cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about camping with a pittbull

gpeade
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I just bought a camper and want to get back into camping. This time around we have two dogs. Both are rescue "mutts" and one is part Pitt. First campground I called to make a reservation won't allow him because he is a "dangerous" breed. If any of you own bulls you know the BS and aggravation that goes along with this.
My question for you guys is this...what is your experiences with different campgrounds? Now I know I can say he isn't a Pitt but do campgrounds generally ask for vaccination records? These state he is a Pitt-mix so I can't hide it then.

How do those of you with larger dogs deal with this issue?

Thanks
82 REPLIES 82

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
โ€˜Emotional support animalโ€™ mauls 5-year-old at Portland Airport, lawsuit claims'

FoxNews.com 2-27-19.

Pit Bull.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree 100 percent with that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
So back to the OP: you have one other problem. As others have pointed out, there are those starry-eyed folks who think all dogs need to "meet and be friends"; or there's the clueless ones whose little fluffbit is sending all kinds of vile body language at your dog. No matter what - the pitbull is always guilty if things escalate.

I adopted a cattle dog "Jack" who was as dog-aggressive as they come. He was fine with little dogs; but wanted to take on anything bigger than he was. Several obedience classes (taken at our local AKC Kennel Club, where they were very understanding of why we were there and overlooked the pinch collar) finally overwhelmed his urge to fight; and whenever we were approached by other dogs, I could put him in "sit/stay" mode until the other dogs passed.

So I would recommend some obedience classes, just because you will need to protect your dog against whatever comes your way.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
My dog has been dog aggressive a few times in the 10 years that we've had her. Only 1 of these incidents ended up in a dog fight. An unleashed dog wandered into our campsite. That dog ended up with a little mark on it's nose. The owner from a few sites down apologized and agreed my dog was not at fault and I didn't say anything about his not being on a leash. Since then we're always alert to a dog possibly wandering in our site or walking up to us when we're walking our leashed dog. We run into at least 1 in every park that the owner will just not put the dog on a leash. As we approach a wandering dog, I'll change direction with our dog and my wife will try to distract the loose dog. 9 out of 10 times the nearby owner will yell "oh, he's fine, he loves everyone!" and that's when my wife answers back "well mine doesn't!" I really wish owners would realize that leashing their dog not only protects people but it also protects their own dog.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
As with most all encounters, being a paranoid owner will prevent many of these issues. No matter how friendly my dog is, I would never let it "approach a strange dog for a sniff". Regardless of the other dog's breed, I will kepp our distance. If it is someplace where the dogs will be required to interact, I will FIRST talk to the other owner. Getting a sense for the owner is the best way to get a first impression of the dog. Does the person use terms like "he wouldn't hurt a fly" or "he just loves other dogs"? Does the person want to "just let them say hello"? In my experience these are danger signs. Why? Because they don't question the other dog at all. They believe that dogs will all get along regardless of everything else....

Yup, good advice. I am one of the most paranoid dog walkers there is.๐Ÿ˜›

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm
toedtoes wrote:
As with most all encounters, being a paranoid owner will prevent many of these issues. No matter how friendly my dog is, I would never let it "approach a strange dog for a sniff". Regardless of the other dog's breed, I will kepp our distance. If it is someplace where the dogs will be required to interact, I will FIRST talk to the other owner. Getting a sense for the owner is the best way to get a first impression of the dog. Does the person use terms like "he wouldn't hurt a fly" or "he just loves other dogs"? Does the person want to "just let them say hello"? In my experience these are danger signs. Why? Because they don't question the other dog at all. They believe that dogs will all get along regardless of everything else.

Truer words have never been spoken :B

I follow your methods, also. Our Kaylee has NO manners, gets in every dog's face, thinks every dog (and person) loves her and wants her to lick them. She doesn't have an off switch and has never learned that that behavior will eventually lead to a dog taking issue. Most people we have met understand my reluctance to allow interactions when explained.

As far as the water working on a dog fight, think water boarding - if they think they can't breath, fighting becomes less important.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big strong dogs can be dangerous. Some people fear them. You are going to have to deal with the prejudice against your breed whether he deserves it or not.

We have a no kill shelter in the county where I live. About 3/4 of the dogs in there are pits or pit crosses. People seem to be very lax about breeding them and they are hard to adopt out.

I have thought about volunteering at the shelter, but I don't really want to walk a bunch of pit bulls that have been turned in by other people.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As with most all encounters, being a paranoid owner will prevent many of these issues. No matter how friendly my dog is, I would never let it "approach a strange dog for a sniff". Regardless of the other dog's breed, I will kepp our distance. If it is someplace where the dogs will be required to interact, I will FIRST talk to the other owner. Getting a sense for the owner is the best way to get a first impression of the dog. Does the person use terms like "he wouldn't hurt a fly" or "he just loves other dogs"? Does the person want to "just let them say hello"? In my experience these are danger signs. Why? Because they don't question the other dog at all. They believe that dogs will all get along regardless of everything else.

As for the bucket of water being more effective, think about it like a dog. You are overcome with fear or aggression to the point of fighting - you are in the "fight" of a fight or flight mode. Suddenly, you are being grabbed at the neck. All you know is that you are in a fight and something has gone for your neck. Suddenly you are fighting two enemies not one.

With the water, you are at that point and suddenly are shocked out of your "fight or die" thought process by something completely out of the norm. You lose your momentum rather than believe you are losing the fight.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I do not support breed restrictions I do understand the rationale behind them.
We cannot predict the behavior of any dog or human just by looking at them.
This is what stereotypes are all about and why we should not make judgements based on stereotypes.
Nevertheless if I were called to subdue an aggravated person
I would hope to encounter "Pee Wee Herman" vs. Hulk Hogan",or if there is an aggressive dog that needs to be subdued I like my chances with a Yorkie vs. a Pitbull.
Everything is manageable on paper but I don't want to tangle with Hulk Hogan or a Pitbull.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
A TC pulled up next to us at the Sister's Creekside municipal CG with 2 small dogs (their own) and a big Pit( their sons), which was a rescue. While registering at the office outside beside a 5th wheel, there was the sound of a violent dog fight. Next thing,a young guy doing some construction work at the CG came running up and asked for a bucket and water.Filled it up and ran off. My wife who was walking to the showers,saw everything.
The Pit from the TC was being walked on a leash when another camper with a young shepherd on a leash came together for a sniff. Pit lunged, grabbed the other dog by the throat and 4 men could not break his hold of the shepherd. Only when the bucket of water was dumped on the Pit did it disengage.
Police from Bend K9 arrived as did the SPCA. Pit was put in a vehicle and police talked to the guy in the TC who's hand required medical attention. Never saw the Pit again, TC folks left soon after. According to the CG manager, Pit has a record of other attacks. He said that as a municipal CG, they can't exclude any dog as long as the owners follow the rules.
Talked to the Shepherd's owner who said he and the dog were both traumatized as well as my wife who witnessed the whole scene.
Interesting that a bucket of water on the Pit was more effective releasing the Pits bite than 4 grown males.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
YIKES !!!!!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Perhaps what is needed is a more extensive test than the canine good citizen; one that includes bits of Schutzhund to assess for aggression and self control when presented with stimuli that would trigger human aggression.

Amen to that. Just read of a lady killed by her 2 "boxer mix" dogs: she apparently enjoyed "wrestling" with them in the yard - and for whatever reason, something set them off with some serious aggression ๐Ÿ˜ž
clicky
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you BCSnob. You cannot assume any behavior with any dog regardless of breed. There are many factors that can warp a "standard" behavior. But, just as you cannot assume that a particular dog of a breed cannot behave in a certain manner because of genetics, you cannot assume that a particular dog of a breed WILL behave in a certain manner because of genetics. You have to evaluate each dog on its own merits.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
I should stop here since I have taken this way off topic

But it's very interesting off topic stuff. I remember a bit about your field of expertise, so knowing your thoughts on testing for genes that affect behavior is interesting. I admit I don't always understand nearly as much as I wish I could, though.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K