cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

drain pipe to protect awning

rangerjean
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen photos of folks using plastic drain pipe to cover and protect awnings during storage periods. This looks like a good idea for under $50.00.
Has anyone done this? If it is bungied or tied tightly could it also be used during travel and to protect against low branches at back in time?
15 REPLIES 15

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I use two half round "D" profile gutter sections. I place the upper edge into the gutter. The two sections overlap in the center. I cut two, 1" wide slices off of 4" pvc and took about 1/3 of the round section away so they slip over the gutter and awning roll and act like clips to hold it on. Make sure you trim and smooth all sharp edges on the pieces so you don't cut the fabric. I only use it for winter storage, not travel, but it might actually hold on. It's pretty secure.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great tip about using a heat gun to put a little crimp in -- thanks, Double Haul!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
Not my camper, but similar photos found online.

Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Yep also used eternabond on mine but that was because mine was in bad shape where the roll is exposed when stored. That was 4 yrs ago at least and its still well adhered and has allowed me to get several more years out of the awning.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have photos to share of what this looks like?
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
Did the 4" Eternabond thing. Quick easy and has held up well. Also that was my most deteriorated part of the awning, so it helped stabilizing things and sealing up some thread bear areas.

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
PVC half round gutter. My mobile repair guy made some for me. Trick is to use a heat gun to heat and put a slight crimp at 2 to 3 places so it "clips" onto the awning.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
I use this like others above have said. Make sure you get the K channel as it will "lock" into the rain gutter.

K Style gutter
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
The eternabond is on my list of to-doโ€™s when it warms up a bit.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes -- PVC gutter. When I get home, I put it on top of the awning, secured by thin cords. I don't leave it on when traveling -- too likely to blow off at highway speeds.

Just be sure to remove it before you leave home. Removal is now on my long "must do these things before we leave" list. Don't ask me how it got on that list.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcanmars wrote:
I use two pices of plasic gutter from HD

Living in AZ I have considered this. Do you ahve any pictures?
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Vulcanmars
Explorer
Explorer
I use two pices of plasic gutter from HD
Mars
04 V10 F250 SDCC 4X4
2016 Wildwood 32BHDS

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
where was this post before a bird pecked a hole in mine?

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I considered that idea too. I ended up adding two 4" wide strips of Eternabond to mine. It's stayed stuck and protected the awning for the last 6 years now.

I think I like it better this way too. Nothing to remember or forget. It's just protected.

That's a good idea
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian