cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mt. Hood

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling the west coast from California to Canada in May and June. Our plan is the leave the coast north of Beverly Beach Oregon to travel the Columbia River to Deschutes River SRA and then back to the Coast at Nehalem Bay State Park.

We have a 36' Tiffin gas powered, no toad. How is the road around Mt. Hood? Will we have any trouble taking Hwy 26 to Mt. Hood Village, then E. Lolo Pass Road north to the Lost Lake Resort campground? Once we leave there we wish to go to Hood River and on to Deschutes River SRA where we have reservations.

We will be staying at Ainsworth State Park on our way back to the coast.

Anyone stayed at these campgrounds and will we have any problems with a 36' rig in this area. I know the Columbia River Hwy is fine just wondering about the roads around Mt. Hood mainly.

Any advice avoiding Portland traffic?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL
7 REPLIES 7

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Ainsworth many times one of our favorite campgrounds in the Columbia Gorge where I grew up. It used to be a no reservation campground but now takes reservations and does have some pull through big rig full service sites. The entrance is just off the 84 and need to make sure you don't get on the old highway which is not big rig friendly. Very close to Multnomah falls which has parking for RVs but is a left lane turn then a tunnel to walk to the visitor center. If you want to cross over the river to visit Beacon Rock don't use the Hood River bridge use the Bridge of the Gods. Never solved the Portland Traffic problem just put up with it no easy way from east to west. Lots to see and do in the gorge.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
following
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked over the roads and decided the entrance to Lost Lake from Parkdale will be much better. Thanks for the advice.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i agree with rwguidinger. the last time i was on east lolo pass about three years ago their was a lot of gravel road. 35 thru parkdale is very scenic and a lot better road

RWGuidinger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

East Lolo pass was gravel road the last time we traveled that way. May be quite rough on a motor home. You might want to approach Lost lake from Highway 35 thru Parkdale and on to Dee. That is a paved route that most everyone uses for RV travel there.

Bob

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
The roads are up and down a lot. 5000 ft of elevation gain.

I would suggest renting a car if you want to enjoy the drive. Maybe motel in Hood River.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
US 26 is a very good highway.
I would not take the MH to Timberline Lodge. You can do it, but take it easy on your rig. Fairly steep with many turns. Lots are decent size to turn around and park in. Depending on weather of course!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker