cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power converter

orsogood
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fifth wheel with a ten year old PD 9100 Series power converter that works ok but I was thinking of replacing it before it goes bad and I am stuck somewhere. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm with Barney. I would expect that PD to last indefinitely. If I was worried about it ruining a trip, I would just get a battery charger to use in advent of an emergency. That would have other uses between now and the unforeseeable.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wonder why you think it may go bad. The PD series of converters are one of the best in the business. My trailer has a 9100 series converter to which I added the Charge Wizard way back in 2004 when we purchased it new. It has run almost continuously since then and shows no signs of giving up. If it does, it would be an easy swap out for a new one.

I don't think I would worry about it conking out on you while you are on a trip. If, by chance, it does then you should be able to get another one fairly easily.
I would not replace it just because it is getting older.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 9200 sitting at home on the shelf still in the box. How long before you buy a new one? Will be home around the end of April.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
When the converter died in my trailer, I replaced it with an Iota 45 unit. Far better than the OEM equipment.

Here's the source for what I'm using: https://amzn.to/2TWhUVg

Charging current when first powered up:

FWIW, I've been using the 75A version with my home solar setup for over 8 years. It works flawlessly to recharge a 1000AH battery bank on overcast days when the solar panels can't do the job. The Iota chargers are quiet, and provide very clean power.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My upgrade would be to a PD9200

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would add the Wizard (assuming you don't already have it) to the existing converter and continue to run it.
Get and carry a like spare and the original converter will never fail ๐Ÿ˜‰

http://www.bestconverter.com/Charge-Wizard-Flooded-AGM

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Randy at Best Converters. Great customer service, decent prices.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

jelly_belly_bea
Explorer
Explorer
try boondockers they have some nice four stage ones.I have one it was a great investment.
has anyone driven highway 88 from reno to pine grove,ca.w/a 36ft 5th wheel