cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-40 west of asheville closed

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Rockslides has closed I-40 in both directions for a week in Haywood County NC at mile markers 7.5 and 20 near the TN/NC border. Check your travel plans and reroute accordingly. Rain has the ground saturated and rockslides are happening all over the place.

441 through over the mountain is closed at this point too but it says till 3pm. New Found Gap road has been closed off and on all week long. Check before you try to take this way
19 REPLIES 19

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
We survived our trip to Maggie Valley with no problem. We were delayed about 15 minutes going east Friday about 3:00, and about 5 minutes going west Wednesday about 9:00. It may be worse on other days or different times.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Still one lane in both directions. All traffic was shifted to the eastbound lanes so it could be slow at times. Are you towing a trailer and could you possible go through New Found Gap in the park? Its a task for an experienced mountain driver to tow over the gap so err on the side of caution.

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any changes in the status of I-40? We have to travel from Knoxville to Maggie Valley soon (and back), and wonder if we need to expect a long delay.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
NC DOT had a news conference today at noon. They will be opening 1 lane each direction as of 2PM today. Best estimate as of today is that 2 lanes in each direction will resume the 1st week of April.
CarriGo
Model 2320

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Probably some spectacular waterfalls now though. NC is home to hundreds of waterfalls.

https://www.wncwaterfalls.info/

Charles

I live about 1 1/2 hrs away and you are right, there has been so much rain and flooding, but most of the pictures of waterfalls I've been seeing on our local news, the water is usually pretty muddy, but abundant
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Probably some spectacular waterfalls now though. NC is home to hundreds of waterfalls.

https://www.wncwaterfalls.info/

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
What they clean up this week might not hold. The ground is saturated and rock slides are continuing to occur. Not necessarily on I-40 but the potential is there for more slides anywhere along the roads, including the road itself giving way. This is a very serious situation here and people need to heed the warnings. 4 more days of rain are predicted starting on Thursday. The ground can't hold much more water.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
I just read that I40 will be closed for 8 weeks.

Entire road closed for about 1 week while they do the initial cleanup and put the concrete dividers in place. They will also erect temp protection along the middle divider. Once this is coplete, then they will be able to open 1 lane in both directions. This will be in place for about 8 weeks (initial estimate) while they stabilize the area. Since all this was small size debris, the estimate is probably pretty close. However, one time they estimated 8 weeks and it took them 6 months before they had both lanes in both directions open.

I'm going through the area in about a week in a TC and think I'm just going to take the longer but easier route of I26 to I40 though I know a dozen ways across the mountains between I26 all the way down to Tail of the Dragon (Hwy 129).

You may know many ways across the mountains, but in the area, there are a long list of roads that are closed because of landslides. It's not just I-40, which has a long history of slides. I-26 to I-40 is open with no problems....at the moment. We are expecting more rain this coming week and then some freezing temps.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer

Entire road closed for about 1 week while they do the initial cleanup and put the concrete dividers in place. They will also erect temp protection along the middle divider. Once this is coplete, then they will be able to open 1 lane in both directions. This will be in place for about 8 weeks (initial estimate) while they stabilize the area. Since all this was small size debris, the estimate is probably pretty close. However, one time they estimated 8 weeks and it took them 6 months before they had both lanes in both directions open.

I'm going through the area in about a week in a TC and think I'm just going to take the longer but easier route of I26 to I40 though I know a dozen ways across the mountains between I26 all the way down to Tail of the Dragon (Hwy 129).
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Not surprised. Things are so saturated here that it will be weeks before they know what has been undermined and is unstable. Keep an eye on the DOT sites for info.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The Pigeon River gorge is a very pretty drive. I remember years back a mother and her young son were killed by a bolder falling onto the roadway and crushed the car. Tragic.

441 over the mtn is still close today, 2/24, too till 8pm it says.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't there a rockslide that closed it before like within past 5 years or so?

There have been a number of closings since it opened. The design engineers fought the route as they knew of some of the challenges to begin with but the politicians won. Only during the consruction did the engineers realize it was much worse than they thought and have had to come up with new ways to stabilize the ground. If the engineers knew then what they know now, they would have refused to allow the road to go through the area as too risky, not maintainable.

It was the number of rock slides in the gorge that made the extension of I26 to I40 a much higher priority so there is a "reasonable" alternate interstate route when they have to close it.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Wasn't there a rockslide that closed it before like within past 5 years or so?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"