cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing RV in Phoenix Arizona during the winter ???

dotcommer
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Scottsdale Arizona, and we are storing our class a Thor challenger 37tb at my in-laws back yard who lives in Phoenix since they have RV fates and room. We like taking our RV out about once a month during the winter time on some short trips, so Winterizing the RV, By draining all the lines, putting Freon in, etc. is out of the question. Since Phoenix temperatures are nice during the winter, but there are some nights it can get below 32 degrees should we be concerned about our water lines freezing? Are there certain things we should do to the RV for those cold nights below freezing temps?
5 REPLIES 5

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
We live in Phoenix and our RV is stored at home. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I winterize our TT every year for two or three months. It takes very little time to blow out the water lines and drain the water heater, so I do it. I'm just unwilling to risk not winterizing.

To each his own...

We get colder here in Vegas every winter compared to Phoenix and I have never had to winterize any RV ever in all the years I have lived here, it takes way below 30 degrees before pipes freeze and burst.

However 1 time about 25 years ago it did get down to 10 degrees here in Vegas and pipes were burst all over this town in homes cause construction does not insulate water pipes and water lines going to homes are sometimes inches below the ground, however I did not own a RV at that time..

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Depend on what type of freeze they are reporting. We use the terms "Freeze" and "Hard Freeze. A Freeze just means the temps may drop between 30 and 32 for a couple minutes of a few hours. Usually it's not enough of a drop or long enough in duration to freeze water lines with some minimal protection. Hard Freeze means it's below 30 degrees or the freeze will last at least 3 hours. Since most freezes are short (normally on a couple hours below freezing) the average RV's water lines have just enough protection to keep them from freezing.

If you still have a concern, just tape a piece of insulation over any exposed water lines. (that's why you often see some piece of old clothing dangling under an RV) Now, this goes for the metro areas of Phoenix, Tucson or Yuma. Outside the metro areas is another thing as the heat island effect isn't present. Otherwise, thousands of RV's survive freezing temps without any issues even with water in their tank and lines in this area.

by the way, Freon is for air conditioners, antifreeze is for water.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Phoenix and our RV is stored at home. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I winterize our TT every year for two or three months. It takes very little time to blow out the water lines and drain the water heater, so I do it. I'm just unwilling to risk not winterizing.

To each his own...

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
How cold does it have to get to freeze a camper? I need to take mine out this week and the lowest in the forecast is 24 degrees. Think I'll be safe?

I'm not sure it ever gets cold enough in Phoenix to require winterizing.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be fine. Ours has been stored in El Mirage, AZ (a little to the west of Phoenix) for the last three winters and we're about to pick it up next week for a month. Besides good flights in and out of Phoenix, the reason we store it there is because we never have to winterize it.

The only slight problem is water seems to evaporate out of the batteries rather quickly due to the heat even though it's in covered storage.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.