Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My F250 finally bit me in the bu##
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My F250 finally bit me in the bu##

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 15 years and only 85,000 miles my F250 hit me in the wallet this week.
All the dash gauges, radio, door locks and window buttons would just stop working. It is an intermitted problem, sometimes while driving or at start-up. My local general mechanic ran the diagnostic test, checked all fuses and relays. Decided it was a short somewhere and he did not want to tackle the job. Bit the bullet and took it to Ford dealer Service Dept. After a day and a half of checking and researching, they decided the circuit board on the cluster panel was bad. Ordered a new board, should be here in about four days, another day to install and program, total of about $1000 dollars. Can't complain, the truck has served me well and other than regular maintenance it has cost me zero to own. This is a 2004 F250, XLT crew cab, with the V10 gasser.

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

would a cluster panel from a junkyard not work?

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They all bite us eventually. My Ram got me twice in the last 6 months. Turbo went bad in October ($3,000 variable fin type of course) and I just got hit with the dreaded Dodge death wobble last week. Thankfully I wasn't towing. $2,000 going into front end parts on Monday.

Still cheaper than a $75,000 replacement truck.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

They all bite us eventually. My Ram got me twice in the last 6 months. Turbo went bad in October ($3,000 variable fin type of course) and I just got hit with the dreaded Dodge death wobble last week. Thankfully I wasn't towing. $2,000 going into front end parts on Monday.

I agree with your premise, but the bit about the $75,000 replacement truck feels like a stretch to make yourself feel better. You can get a modestly optioned gas truck for well under $40k in a 4wd/crew cab cab configuration, or a bit over $40k if you want diesel. You can check a bunch more boxes and work up to $75,000 but that's certainly not the entry point.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Did you replace it with another VGT or go with the less expansive and more reliable fixed geometry unit? I am guess you went back to a VGT since it cost you $3k and a standard fixed geometry with a the new manifold and all hardware to install will generally cost half that.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on what you do with the pickup, repairing an older pickup or upgrading to newer can go either way. The increase in technology makes it easier for me. While my 3500 LBZ is a great motor, the newer pickups tow soo much better, not just power but brakes, vastly superior engine braking (I have my LBZ programmed to engine brake, but it pales to the latest gen HD's) and the newer suspensions are much better at max GVW. While the money spent is borderline ridiculous, you get an incredibly capable towing vehicle for your investment. Whether you tow enough or heavy enough to appreciate it, that is another issue. However I have look at it like an investment, the better the tech the better the towing and safety factor is.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

I agree with your premise, but the bit about the $75,000 replacement truck feels like a stretch to make yourself feel better. You can get a modestly optioned gas truck for well under $40k in a 4wd/crew cab cab configuration, or a bit over $40k if you want diesel. You can check a bunch more boxes and work up to $75,000 but that's certainly not the entry point.

I don't see me going to a tradesman level with no A/C and very few other amenities. And it has to be suitable for the fifth-wheel I currently have and would be looking ahead to the next one I would need.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

Did you replace it with another VGT or go with the less expansive and more reliable fixed geometry unit? I am guess you went back to a VGT since it cost you $3k and a standard fixed geometry with a the new manifold and all hardware to install will generally cost half that.

I did go with the VGT. I like the exhaust brake. I compared the fixed with an add on exhaust brake to the VGT and they come out very close in price. I wanted to do some deletes but that happened just as Bullydog was getting fined and stopped selling the tuners that supported deletes.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAM's can be had for 10-11.5K off the sticker price. You just have to do the leg work and maybe fly to Boise, Id or Kernersville, NC, or and few others around the country. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one wekaness in my Ford is the electronics. They perfected diesel technology. They have beefed up their transimissions. The brakes are really good. The suspension is acceptable and lasts a long time.

After 170 k miles, swithches, lights on the dash and some other things just don't work right. They are hard to fix.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> My F250 finally bit me in the bu##
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS