.

I would use a "new work" shallow box, like a Carlon B108B attached to one of those reinforcement piece before it is glued in. Those shallow boxes require short lead so it can be a bit tricky especially if you are in the middle of a daisy chain.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. Good place to locate. Made installation easier and plug very accessible. Good video.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did that. In my case, my breaker panel and feed is under the bed so added a recep on the pedestal near the bathroom/ hallway for wifey to use for hair dryer when on 30A.
Also used for electric tea kettle or heater.

I used a 12 ga ext cord and wired directly to the recep.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.