cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Santa Fe to Taos to Great Sand Dunes NP

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Santa Fe, NM to Taos, NM then to Great Sand Dune National Park in Colorado.

What route would you recommend and are there any issues with our 45-foot motorhome towing our toad. We are very experienced driving mountain and curvy roads.

Thank you for your input.
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
14 REPLIES 14

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going to Taos, staying on NM 522 to Fort Garland is fine. You can stay in Alamosa, we usually stay at the KOA and then it's a short drive to the Great Sand Dunes NP. We have only been there one evening so I don't know what the campground is like.

Going through Taos is annoying when its busy but still not a problem. Weekdays are best. At times they have talked about a bypass route around Taos, but I don't think anything has been done.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Either route Alamosa or Fort Garland the road is fine nothing crazy at all. There is a campground with full hookups right outside the park I think it is called Oasis. It is not bad at all. Their little store also rents boards and sleds to ride the dunes if you like. I can tell you from experience that you can go dang fast so if you do try it start on something a bit shorter before you go big.
The Alligator farm while certainly tired as someone put it is a nice side trip and we found it interesting but don't expect Sea World. Who would have thought about Alligators in the San Luis Valley especially since Alamosa is routinely one of the coldest locations in the state in the winter time which is maybe 15 miles away (and the gators are all out doors no indoor heat for them).
A couple other short side trips right there is a short hike to Zapata Falls as well as Fort Garland museum or whatever it is called where they have the original Fort. It is nothing crazy just an interesting snapshot in history.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We drove east on US 64 from Tres Piedras to Taos last summer. The road is very bumpy--lots of patches and virutally no shoulder. But it is only about 27 miles so it can be one just be patient. US 85 north into CO was OK. We tow a 39 foot 5th wheel with 12 years of experience on the roads of the US and Canada.

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

Great advice on the route and great suggestions for things to do and places to stay.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
NMDriver2 wrote:

NM 522 becomes CO 159 at the border. Nice drive, a little up and down but nothing serious and not to much traffic. Using 64 to 285 adds about an hour to the trip by the time you drive back east to the Dunes.

Google maps says 64/285 to dunes is 18 minutes slower. Turn off on 160 to dunes is only about 5 miles closer to Ft Garland than to Alamosa.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Only nasty place on the route is through Taos. Streets are narrow with parking on both sides.
Route is mostly two lane highway and last trip through was in good shape. Been several years.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
No one actually answered your question about the highways. . And been years since I have been in that area. But from reading other posts about it, I think 68 from Espanola to Taos is fine for you. And from Taos you could take either 522 to Ft Garland or US 64 back to US 285 to Alamosa, either of which I believe is also ok. Maybe someone who has been there recently will chime in for a more up to date answer.

There is a KOA just east of Alamosa and a short distance from the dunes that can handle your MH.

April/May/early June is a great time to visit the dunes. Weather not so hot. And Medano Creek will still be running across the lower part of the dunes, wide but inches deep. Dries up toward end of June.

X2

NM 522 becomes CO 159 at the border. Nice drive, a little up and down but nothing serious and not to much traffic. Using 64 to 285 adds about an hour to the trip by the time you drive back east to the Dunes.
Turret Class traveler

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Mbiviano wrote:
If of any interest to you, there's a nice natural springs somewhat nearby the Sand Dunes with an RV park. Lookup Sand Dunes Pool if of any interest.

To the original post - the drive is not an issue, IMHO.

If you decide to stay the Pool might be Fun with the Bar.

Looks interesting . .:)

Pinion Flats Looks as if I could fit in a pinch -

We generally stay in Salida or Buena Vista and just drive the Toad for a hike into the Sand.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
No one actually answered your question about the highways. . And been years since I have been in that area. But from reading other posts about it, I think 68 from Espanola to Taos is fine for you. And from Taos you could take either 522 to Ft Garland or US 64 back to US 285 to Alamosa, either of which I believe is also ok. Maybe someone who has been there recently will chime in for a more up to date answer.

There is a KOA just east of Alamosa and a short distance from the dunes that can handle your MH.

April/May/early June is a great time to visit the dunes. Weather not so hot. And Medano Creek will still be running across the lower part of the dunes, wide but inches deep. Dries up toward end of June.

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
If of any interest to you, there's a nice natural springs somewhat nearby the Sand Dunes with an RV park. Lookup Sand Dunes Pool if of any interest.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK and the pad length is 35 feet.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Campground is in grove of Pinion pines.
Pinion Campground

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many routes are there? 160 in CO is the only way unless you are going to take the 4WD road from the north side of the park. And 285 out of NM would be the normal way unless you are going to take local roads. Or backtrack to the interstate.

As for the Gator farm, coming from Florida the idea of a gator farm in high desert Colorado is bizarre. Like finding a Polar bear farm outside the town I live in. We've been by it several time but never tempted to stop.

It's been awhile since we camped in GS but I thought it was open sand fields.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The campground in Great Sand Dunes could be tight for your rig. May want to drop toad and drive it through.
Visit the alligator farm just north of park. Interesting, but kind of tired. Gator ranch

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow