Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just got a new pathfinder x2 satellite

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a pathfinder x2 satellite
What tripod do you use. I was looking at the Tripod Mount TR-1518. It looks a little expensive for what it is and not even a bubble level. Are there any alternatives, has anybody put a bubble level on there's. I was kinda thinking of putting it on a small table that I carry in the camper. What does the rest here do. I posted this in tech, if this is the wrong forum please delete
Thanks in advance.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch
18 REPLIES 18

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t have anything near that fancy. I took the cart that used to carry my bbq grill. I just screwed a piece of 3/4 plywood to it and painted it black. I don’t even have a level. Sometimes I just put my tailgater on the ground or picnic table and get it kinda level and pointed somewhat south. Works great! One of the best things about it to me is not having to be so perfect in the setup. The dish does all that.

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your replies. It looks like that is the one to buy. I'm off to the internet to find the cheapest one, wish me luck
Equal-i-zer Hitch

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
parcany wrote:
bob2194 wrote:
yea that's the one that i am talking about, how do you like it. Is it worth the money? TIA
I don't have a problem with it. After the first time the pins are put in then it goes together great. The push pins are no problem either. When they both are put together and set up it is a nice. Off of the ground especially if it rains hard, it is off the ground. We like it.

Some of us old arthritic folks find it very hard to push those pins in.

You will see someday.
Did not mean anything by what I said. I will be 71 in 2 months and I don't have a problem with the push pins.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
parcany wrote:
bob2194 wrote:
yea that's the one that i am talking about, how do you like it. Is it worth the money? TIA
I don't have a problem with it. After the first time the pins are put in then it goes together great. The push pins are no problem either. When they both are put together and set up it is a nice. Off of the ground especially if it rains hard, it is off the ground. We like it.

Some of us old arthritic folks find it very hard to push those pins in.

You will see someday.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
bob2194 wrote:

Heiny57
Explorer
Explorer
Yep pricey and all issues mentioned occur but it works and is very sturdy and stable making it worth the money.

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
I also use that tripod. Many times I have to set up the dish on unlevel ground, so I bought a small cheap bubble level at Walmart. After eyeballing the levelness (is that a word?) of the tripod with the X2 on it, I set the cheap level on the face of the dish when it is in the stow configuration to see how accurate I was, then adjust the legs accordingly.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply, Now just find where to find the tripod at the best price. Thanks
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob2194 wrote:
Big Katuna
would you buy it again. I'm trying to decide. Thanks

Yes. Like I said, it’s the only game in town. I used a cheap folding table when I first got it but you couldn’t level it and it wasn’t very stable.

The tripod is stable and can be leveled.

There are two buttons to push to adjust the legs, both hard to push.
I took a screwdriver and flipped one side up at a twist so now I only have to push one button. I take mine apart every time.

I also rounded off the point of the pins to make them go through the holes easier.

I was tempted to drill the holes out a little but it would rust sooner and I was afraid it would be wobbly.

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna
would you buy it again. I'm trying to decide. Thanks
Equal-i-zer Hitch

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I was reading about it too hard to get the pins in in out was my concern as well thanks for letting me know of its shortcomings. Now I have to make a decision. Thank you.
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use that tripod. Far as I know it’s the only game in town. Stupid design, really. Doesn’t fold, hard to get the pins in, the buttons you push to extend the legs are hard to push.

And overpriced.

Apparently there are no good mechanical engineers anymore.

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info, I think i'll be buying the tripod thanks again!
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the forum rules - posting the same topic in multiple forums is prohibited.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015