cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel shutoff switch for Honda eu

tealboy
Explorer
Explorer
I did not have my reading glasses on when I originally posted my question related to this topic so my apologies. But I’m trying to determine yes, what is the advantage over this aftermarket switch that can be added to the Honda EU 2000 that allows you to shut the fuel off while the engine continues to run so we can burn all the fuel out of the carburetor versus simply unscrewing the screw at the bottom of the float bowl and letting the fuel run out. I always drain the fuel and suspect the switch is essentially doing the same thing just more conveniently then having to unscrew the drain on the carburetor so it would be a convenience more than anything, right?
11 REPLIES 11

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I disconnected the spark plug ground from the ON/OFF switch. Now, when I turn off my Honda, it shuts off the gas, but runs till the carb runs out of gas. I guess I should check and see if any more would come out of the carburetor.

Does turning it off then draining the carb of gas also get the gas out of the small channels in the carb? Does letting the generator run till it runs out of gas pull the gas out of those small channels?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
CapnCampn wrote:
Spray paint lids work great. Then you just dump it back into the tank.

Ding, ding, we have a winner! :C

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spray paint lids work great. Then you just dump it back into the tank.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
And yes, I'm sure everyone drains into a nice little container lol.
Styrofoam cups don't work so well, and I seem to remember plastic drinking cups will dissolve also.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
camperdave wrote:
I suppose it depends on where you are and what the generator is sitting on, but I prefer to turn off a petcock and let the genny run till it dies over dumping gas onto the ground. The two places my generator usually runs is on my asphalt driveway, or in the back of my van. Neither of which I want to dump gas on.

Did you ever read the manual for a Honda eu2000i generator? You put a small container under the provided hose and drain that very small amount of gasoline into it.

I was speaking to why I personally prefer to run-dry rather than drain. And yes, I'm sure everyone drains into a nice little container lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I suppose it depends on where you are and what the generator is sitting on, but I prefer to turn off a petcock and let the genny run till it dies over dumping gas onto the ground. The two places my generator usually runs is on my asphalt driveway, or in the back of my van. Neither of which I want to dump gas on.

Did you ever read the manual for a Honda eu2000i generator? You put a small container under the provided hose and drain that very small amount of gasoline into it.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Is it a foregone conclusion that running the engine dry gets more fuel out of the carb than draining it?

An engine will quit running when the fuel level in the carb bowl drops below the level where it can be picked up. Often there is some fuel left. I haven't checked my Hondas but a good test would to run it out of fuel, then open the drain to see how much might be remaining.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tealboy wrote:
I always drain the fuel and suspect the switch is essentially doing the same thing just more conveniently then {sic} having to unscrew the drain on the carburetor so it would be a convenience more than anything, right?
I find draining the carb with the screw is very convenient.

Is it a foregone conclusion that running the engine dry gets more fuel out of the carb than draining it?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
tealboy wrote:
I always drain the fuel and suspect the switch is essentially doing the same thing just more conveniently then having to unscrew the drain on the carburetor so it would be a convenience more than anything, right?

Right.

Doing it your way is probably even better because there may be a small amount of fuel remaining using the shutoff.

dpglifestyle
Explorer
Explorer
With the factory fuel shutoff/kill switch you can unplug the kill switch portion and it will function as just a fuel shut off but you will not be able to just shut it off without adding a switch. Will work fine if you always want to run out all the fuel. For a couple of bucks you can add a momentary switch to the wire that needs to be unplug from the fuel shutoff
2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually