Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Pikes Peak
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pikes Peak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of going to Pikes Peak in May or June in our 4wd Ford F-250 ,6.2 L carrying a Northstar Freedom camper. I know that both the truck and I begin breathing hard at about 10,000 feet. Has anyone done the climb (and descent) in a similar rig? I am curious to hear serious commentary. We have done quite a bit of mountain driving,but never at that altitude. I don’t mind hearing the truck revving up a storm while ascending, I don’t want to hear it’s screaming downhill while the brakes are streaming smoke. I might be getting a little timid with age, but as the days begin to dwindle, I’d rather not waste what I have left plummeting of a cliff.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would take the camper of at a campground it would be a lot less stress on you and the truck. I own the same truck just use the paddle shifter in the mountains and you will be fine.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Agree with above. You would make it back down in 1 piece, but 12mi of switchbacks and up to 10-11% grade, it will be far more enjoyable bobtail.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe some of the folks in the Springs can confirm, but wasn't there talk of eliminating the public drive to the top and requiring visitors to take the shuttle to The Peak similar to how Moron Belles and Hanging Lakes are doing it?

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year in late April or Early May when we were there they had closed the top 1/2 due to high winds. . . . [emoticon] .. . We only got to go 1/2 up.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same concern in May of 2017 when we made the climb to just over the 12,000 foot mark with our Adventurer 80RB on our Ram 2500HD (the last bit was still closed for snow removal). A bit to our surprise, the 6.4L Hemi didn't break a sweat and simply breezed to the top effortlessly. Engine temps never broke 212 degrees and RPM was very moderate due to the posted speed limits of roughly 30 and 25 mph. It was 79 degrees at the entrance station and 39 degrees at the top with wind gusts to 45 mph. We never noticed any effect from the wind at all. I'd have to say it was "a walk in the park". Our climb and decent is available in our YouTube video. You can check dash data read outs at various points. It truly was effortless and removing the camper as some had suggested would have been a complete waste of time and effort.

I'd recommend making the trip in the early morning as the wind typically doesn't kick up until the afternoon.

Pikes Peak in our 2016 Ram 2500 and 2016 Adventurer 80RB

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you want to drive up Pike's Peak for the drive or just to go up the mountain?
As a different kind of adventure , take the cog railway up.
We have done both. Drive was more for the veiw then anything else with several pull outs to enjoy it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Pikes Peak Cog railway is no longer operating.

Operation has ceased due to expense and significant maintenance and upgrade costs. It might reopen in a few years from what I recall from the announcement last year.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a shame but I see here it will reopen in 2021.
Cog railway

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you take your time, use your tranny to stay at a reasonable rpm, and make sure you use engine braking on the way down, you will not have a problem. Just remember to come down in one gear lower than what you used to go up. On the way down, you will have to stop so that the brake temperature police can use an IR thermometer to check your brakes. IF the brakes are hot, they will ask you to wait a while before continuing your descent.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pikes Peak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.