Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My F250 finally bit me in the bu##
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > My F250 finally bit me in the bu##

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/28/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not complaining at all. I am resigned to the fact that the older it gets the more money I will have to part with. At 69 years old, and no trailer to tow anymore, the truck is just a grocery getter and road trip unit. I have no desires for a new unit so if the truck lasts me til I can no longer drive, I am okay with that. BTW, dealer had a 2019 F150 KR, CC, 4X4 in the showroom. Sticker totaled right at $65,000, I have no desire to go into debt for that much at my age and on the old "fixed income" we are enjoying. I would rather spend money having fun.....


Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/19/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny thing about vehicles is that things can go wrong from lack of use as well as too much use. Is there a perfect amount of use? Lol! All we can hope for is that when something goes wrong we aren't out on the open road somewhere.


Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker


shum02

Burlington ON CDA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/22/2005

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redcatcher70 wrote:

After 15 years and only 85,000 miles my F250 hit me in the wallet this week.
All the dash gauges, radio, door locks and window buttons would just stop working. It is an intermitted problem, sometimes while driving or at start-up. My local general mechanic ran the diagnostic test, checked all fuses and relays. Decided it was a short somewhere and he did not want to tackle the job. Bit the bullet and took it to Ford dealer Service Dept. After a day and a half of checking and researching, they decided the circuit board on the cluster panel was bad. Ordered a new board, should be here in about four days, another day to install and program, total of about $1000 dollars. Can't complain, the truck has served me well and other than regular maintenance it has cost me zero to own. This is a 2004 F250, XLT crew cab, with the V10 gasser.


Not to rain to much on this but it's not uncommon in Fords and just about any other OEM to have cluster issues. Had this happen to my truck. Found a local guy to do it for $100 cash here in the Toronto area. Dash Medics is another online company that does it as well. Removing and installing the cluster takes about 15 minutes and the only tools required are your fingers.


2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman


troubledwaters

Potomac

Senior Member

Joined: 02/17/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

...Take your moderately equipped diesel truck that “we” say can be had for $50k. Round numbers. Obviously that’s $10k or more off the sticker...
Good luck getting $10K off the sticker on a $50K truck. You ain't been shopping for a while. Even A-plan is not $10K off the sticker.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not for nothing.... I just picked up my 2019 F-150 Platinum..sticker was $69,610.00.. Paid $59,998.00.. Its my work truck [emoticon]


Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet


IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

...Take your moderately equipped diesel truck that “we” say can be had for $50k. Round numbers. Obviously that’s $10k or more off the sticker...
Good luck getting $10K off the sticker on a $50K truck. You ain't been shopping for a while. Even A-plan is not $10K off the sticker.


You aren't doing it right.


2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB


riven1950

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Good luck getting $10K off the sticker on a $50K truck. You ain't been shopping for a while. Even A-plan is not $10K off the sticker.


Just did it in November. You just have to work at it a bit. Had to go to Charlotte and not deal with the local Dealer who is not a " Dealer ". It is a 2018, not 2019 but that's ok, only 9 miles on it when I picked it up, and actually a little more then 10k off.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

troubledwaters wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

...Take your moderately equipped diesel truck that “we” say can be had for $50k. Round numbers. Obviously that’s $10k or more off the sticker...
Good luck getting $10K off the sticker on a $50K truck. You ain't been shopping for a while. Even A-plan is not $10K off the sticker.


You aren't doing it right.


Lol, right?
What did I say about the ones that overpay?


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

Redcatcher70 wrote:

After 15 years and only 85,000 miles my F250 hit me in the wallet this week.
All the dash gauges, radio, door locks and window buttons would just stop working. It is an intermitted problem, sometimes while driving or at start-up. My local general mechanic ran the diagnostic test, checked all fuses and relays. Decided it was a short somewhere and he did not want to tackle the job. Bit the bullet and took it to Ford dealer Service Dept. After a day and a half of checking and researching, they decided the circuit board on the cluster panel was bad. Ordered a new board, should be here in about four days, another day to install and program, total of about $1000 dollars. Can't complain, the truck has served me well and other than regular maintenance it has cost me zero to own. This is a 2004 F250, XLT crew cab, with the V10 gasser.


Not to rain to much on this but it's not uncommon in Fords and just about any other OEM to have cluster issues. Had this happen to my truck. Found a local guy to do it for $100 cash here in the Toronto area. Dash Medics is another online company that does it as well. Removing and installing the cluster takes about 15 minutes and the only tools required are your fingers.


When I took my cluster apart to replace the odometer gears and paint the needles bright orange on my old Dodge I found 2 fractured solder points on the circuit board. Hit them with the solder gun before putting it all back together and works perfectly.


1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.


Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/22/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:


I agree with your premise, but the bit about the $75,000 replacement truck feels like a stretch to make yourself feel better. You can get a modestly optioned gas truck for well under $40k in a 4wd/crew cab cab configuration, or a bit over $40k if you want diesel. You can check a bunch more boxes and work up to $75,000 but that's certainly not the entry point.

75K was exactly where my F350 Lariat Super Duty CCLB 6.7 power stroke 4X4FX booked new. Price that in a 2019.


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > My F250 finally bit me in the bu##
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS