cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

riddle me this Batman

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer
Daughter and son-in-law recently got a 5ver (2011 cougar) via Ohio to Reno Nv.So both sides of the 5ver 6" up from the bottom it looked like someone took a can opener to them from the landing gear to the outside steps and the other side from the landing gear to the tires including the fender skirt.Driver said he drove into some strong winds going thur Wyoming.Does this sound like a fish story or what.Any ideas on how this could happen and would u accept the 5ver.Bummer summer for the kids.Got the 5ver on feb.17th
has anyone driven highway 88 from reno to pine grove,ca.w/a 36ft 5th wheel
12 REPLIES 12

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
I am an adjuster,

Years ago in Amarillo we had a similar instance where a tumbleweed opened the car up like a can opener. However, there was a 3’piece of irrigation pipe stuck in the tumbleweed. Can it happen, yeah.

Did this one happen? Doubtful

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
I worked for an RV dealer in Nor Cal for about 10 years, I did the check in for a lot of our inventory. I am calling BS- never saw "wind" damage a unit. My spidey sense makes me think selling dealer knows more than they are letting on mainly because they are willing to pay for repairs.
I tend to agree with you about the possibility of the dealer sending out a damaged unit.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I worked for an RV dealer in Nor Cal for about 10 years, I did the check in for a lot of our inventory. I am calling BS- never saw "wind" damage a unit. My spidey sense makes me think selling dealer knows more than they are letting on mainly because they are willing to pay for repairs.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I towed my TT into a 50 mph headwind going across Oklahoma once (and never again, believe me!). I maintained 50-55 mph doing it, and yes it sucked up a LOT of fuel in the process. It also vibrated the vent open slowly, and required tying down the crank handle to prevent that vent from opening enough to get torn off. But there was NO other damage from the journey. So I call BS on the wind damage story, too.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
jelly belly bean wrote:
yep they took deliverly.Dont ask me y.Ohio dealership said they will pay to have it fixed.Too long of a process for this Jelly Bean.Live and learn I guess

I'd go over that thing like TSA molesting travelers and see what =else= the hotshot broke. Hate hearing stories like this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer
yep they took deliverly.Dont ask me y.Ohio dealership said they will pay to have it fixed.Too long of a process for this Jelly Bean.Live and learn I guess
has anyone driven highway 88 from reno to pine grove,ca.w/a 36ft 5th wheel

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need a picture but sounds like the trailer hit more than just a strong wind 😞

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Most hot shotters (RV delivery drivers) should have a bond - insurance to cover just this kind of thing.

But, it might be too late to file any kind of claim if your daughter and son in-law signed off the delivery docs.....:(
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Accept a damaged trailer? Not very likely to happen, unless the damage was clearly shown in the pictures of trailer before it left its starting point.

I can't believe it would even be in doubt. Who would accept a damaged delivery, and why?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jelly belly bean wrote:
ideas on how this could happen and would u accept the 5ver.

I have no idea what happened to cause the damage. There is no way I would have accepted the rig, especially after hearing the drivers story (fairy tale?).

But, it sounds like it has been accepted?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I call hogwash. How many thousands have driven thru windy Wyoming, me included, with no damage?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
If it's not delivered as it was pictured (I assume they were giving pics of it), why in hell did the accept it?! Needs to be rejected, returned and refunded, IMO. If not, then they need to get a legal team involved.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member