cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East/West bed???

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a comment on some youtube video about campers with north/south beds being better than east/west and so on and so forth. I didn't know there WERE any truck campers with east/west beds. I camp alone and think the east/west would be easier to climb in and out of. Who makes them?
17 REPLIES 17

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
My old โ€˜87 Vacationeer had a huge bed, you could sleep whatever way you wanted.
It was 72x80... that was cool. No compass needed.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Now I know why a dog circles before laying down, it's looking for a north/south bed just like my camper.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
my own observation, I've found I sleep much better when my body is aligned North-South. Not sure why.

Has to do with the magnetic poles!:)
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Northern Lite was east west and LOVED it!! Of course I camped alone.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

maxum1989
Explorer
Explorer
Adventurer has a model of truck camper that has the East/West bed.
2008 Chevy 2500hd Duramax/Allison
2006 Wildcat 27 bhwb
2009 Lance 830 *Sold*
2011 Northern Lite 8.5 *Sold*

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Our old / sold Lance was a N/S but the Palomino we have now is an E/W. Neither are / were a problem. The person with the weaker bladder sleeps on the outside (me).
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Palamino pop-up TC with an E/W bed when I was single, it worked great. I got married and sold the camper within a year. The next one had a N/S bed.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Eureka truck camper comes with an East/West bed orientation. However, you can include an upgrade that uses a slide out platform to extend the width (East/West) allowing a North/South orientation. We use a tri-fold mattress that folds over on itself prior to moving the sliding platform back in.

The North/South platform extension

The collapsed position returning to an East/West orientation

As with most things in life, there are pros and cons to everything ๐Ÿ™‚

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

East/west or north/south referring to the bed in the cabover of a T/C (and the length of the cantilever cab-over section). East/west was the norm back in the day for a T/C. Mostly due to construction of extended camper nose. When north/south started appearing more commonly was still offered as an option, now finding a hardside camper with east/west bed likely far and few between.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
If you are solo, an E/W bed is very nice and easy to crawl into. It is a bit more of a pain tucking in the foot of the sheets however. The only way I've found to do a decent job is to crawl under the mattress and then pull the sheet/blanket under as I wiggle back out.

I have one on my Lance 815 which was probably the most common in the Lance lineup. The 815 was offered with an optional extended cabover which changed the bed to a N/S but I've never seen one. Unfortunately, they quit making the 815 when the 850 came out around 2008(?).

Another option for you is to look at campers with twin beds. This was practical before they started putting a lot of cabinets besides the N/S beds.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Both my Alaskan cab over camper and my first small Jayco 5th wheel had East West Beds.

As said the person towards the front had to craw over or have the person towards the back move to get out of bed at night for a potty run.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, that information is classified for TT owners. :B

They are talking about which way the mattress is oriented in the cabover part of a truck camper. East/west used to be the norm, and you were sleeping across (perpendicular or 90 degrees to) the direction of travel. North/south requires a much longer cabover area, but became the norm after extended cab and crew cab truck became popular. With north/south, youโ€™re sleeping parallel to the direction of travel.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
From a non-TC'er, what are you folks talking about? Pictures to show the difference?

x2 me either.

just to interject my own observation, I've found I sleep much better when my body is aligned North-South. Not sure why. I always try to land the rig with the head of the bed pointing North.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
From a non-TC'er, what are you folks talking about? Pictures to show the difference?

I believe it refers to sleeping beds running either perpendicular or parallel to the side walls.