cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nova Scotia or Prince Edward Island

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I'm planning one of our summer trips and I have a question. First off we will be leaving this coming mid June. We have 4 weeks set aside for this run. We will be leaving from our home near Providence RI in our 22 ft class C no tow, and that puts us at the Calais border crossing in 3 days. Then 7 or 8 days from shoving off puts us in Sackville NB. We want to spend a couple of days checking out the St Martin sea caves and the Hopewell Rocks if the tide is right. Anyway At Sackville should I head to Nova Scotia or PEI? Now the reason we want to go to NS is to check out Oak Island. Maybe do a tour, and loop the coast. But looking at the map it looks like a lot of interstate type of driving. We prefer secondary roads the majority of the time. PEI looks like it is more scenic and we would get more out of the 10 days or so we have to spend there. Oh..We like to keep our driving to 125 to 150 miles per day when touring. Less if there are things to do and see. We have no illusions about seeing "it all" we can always come back. I want to make my decision so I can make reservations. Mid June into July is the busy time of the year.. So any advise is appreciated.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
8 REPLIES 8

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Don't want to high jack but cool beans that the ferry is back!

Since you aren't clear of it's port location. It will no longer be travelling to Yarmouth NS from Portland ME. They are planning on sailing from Yarmouth NS to/from Bar Harbor ME.

They still have a few hurtles to jump but plans are being made.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:

Yes this is a good thing, access the more quiet part of the province from your area with almost no driving...
You will sail right by this spot on the way in to Yarmouth.

Cape Forchu

Be sure to visit this attraction, so much better than the Peggys Cove area near the city of Halifax, with thousands of cruise ship passengers crawling all over the rocks.

You can then go down the Fundy Shore or the South Shore of NS, Fundy is more busy....and hotter in summer in the Annapolis Valley, we prefer the cool SW facing bays and inlets of the South Shore in summer around here.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
IMO big IMO, best place to visit is the reconstructed Fortress of Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island, NS. Plan a day. There are eateries and restaurants. (the 1st from labourers tradition and the 2nd from the upper crust ways of the 18th century) Guides are in costume of the place they serve.

:B

https://www.cbisland.com/louisbourg/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuo_Sx67I4AIVy1YNCh0N0wtdEAAYASAAEgI7DPD_BwE
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great ideas!! I think that I will go to Oak Island first. Then work my way to Caribou and ferry to PEI. I'll take the bridge heading south/west. Thanks for reminding me about getting some folding paper maps. I already have Nova Scotia, but I will order New Brunswick and PEI today.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

alid
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on doing both! What we did was to go to Nova Scotia first then take the "free" ferry from Caribou to PEI.
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Remember when crossing to and from PEI, you pay when you leave.

There is a ferry and there is the Confederation Bridge. The ferry costs more.

Be sure to get your provincial guides and maps from each province and state. Go to www.google.ca, use search term name of province or state and tourism.

Each has its own map, which gives you information you won't get on the commercial maps.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Cat Boat

You can take your trip in reverse, with Oak Island being your first stop.

All the 100 series highways in Nova Scotia are twinned by the old number roads that were there first, so you have a choice of travel.
Scenic are the older roads.

eg. Yarmouth to Oak Island can be done on the 103 or the 3.

There is almost no traffic on the single digit roads, except in a few small towns...

We have driven with our camper on week days in the summer over 50 miles and never passed by a car on some of the non 100 series paved roads.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.