cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 Ram change from 16" wheel to 18"?

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to see if anyone has changed up their 16" wheels to either 17" or 18", whichever can handle more weight. Having read posts on going to 19.5", I don't think I want to go there. Something that would handle 3800-3900 lbs should work I think. If you have done this, could you suggest a wheel vendor and what tires did you go with. Thank you for your time. Pat
15 REPLIES 15

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I have two duallies, one has Alcoa wheels and the other has a set of look-alikes on it.
One day not long ago while polishing the look-alikes I noticed they had a fairly low weight rating.
I’ve forgotten what it was but it was lower than the tires! (235/85/16)
I’ve run that truck way heavy for many years and no issues, but I probably wouldn’t have bought those wheels if I’d thought to check that at the time!
I went and checked the “real” Alcoas (same size) and they had a higher rating, again I don’t recall the number but I do remember it was high enough for the truck loaded heavy.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:

What are we talking about here? Stock, stamped-out cheap steel rims or after-market alloy?

Stock, stamped out cheap steel wheels are typically rated higher than alum alloy after market wheels.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I have 17's, up from stock 16's.
Yes, limited tire choices. Go for the 18 so you have way more choice and more chance to find a replacement tire when out on the road traveling.

I have never thought about how much load the wheel can carry on the truck (trailer yes), and never heard of a wheels failing under load. The tire is always the weak link I thought.
What are we talking about here? Stock, stamped-out cheap steel rims or after-market alloy?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fir those that think that the 33-34" dia tires are low profile on 18-20" rims and they somehow makes them rougher riding or less capable, stop and look at the sidewalk height and then compare it to stock 16-17" size truck tires, for HDs.
You 100% will get better overall performance out of an equal diameter tire on a bigger wheel, except maybe in low psi off road situations and even then, the bigger rim tires air down fine. Plenty of sidewall. Comparing say 285-75-16 to 285-60-20.
The 16s are a marshmallow compared to the 20s especially when stiffness and stability are the preferred trait like for hauling a camper.

Edit sidewall not sidewalk...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
zzyzxpat wrote:
I am looking to see if anyone has changed up their 16" wheels to either 17" or 18", ...

I would recommend against 17" wheels as an upgrade because the tire selection for increase Load Index is limited for this dimension. I have researched the sheet out of this size for my application as was able to make a Nitto 285/17 with LI126 work for me.

Truck mfrgr's went to 17's for the larger brakes for the clearance required. I learned this when researching the various options and wondered if I could go down to 16's.... the tires were vast, but the wheels would not fit my Dodge. I considered 18's but was able to run the numbers from CAT scale slips to make he Nittos work for my situation.

I have not looked at LI's and ratings for 16's in a long time but IIRC there seemed to be quite a lot of selection. If this is not the case anymore I would look closer at 18's bit in conjunction with higher load capacity tire, make sure to look at the weight capabilities of the wheels... what good is a capable tire if the wheels that host them cannot support it... wheels most likely could be the weakest link even with a qualified tire.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great info. Not sure which way I will go but you have given me some great info. I appreciate it very much. I am a transmission builder, almost 35 years, so if I can help with any questions, feel free. Pat

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
zzyzxpat wrote:
I am looking to see if anyone has changed up their 16" wheels to either 17" or 18", whichever can handle more weight. Having read posts on going to 19.5", I don't think I want to go there. Something that would handle 3800-3900 lbs should work I think. If you have done this, could you suggest a wheel vendor and what tires did you go with. Thank you for your time. Pat

I am running BFG 295 x 75 x 16 129 LI at 3950# ea.

Stick with the 16’s.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
zzyzxpat wrote:

I am running BFG 295 x 75 x 16 129 LI at 3950# ea.

Stick with the 16’s.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FireGuard wrote:
Look on Craigslist for a set of wheels and tires from a new Ram.
Numerous brand new sets for $1000 or less. 285/70/18

^This. 100% bolt on. Have done it multiple times. Cheap easy upgrade for an old set of wheels.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The 17" are at 3195lb with a couple tires having a 3450lb rating. 18" has higher load rated tires available (I can't remember what the capacity is without googling).

We thought hard about going to a TC, and I was planning on getting stock ram 18" alloys to replace my 17".
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Ask that question on Cumminsforum.com.
There’s even a specific “tires and wheels” section.
You’ll get good info specific to your 2000 Dodge there.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Look on Craigslist for a set of wheels and tires from a new Ram.
Numerous brand new sets for $1000 or less. 285/70/18
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like low profile tires on trucks

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
I don't think you will be happy. It will be like changing your diff gear to a higher ratio (lower numerically) which will kill towing ability.

Tires that are the same height with larger wheels will not affect effective gear ratio.

Op,

18s will carry more weight.