cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C Privacy Curtain??

summerbreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I just bought a class C Forest River Sunseeker 25ft. So much to learn, so much to do taking it one step at a time. Super excited. Searching the internet, called camping world and still stumped on where to buy a privacy curtain that wraps around inside the front of the cab. The only solution I have found which is probably pretty pricey is buying the fabric and sewing it but I don't sew so even more pricey. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I used one of the vinyl covers on the outside while stored at home; it kept the windshield clean between trips. While camping, I had a similar shaped one that fit on the inside instead; attached with snaps. That way, I could pull part down and look out when I wanted without going outside. The outside one I purchased; the inside one came with the RV when I bought it (this was some years ago, so...)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased a vinyl one that wraps around the windshield and covers the side windows as well from a company in Ypsilanti Michigan.

The magnets are very strong however I noticed they will scratch when removing them from the door or if the wind moves them around a bit even though they are inside the material.They collect fine metal dust particles from who knows where.

I carry a wide blue tape and put it on the door panels where the magnets go and it took care of that. Takes an extra minute.

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the link for the cover we have. Bought it from Camping World right after we got our Class C and love it especially when we are parked for several days. You can see out and even lower the side windows for air flow. Only issue is at night when we are inside with the lights on passerby's can see in. Solved that by placing a lamp on the dog house which blocks the view while giving us light. Works great.

https://www.campingworld.com/deluxe-windshield-cover-with-mirror-cut-outs-ford-1996-and-up
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

Belting_1313
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my class C it did not have a good curtain so I made one. Went to Micheal's fabrics and bought a color matching heavy fabric and also a 1/4" foam sheet to line the inside for insulation purposes. I then glued the foam to the back of the material and sewed a hem all the way around the perimeter and added Velcro to attache around the drivers compartment. As a full timer I was looking for good coverage and insulating abilities it works great. FYI I had never sewed anything before I just took my time and used a sewing machine that I borrowed.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
We have been using both the inside the windshield reflective sunscreen and the hanging curtain behind the front seats of our 24' C for the last 5+ years. I think before this summer arrives I will invest in an outside cover for the cab/windshield.

Here in Arizona keeping the heat out is a higher priority {most of the year} than keeping the heat in.

:C
I surely agree that a full covering outside cover is most effective for hot summer conditions. One that wraps around to include the side windows seems ideal. For extreme heat, the mission is preventing heat build-up on the inside of the glass.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been using both the inside the windshield reflective sunscreen and the hanging curtain behind the front seats of our 24' C for the last 5+ years. I think before this summer arrives I will invest in an outside cover for the cab/windshield.

Here in Arizona keeping the heat out is a higher priority {most of the year} than keeping the heat in.

:C

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the inside reflective window shades -- there are sets available for all cabs and they block everything while still leaving you all the space.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the inside curtain rather than an outside windshield cover. You can move the inside one to see out front early morning without having to go outside.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksg5000 wrote:
I just use an outside windshield cover - they wrap around entire front windshield (driver/passenger included) and provide total privacy. Available at most RV parts outlet stores.
X-2, I was using the inside curtain that came with my MH, the day I installed the windshield cover, the cab temp dropped by 25 degrees. If we are only stopping overnight, we do use the curtain.
IIRC, I paid $50 +/- for the cover.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
My SS came with a matching lightweight front curtain that uses Velcro tabs to hold it in place so you use the seating (cab area) as cabin space. See if you have Velcro tabs screwed in place in the cab area.
I found my curtain under the dinette but it could be anywhere including the dealerships storeroom or if it's a used MH, the previous owners house.

If all else fails,
Buy a twin size sheet and have a tailor trim it and Velcro strip it.
I did that on a previous unit and the tailor charged me $12.00. It was perfect.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi summerbreeze,

We have a privacy curtain supplied by our RV manufacture, but most often use pop-open sun shades bought from Walmart. They offer these nice benefits.

- extremely affordable
- offer great privacy
- good heat protection
- easy to setup and take down
- store nicely in the driver or passenger backrest pocket
- keeps the entire cab area accessible to the house

You can read more about it by CLICKING HERE

In cold conditions we block the cold of the cab area from the house by draping a quilt across the two front seats and tuck it around the sides and bottom. It does a great job of eliminating the worst of the low-lying cold.

Our RV-supplied privacy curtain works for privacy to the house. It helps only a little with heat and no help at all with cold.

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a movers blanket at Harbor Freight. Put gromlets on one side.
Used those stick up type hooks across the cab over spaced to fit the gromlets. It keeps out the heat in the cab, especially when the cab faces the sun. Keeps in the A/C in the body of the coach. In cooler or colder weather keeps in the heat in the body of the coach.
Jim Hunter

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksg5000 wrote:
I just use an outside windshield cover - they wrap around entire front windshield (driver/passenger included) and provide total privacy. Available at most RV parts outlet stores.

That's what we do in our Class C. They cover the front windshield and side windows, last for years, and don't cost much.

These covers provide three functions:

- Insulate the cab area better to keep it cooler in hot weather.
- Insulate the cab area better to keep it warmer in cold weather.
- Provide visual privacy between the RV interior and the front cab windows.

Our Class C also came stock with an interior matching snap-on curtain to block off the inside of the cab from the coach living area. In cold weather we use both the outside cab window cover and the interior curtain to absolutely minimize heat loss from the coach to the cab to the outside.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C