cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadside Assistance

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different companies offer RV roadside assistance. Has anyone encountered an issue having their RV towed to a repair facility.

Maybe their choice tells them they don't have anyone that can tow something that big or whatever.

I'm attempting to decipher the fine print in my selection.The word "available" came up. It would seem that traveling across the fruited plain that there should be available rigs to tow a "C".

Deliberately not naming them to keep this informative.
16 REPLIES 16

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
So there I sit with the State Farm ryder, the #1 ERS Coach Net, in Hells Canyon SD on a Friday night, with no cell phone signal and not a car in sight : ) ... snip

What you describe is exactly why I have some homework to do: I have to contact Coach-Net and see if they can respond to text messages as well as voice phone calls. I can send and receive texts from anywhere using my emergency rescue satellite device when there's no cell service, so maybe I could communicate with Coach-Net via text messages to/from them using that device. :h

P.S. I sure wish I could afford a regular satellite phone to carry along with us in the RV as the ultimate communication device. In the long run I don't "trust" the cellular phone system to be of use in either - remote RV'ing locations, or in any RV'ing location during natural disasters that might occur while we're out and about.

Long story I was eventually rescued by a Sheriff and a good Samaritan. I had a bad fuel pump and the good Samaritan banged on the tank while I started the RV. The Sheriff told me he had no idea where we could get a tow truck from! He did follow me to Newcastle in case I broke down again.

This is Rt 16 between Custer SD and Newcastle WY, really not that remote.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest CB radio in situations with no cell phone service.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjrbus wrote:
So there I sit with the State Farm ryder, the #1 ERS Coach Net, in Hells Canyon SD on a Friday night, with no cell phone signal and not a car in sight : ) ... snip

What you describe is exactly why I have some homework to do: I have to contact Coach-Net and see if they can respond to text messages as well as voice phone calls. I can send and receive texts from anywhere using my emergency rescue satellite device when there's no cell service, so maybe I could communicate with Coach-Net via text messages to/from them using that device. :h

P.S. I sure wish I could afford a regular satellite phone to carry along with us in the RV as the ultimate communication device. In the long run I don't "trust" the cellular phone system to be of use in either - remote RV'ing locations, or in any RV'ing location during natural disasters that might occur while we're out and about.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
ONe thing needs to be known. None of the ERS services own any equipment. You will be calling a call center which may work for more than one company.

The tows are sub contracted out to towing company's. So the relationship between the Emergency Road Service, their call centers and towing sub contractors is what is important. How much they pay their call center emplyee's, how much do they pay tow company's and how quickly do they pay the bill are all important.

When calling ERS just about guarantees you will be towed, not always a good thing in my opinion. Took me 2 days to get a mobile mechanic in Chagrin falls Ohio.

I have the ERS ryder on my State Farm policy and also use Coach Net. Every year before I renew I do my due diligence and every year Coach Net is #1.

So there I sit with the State Farm ryder, the #1 ERS Coach Net, in Hells Canyon SD on a Friday night, with no cell phone signal and not a car in sight : )

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cobra21 wrote:
Usually you can add towing and roadside assistance on your auto or RV policy. We have on all our vehicles with Progressive and it works very well. You can call them, or call who ever you want. Save the receipt and get reimbursed.
Brian

We have it on our RV policy but in addition, also signed up with Coach-Net too so as to be sure and have no problems or hassles anywhere anytime in getting help. If one doesn't respond well or at all ... we can try the other.

A stranded motorhome with no tow vehicle is high priority in getting good roadside service.

For getting medical help on highest priority when out with the motorhome ... we also carry along a satellite based rescue communications device.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Usually you can add towing and roadside assistance on your auto or RV policy. We have on all our vehicles with Progressive and it works very well. You can call them, or call who ever you want. Save the receipt and get reimbursed.
Brian

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Coach Net. Radiator blew on a sunday about 50 miles into Montana. Sent truck to tow us back to near where we were that morning (100 miles), parked us in a campground. They said there was a ford dealer able to handle us. Next morning dealer said not till the end of week. They then found another one 100 miles away to replace the radiator and had us towed there. Got coach back 25 hours after getting there.

Coach had 4000 miles on it and we were on a 3 month trip to and from Alaska. Lost 2 days, visited one of the best museums on the whole trip and only missed one planned stop.

Never saw a bill of either tow.
Jim Hunter

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've had AAA plus RV change a dually wheel for me, without any great hassle (though somewhat of a wait in finding an available service provider in the area who would do the job).

Normal AAA auto coverage doesn't cover RVs. AAA RV coverage, as the name would suggest, does, but is an add-on to the AAA plus tier and apparently isn't universally available.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were with AAA for 35+ years and I canceled when - AAA refused to install my RV's spare with our RV sitting right in our backyard!!! They said that "they don't change a flat on dually tires." :h

I dropped AAA like a hot potato and switched to Coach-Net's premium plan so that the RV, plus all of our other vehicles, are covered. When I switched I assumed that Coach-Net would be an "expert" in dealing with our highest priority vehicle - the RV - which could wind up needing assistance anywhere in the U.S., Canada, or Alaska.

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-Net for me, used twice in one year always had large rig for service even when they were changing tire.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been towed a few times now on Vancouver Island under Good Sam. Only problem is in the beginning on the phone, trying to explain where we are. Once that is sorted out, it goes well.

I have learned to have lots of money on my pay as you go phone (only use it for emergencies like this--I do not have automatic add money if it runs out) while the Good Sam guys learn their geography and put me on hold forever, then the tow truck guys call me for more phone time.

The tow is free, but the phone calls sure are not free! 😞

I suppose that is not an issue with folks who have "normal" cell phone plans that already cost a bunch.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coach-Net. Hsve had very good results with them in the past.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
klutchdust wrote:
Different companies offer RV roadside assistance. Has anyone encountered an issue having their RV towed to a repair facility.

I spent hours on the side of I-79 halfway up a mountain in WV (thankfully in a pullout) during a snow storm with no heat waiting while a certain RS tried to get me a tow truck to rescue me (at their much reduced rates) while they had more customers willing to pay full pop than they could handle.

Finally I raised enough of a stink they finally strong-armed one company saying tow me or they’ll not get any more business. That back-fired on me though because the disgruntled tow operator towed by rig down the interstate without removing the driveshaft first. That cost me $5k for a new transmission on top of everything else.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have CAA RVplus. I've not had to use it often, but I'm pleased with the service.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.