cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle gps tracker for insurance

gyjl2019
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any suggestions on a vehicle gps tracker suitable for a Class A motorhome. My insurance company says you must have one to receive a discount.
21 REPLIES 21

WinnieTheBagel
Explorer
Explorer
dalsn1 wrote:
The RV Pet Safety module has a tracker built in. Doesn't require WIFI and service is about $100.00 a year.

Anyone have recommendations from Amazon?

dalsn1
Explorer
Explorer
The RV Pet Safety module has a tracker built in. Doesn't require WIFI and service is about $100.00 a year.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
This technology has become incredibly affordable compared to a few years ago so there should be something out there. A friend who is a PI has magnetic ones he slaps on cars to track cheating spouses, etc. for his clients. I believe there is a small monitoring fee and the initial purchase price is a few hundred dollars. His comes with all kinds of cool options like setting up boundaries for notification, certain addresses to get notified and so on. Probably more than OP needs but just an indication of what's available. Also, you dishonest folks out there better beware.... you never know who is watching ๐Ÿ™‚

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
My dash cam has a built in GPS tracker. You do have to download the data via either bluetooth or wifi. It does not cost any extra, i.e., no monthly charge.
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty five years ago, if you had more than one vehicle, you would pay a premium on one vehicle, then the additional vehicle was only another 30 dollars. Reason being you can only drive one at a time. If you have six vehicles like me, they want six full premiums. The wife has her car, and I have mine, and the other 4 including the rig do a lot of sitting. I got a flyer in the mail from Metromile.com. It's pay per mile car insurance. You pay a flat $29 dollars for each vehicle, then it 6 cents per mile. I haven't tried it yet but it has the potential to save hundreds. They claim an average savings of $611 per year. This kind of program is long overdue. I'm gonna give it a try.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't there an ONSTAR system available for RV's now that can be added to existing coaches?

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
How much if an insurance discount does one get for having a tracker installed? Get a LO JAc. When I wore a badge we had some of the cars equipped with LO JAC equipment.

Yes, but... when I had Lojack installed on my RV in 2006 I had apparently already maxed out the possible discounts for my AAA auto/RV insurance and so got no additional discounts for the Lojack.

Lojack was a flat fee for installation in 2006, plus a fee every year or so for them to come out and check that the Lojack battery is OK. I got the plan which activates a search when you report the vehicle missing. There was another plan which would message me every time the vehicle moved.

Around here (Southern California) the highway patrol vehicles are all equipped to do Lojack searches.

Current Lojack info: https://www.lojack.com/
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
96Bounder30E wrote:
I took an old unused smartphone and put the life360 app on it and stuck it in the back pocket of the front seat plugged into a charger cord.... I can see where my vehicle is all the time...

Don't you still have to have a data plan for that phone?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

96Bounder30E
Explorer
Explorer
I took an old unused smartphone and put the life360 app on it and stuck it in the back pocket of the front seat plugged into a charger cord.... I can see where my vehicle is all the time...
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
campinginthewoods wrote:
Jay Pat wrote:
I have the Viper alarm with GPS tracking and remote start and I think there is a kill switch (I should learn more about this).
Works on my smart phone.
Cheesy sounding alarm....
I don't know about hooking up in a motorhome.
Pat

I have a aftermarket remote start on my truck and there's a hidden switch to disable the remote start. If you want pm me and I'll tell you where to possibly look to find the switch

Thanks for the offer.
Let me think about it.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
How much if an insurance discount does one get for having a tracker installed? Get a LO JAc. When I wore a badge we had some of the cars equipped with LO JAC equipment.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
I have the Viper alarm with GPS tracking and remote start and I think there is a kill switch (I should learn more about this).
Works on my smart phone.
Pat

I have a aftermarket remote start on my truck and there's a hidden switch to disable the remote start. If you want pm me and I'll tell you where to possibly look to find the switch
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Works on my smart phone.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Planck has one with no monthly fee. It doesn't track. But if you tell them it's gone they can find it.