cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar Supplement Recommendations

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
I had a new Norcold Refridgerator (2 way) installed which works great. The RV is parked most of the month and I live in the Clearwater Florida area. I have really good quality shore batteries and mostly use the RV at an RV campground in the area when I am home.

The Norcold model NA7LX draws .93 amps and 11 watts when on LP mode. So when I come in even though the shore batteries are in ok shape the Refridge starts to indicate a low voltage condition after a short while.

My question is would a basic solar panel system produce enough juice to provide adequate amps and watts to power the Refrigerator on LP mode? I called Norcold and they said the chance was 50/50 of it working. It seems like such a low requirement to provide enough electricity from a 100 watt solar system but maybe I'm thinking wrong.... Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Get at least a 100 watt solar panel and a charge controller. Thrashing about with the stuff in the frig is a hassle. And you have a cold frig when you need it. I have solar on our MH and had to leave it at a transmission shop, for 10 days, in SoCal. When we returned every thing in the frig was still good. If I didn't have solar, I would have had to empty the frig and lose all the perishables. And even if you don't have the frig on, you house batteries will stay topped off.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MrWizard
Leave the solar connected directly to the battery
All the time
This way the battery should be at full charge when you come home
Battery sitting for 4 weeks has some self discharge
Battery is not full when you come home
That's why the quick drop in voltage
Is not just about solar when fridge is on, which is only daylight hours for solar
It's solar to keep the battery fully topped up when your not home
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
That’s what I do. Just looking to supplement with solar when I’m home

MrWizard
Your gone for 4 weeks
With the RV having no shore power?

And only home for one week
Empty the fridge , turn off the propane
Use solar to keep batteries topped off ready to go
Much safer,
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
The reason for the solar panels is to bring in enough electricity in Clearwater FL area to allow refrigerator on LP mode to operate if I’m not attached to shore power for a while and don’t run the generator. They are Trojan brand batteries. I’m an over the road truck driver who’s gone for four weeks and in for one.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
psalm10720 wrote:
I have two Trojan brand 12 volt shore batteries. It didn't seem correct when the Norcold person told me it was a 50/50 shot to get it to work. I am not talking a lot of time off the grid. I am trying to supplement for some times making sure the Refrigerator can run off solar for some time. I more than likely hook up to RV park electricity....

How many amp hours are your batteries? How old are they and how well have you maintained them?

MrWizard
"really good shore batteries" ?

what does that mean ?

batteries supply power, when there is NO Shore Power !

are you storing the RV away from home with the fridge ON ?
and no shore power

i suggest you take your food home and turn the fridge off
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

psalm10720
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Trojan brand 12 volt shore batteries. It didn't seem correct when the Norcold person told me it was a 50/50 shot to get it to work. I am not talking a lot of time off the grid. I am trying to supplement for some times making sure the Refrigerator can run off solar for some time. I more than likely hook up to RV park electricity....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Installing an RV solar system starts with an energy survey.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
A modest solar setup can make sure a bit more power than that. But first, how are your batteries?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some good reading .

https://www.altestore.com/blog/2016/09/what-can-i-power-100w-solar-panel/

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
What are you running for house batteries?

A single 100 watt panel should be enough, IF you have good sun every day, a couple of very cloudy or rainy days would take away most of the recharging. A single group 27 Battery would make the rainy days a problem quickly, 4 GC-2 Batteries with 100 watts of solar would likely do fine because you would have sufficient reserve power to carry you through those rainy days.