Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My F250 finally bit me in the bu##
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My F250 finally bit me in the bu##

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

I did go with the VGT. I like the exhaust brake. I compared the fixed with an add on exhaust brake to the VGT and they come out very close in price. I wanted to do some deletes but that happened just as Bullydog was getting fined and stopped selling the tuners that supported deletes.

Ah, okay.

BWT, EFI Live oe EZLynk is a way better tuning platform than Bully Dog. Places like Anarchy Diesel, Higher Power Performance, or Double R Diesel still sell them.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

BWT, EFI Live oe EZLynk is a way better tuning platform than Bully Dog. Places like Anarchy Diesel, Higher Power Performance, or Double R Diesel still sell them.

You just told the EPA where to go next! Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

kirkl

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

They all bite us eventually. My Ram got me twice in the last 6 months. Turbo went bad in October ($3,000 variable fin type of course) and I just got hit with the dreaded Dodge death wobble last week. Thankfully I wasn't towing. $2,000 going into front end parts on Monday.

Still cheaper than a $75,000 replacement truck.

I agree with your premise, but the bit about the $75,000 replacement truck feels like a stretch to make yourself feel better. You can get a modestly optioned gas truck for well under $40k in a 4wd/crew cab cab configuration, or a bit over $40k if you want diesel. You can check a bunch more boxes and work up to $75,000 but that's certainly not the entry point.

I don't see me going to a tradesman level with no A/C and very few other amenities. And it has to be suitable for the fifth-wheel I currently have and would be looking ahead to the next one I would need.

Lol, you must not have researched tradesmans before. I paid 43k for my new tradesman diesel long bed 4x4. Power windows, XM radio, Cruise, backup camera, exhaust brake and heck they even threw in heat and AC for me [emoticon]

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
Honda 2000 Generator

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Base level trim trucks now have A/C and power windows. It's not like the days in the past. My 2005 XL and 2015 Tradesman both had these basics as standard and I paid a little more for cruise and cloth.

Some of the Ford trucks in that era had cold solder joints in the instrument panel. A good electronic technician can fix them, but people like that are hard to find now days in a disposable society where products are cheaper to replace than to repair.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they all break sooner or later. some sooner I like my ford.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

knocks on wood [emoticon] My largest repair was transmission valve body for about $800. 18 years and 199,000 miles. Besides that an alternator and a fuel pump is it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol. No AC...

What some of y’all have to remember, is some of us talk vehicle prices from the standpoint of a person who is fiscally responsible, financially stable and also able to get the best pricing on a vehicle (TV, loaf of bread, etc...).
BUT $75k is not out of line for someone who’s not down with all that stuff above that I just said.
Take your moderately equipped diesel truck that “we” say can be had for $50k. Round numbers. Obviously that’s $10k or more off the sticker.
Now go buy a new car like a lot of consumers....because, even the janitor is entitled to a new diesel truck in our society, right?
$60 k sticker price
$3000 dealer add on sucker “stuff”
$6k tax
$2k In gotta have accessories
$5-10k interest, cost of financing.
Now you got $75k into a truck, not even considering the first tank of fuel!
The dumb people WILL pay $75k for a $50-55k truck, or MORE all day long......
In dumbville, $75k only gets you an XLT. If you’re the head janitor and you gotta have the King Ranch, you get to tell the story about your $100k truck!

Why do you think the used prices are so jacked on trucks? Partly becisse they’re popular and the economy is good, but a good part of it is all folks who spend waaay more than they should and then when the fuel bills start eating a hole in their wallet, they have to sell it either for too much money or upside down.

* This post was edited 02/22/19 10:07am by Grit dog *

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kirkl wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

They all bite us eventually. My Ram got me twice in the last 6 months. Turbo went bad in October ($3,000 variable fin type of course) and I just got hit with the dreaded Dodge death wobble last week. Thankfully I wasn't towing. $2,000 going into front end parts on Monday.

Still cheaper than a $75,000 replacement truck.

I agree with your premise, but the bit about the $75,000 replacement truck feels like a stretch to make yourself feel better. You can get a modestly optioned gas truck for well under $40k in a 4wd/crew cab cab configuration, or a bit over $40k if you want diesel. You can check a bunch more boxes and work up to $75,000 but that's certainly not the entry point.

I don't see me going to a tradesman level with no A/C and very few other amenities. And it has to be suitable for the fifth-wheel I currently have and would be looking ahead to the next one I would need.

Lol, you must not have researched tradesmans before. I paid 43k for my new tradesman diesel long bed 4x4. Power windows, XM radio, Cruise, backup camera, exhaust brake and heck they even threw in heat and AC for me [emoticon]

Most Tradesman trucks, at least in the popular crew cab 4wd configuration, come with all the basic SLT options. They aren't loaded by any means but they're not the basic work trucks many expect. Add to your list - bluetooth/hands free calling, IBC, auto headlamps, keyless, limited slip diff, spray in bed liner...even a heater. The only interior part that feels cheap to me are the door panels but that's a minor thing. The chrome hubcaps over steel wheels look tacky too but that's a cheap fix with factory takeoffs from Craigslist or aftermarket wheels.

Mine was a bit over $39k before tax and title but that was back in 2015 and they've gone up a little.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the downside to an older vehicle. Even one with low miles. Mechanically sound but the electrical and other problems can pop up. And diagnosing electrical problems on more modern vehicles can be a challenge.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

over the last few years I've dumped some serious money into my 1998 Ford van with only 120k miles on it. Entire air conditioning system rebuild ($2400 for front and rear), rebuilt rear pumpkin and U-joints ($5000), front suspension rebuilt ($1000) plugs and coils (preventive, but expensive!), and other misc stuff. All on a van that books at around $2k I'd guess lol. But it's my schlep truck and I love it. Cheap to register and insure, and I only drive it a few thousand miles a year at this point.

Nothing electrical yet though. At the point when electrical gremlins start popping up, that's when I'll consider replacement. I don't mind fixing mechanical failures, but electrical can just be so darn frustrating. And in my experience once they start, it's all downhill from there...

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My F250 finally bit me in the bu##
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS