cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dumping grey water in large quantities (500 gallons).

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
I have idea to filter grey water before dumping it on the ground.
To be as safe as I can, I can disinfect it by chlorine and then filter it down to 5 microns (0.0002 inches) by numerous filters. For Size comparison, a human red blood cell is about 5 microns across. A human hair is about 75 microns across

Letโ€™s assume filtered water being disposed in BLM, what is likelihood of some law enforcement gives me hard time?
If you pour this water into glass, it will be clear. Technically can be used to wash RV or something like that.

42 REPLIES 42

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
By your responses you have it all figured out... It really does not look like your looking for approval from us RV.net folks...

I would not be dumping 500 gallons of grey water on land that was not mine..

So no one dumps any gray water anywhere?
I listen if it articulated, saying chlorine is bad for environment is not one of them.
I'm looking for experience from other people. Do they think someone will bother me if they see me dumping water. How they dump grey water... and so on. Bouncing off ideas.

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Plan B RV wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Plan B RV wrote:
So you saying that government worker are ignorant to the point to think that I'm dumping black water?
Have you ever smelled Grey water after being held for a week, it's nearly as bad as black water, and unless you don't wash dishes in your RV, the tiny food residue will draw critters.

Bacteria creates smell, water will go thru chlorine,UV light and many filters. So it will not smell. Like I said, it will be like non-potable water from the park.

Chlorine is not a natural product. It is not only noticeable, but a chemical which is considered a chemical pollutant.

That's why chlorine filter is last, so it will filter chlorine as well after it helped disinfect water. You can see it in diagram.

By your responses you have it all figured out... It really does not look like your looking for approval from us RV.net folks...

I would not be dumping 500 gallons of grey water on land that was not mine..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Plan B RV wrote:
To be as safe as I can, I can disinfect it by chlorine and then filter it down to 5 microns (0.0002 inches) by numerous filters. For Size comparison, a human red blood cell is about 5 microns across. A human hair is about 75 microns across

Letโ€™s assume filtered water being disposed in BLM, what is likelihood of some law enforcement gives me hard time?
If you pour this water into glass, it will be clear. Technically can be used to wash RV or something like that.

To go back to your original question. It is extremely likely that if observed by law enforcement they will give you a hard time. I have no idea what kind of fines would be involved if any. But I imagine that would depend on the person reporting you as to what and how they reported it.

So I guess dumping 50 gallons very late at night and winding hose back-up.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lol.....this is a good one.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Plan B RV wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Plan B RV wrote:
So you saying that government worker are ignorant to the point to think that I'm dumping black water?
Have you ever smelled Grey water after being held for a week, it's nearly as bad as black water, and unless you don't wash dishes in your RV, the tiny food residue will draw critters.

Bacteria creates smell, water will go thru chlorine,UV light and many filters. So it will not smell. Like I said, it will be like non-potable water from the park.

Chlorine is not a natural product. It is not only noticeable, but a chemical which is considered a chemical pollutant.

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Do you have a 'waste water treatment license'?
Are you a certified 'waste water treatment' operator?
Are you aware of laws/regulations/restrictions that cover dumping of waste water?

You are NOT being serious....are you?
What happened to Plan A?
Time to go to Plan C...cause Plan B is NOT viable and illegal in many states

That's what wrong with this country, asking child to have health permit to sell lemonade!
Asking man if he has license to be a man. For example, in NJ you need license to pump gas, but somehow rest of the USA can figure out how to use fuel pump.
I don't need to be rocket scientist to filter some water. Specially in 2019 because we have such great equipment available to us.

If fact, i think you would not be happy if I have boiled all water off, captured vapor and then dumped it.;)

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Plan B RV wrote:

To go back to your original question. It is extremely likely that if observed by law enforcement they will give you a hard time. I have no idea what kind of fines would be involved if any. But I imagine that would depend on the person reporting you as to what and how they reported it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Travel glampers wrote:
I have a friend who has wintered near Yuma, AZ. on BLM land. He was required to haul all wastewater to an approved dump station, which pumped it to a collection system/treatment plant. Discharging anything to the land, water, storm, or sanitary sewer requires an approved permit. Close encounters with EPA and the US Justice Department are quite painful and expensive.

approved permit? To dump water? How does that work? Thank you.

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Plan B RV wrote:

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Plan B RV wrote:

4 people, 7 days, 10 minute shower and laundry. About 500 gallons.
500/4=125 gallons per person per week.
125/7=17.85 gallons per day per person.
10 minute low flow shower = 10 gallons My girl has big Afro that needs a lot of maintenance
Toiler flushes, dishes, laundry....
I rather have more and not needed

Just "WOW"!...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Plan_B_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I'm curious about what you're doing that will generate 500 gallons of grey water per week! The two of us manage nicely generating only ~30 gallons a week.

4 people, 7 days, 10 minute shower and laundry. About 500 gallons.
500/4=125 gallons per person per week.
125/7=17.85 gallons per day per person.
10 minute low flow shower = 10 gallons My girl has big Afro that needs a lot of maintenance
Toiler flushes, dishes, laundry....
I rather have more and not needed

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is only one correct answer. And if you ask the EPA they will be happy to give you that answer.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500