Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Monitoring

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
are these gadgets worth the money?

in 10 years on the road we've lost 4 tires, they went flat and we didn't know it until it was too late

would a tpms warn us of a flat before the tire disintegrates?

which would be a good choice for a 26 ft tt, transmitter range being a concern?
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
41 REPLIES 41

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a general rule (i.e. I'm sure somebody could find an exception), the TPMS senders that are inside the tire have centrifugal switches of some sort and operate only when the wheel is turning above a certain speed, and do not have replaceable batteries. As already noted, the TST sensors transmit all the time regardless of tire rotation. They shut off when removed from the wheel. The auto industry is transitioning to "indirect" tire pressure sensing using the wheel speed sensors already in place for the ABS system. The advantage for the end user is no battery hassles, and the disadvantage is reduced accuracy. The advantage for the auto industry is that the indirect system is free on a per-car basis because it's all software.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
As the others said our TST 507 sensors report their readings even when standing still. We've been stationary on this site since last Sunday, and today I flipped on the monitor and had the current pressure and temp readings within a few minutes.

Correct
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Before buying a high tech, super deluxe system check the price of battery replacement, up to $50 per sensor!"

FWIW the TST system using common button batteries. My last ones were about 30 cents each.

X2
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
I have owned two Ram trucks with TPMSs. Both stopped working when the Truck stopped moving and would not update again until the truck moved for a few minutes.
It's very possible that those TPMS's worked in conjunction with the ABS sensors, and I don't believe they measure actual tire pressure so much as sense a difference in tire circumference and deduce a difference in tire pressure from that.

At least I've been led to believe that some OEM TPMS's work that way.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As the others said our TST 507 sensors report their readings even when standing still. We've been stationary on this site since last Sunday, and today I flipped on the monitor and had the current pressure and temp readings within a few minutes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned two Ram trucks with TPMSs. Both stopped working when the Truck stopped moving and would not update again until the truck moved for a few minutes.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
"Just try to understand how TPMS work. They go to "sleep" when you park the car and will be waken when wheels start rolling. Some system act faster, some need couple of minutes to start showing. So morning walk around still apply.
Battery replacement is another story as most of them are sealed and require whole sensor replacement. But sensors are getting cheaper and cheaper."

Well, a little misinformation there. Many TPMS don't go to "sleep" when you park. They are active all the time. You can see the air pressure in the tires shortly after the monitor is activated. I turn on the monitor when we start getting ready to tear down and leave. By the time I'm ready to hook up, the tire pressures are being shown. A walk-around is a good idea as it can alert you to issues.

Battery replacement isn't an issue since a lot of them are just weather sealed and batteries are a user-replacement item. You can get TPMS sensors that mount inside the wheel, but honestly who needs the aggravation.

Absolutely as fj12ryder says. My TST will show the pressures even if my 5er has not moved in days. And standard 2032 button batteries can easily be changed in a few minutes.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Just try to understand how TPMS work. They go to "sleep" when you park the car and will be waken when wheels start rolling. Some system act faster, some need couple of minutes to start showing. So morning walk around still apply.
Battery replacement is another story as most of them are sealed and require whole sensor replacement. But sensors are getting cheaper and cheaper."

Well, a little misinformation there. Many TPMS don't go to "sleep" when you park. They are active all the time. You can see the air pressure in the tires shortly after the monitor is activated. I turn on the monitor when we start getting ready to tear down and leave. By the time I'm ready to hook up, the tire pressures are being shown. A walk-around is a good idea as it can alert you to issues.

Battery replacement isn't an issue since a lot of them are just weather sealed and batteries are a user-replacement item. You can get TPMS sensors that mount inside the wheel, but honestly who needs the aggravation.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Over 10 years ago I spend small fortune for TPMS system for my motorhome.
But than motorhome used 22.5 wheels and the Michelins I used retail $550 a piece.
So beside safety, if the system can save single tire from shredding due to low pressure - it will pay for itself.
New cars come with TPMS for a decade and California made checking tire pressure a part of biannual inspection so even government considers that important.
Just try to understand how TPMS work. They go to "sleep" when you park the car and will be waken when wheels start rolling. Some system act faster, some need couple of minutes to start showing. So morning walk around still apply.
Battery replacement is another story as most of them are sealed and require whole sensor replacement. But sensors are getting cheaper and cheaper.
Factory TPMS are mounted inside the tire, so you have to pay for tire removal on top of that. But I have factory TPMS on my 11 years old sedan and batteries still work after 180k miles.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Yeah well the physics are:

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 where P=pressure, V=Volume and T-Temp in degrees Kelvin

Since V1=V2 you can drop that from the equation (yes volume may change slightly but we can ignore that)
and P2 is twice P1 then the temp in degrees K would have to double. Like from 270 deg K to 540 deg K and that obviously is not happening. That would be a 270 deg Celsius temp jump since our tires are not running at over 500 deg F. That's what physics says.

Good info. I once pulled into a rest stop and saw smoke rolling out of the left front tire. Turns out I had a caliper that was dragging for some longer period of time - and things were pretty toasty. My laser temp gun would not measure that caliper because it's limit was 1,000 degrees. I didn't think this scenario was even possible so I checked and double checked, but I can say it was still smoking when we finished our business at the rest stop. So we had lunch. My point is that I could believe that in rare circumstances temps can easily go over 500 degrees. But if that can happen then I wonder why my tire didn't blow. And no, I did not try measuring the tire temp ... Just saying ...
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Before buying a high tech, super deluxe system check the price of battery replacement, up to $50 per sensor!"

FWIW the TST system using common button batteries. My last ones were about 30 cents each.

Would definitely bump the TST system to the head of my list!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend a TPMS, itโ€™s saved me before I had a blowout before. I have the EEZRV one and really like it. The TST and EEZRV are commonly recommended brands. I will not have a trailer without one. Itโ€™s nice to be able to just look at the monitor instead of manually checking each tire. I still do a visual check at every fuel stop. I also took the security covers off. Itโ€™s just like removing a valve stem cover to add air or to manually check at home when preparing for a trip.

I have low and high pressure thresholds set to alert for under or over pressure. I drive a lot in FL and the southeast where itโ€™s hot. I start around 110 psi and they will get up to around 120 psi on a hot day. Also watch the temperature of the tire. A rising temp should warrant a check of the tire and could be a sign of a possible problem. Low pressure often causes the temperature go rise until the tire finally fails.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the 4 sender Carchet system for my Toyota for the rear duals. I went with Carchet as they seem to be the only one that has much info online and replacement sensors can be purchased for.

It is a cheap setup and not NASA accurate for psi, you become accustomed to the inaccuracys. I have tested it numerous times and too low of pressure or a quick falling of pressure will set off the alarm without fail.

This is the third year I have had it, it has detected one quick release of pressure that I would not have noticed while driving. And now something is wrong with the display it is not showing one tire.

Before buying a high tech, super deluxe system check the price of battery replacement, up to $50 per sensor!

https://www.ebay.com/p/CARCHET-Car-TPMS-Tyre-Intelligent-Pressure-Monitoring-System-4-External-Senso...