Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Brakes AGAIN !
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Brakes AGAIN !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never saw or realized the Super duty brake caliper issues. Granted, the trucks I/ the company had were all 5yrs old or newer, but Had a contractor working for us that was running a huge fleet of old 6.0s that were 10 years old, in the Arctic and didn't see those issues. No road salt up there though. We wanted the roads to freeze! Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/19 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 94 ford explorer and got 320k miles on it.
Best vehicle I ever owned. Dont remember ever changing calipers! Lol

I am wondering if its not a ford problem but a remanufacturer problem?

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the parking brake for a sticking cable?

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TakingThe5th

Chicago - Western Suburbs

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco wrote:

I'm not the OP, but I've checked the parking brake on my truck and it's OK, but this has also happened with the front calipers. I've also had this problem since the truck was new and all of those calipers have seized and been replaced so I haven't seen where it is a remanufacturing problem. But it does make me wonder if there was a supplier who made a bad caliper since some have the problem and some people don't.

TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I had a phone conversation with an engineer at Centric.

He focused on two things.

First was the rubber seal that seals the piston and piston bore (cylinder). He said with new calipers, the surface where the seal goes is almost mirror finish. On remanufuactured units, the surface gets sand blasted. So with the sandblasted surface that the rubber seal sits against, moisture/rust can creep in there easily. So in many returned cores, he sees alot of corrosion in that area causing sticking pistons.

His recommendation? When you receive the new remanufactured caliper, get a syringe and squirt a bunch of dielectric grease (superlube for example) under the seal and into that area. He also said you might even just take some silicone caulk and put that over the outside of the seal(although he hasnt tried this, but it just popped into his head at the moment). Doing this will help prevent moisture entry.

He also said that they offer a zinc plated and painted caliper. He says some of the plating goes into the bore a little bit. So if you order the plated version from Centric, this also will resist the rust effect.

The second observation.
He says that when you get uneven pad wear, one piston is out further than the other. But, both the back of the pad and the head of each piston is flat. So smashing these together makes the phenolic piston crook inside the bore. So when the piston crooks or cants or twists sideways inside the bore, it gets bite marks on it, material might get scraped off of the piston. Bad things.

I did confirm with him that they replace all pistons with new.

I still am in search of the Centric warranty on these units if anyone knows.

groundhogy

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thought of mine...
So, say you have a 2003 F-250. Its getting older.
Say the brake caliper design is prone to sticking and gets replaced alot.

So now imagine you are the caliper. Say you were born in 2003. How many times have you cycled onto a truck and into a reman factory?

How manytimes has your little mirror finish surface been sand blasted?
How flat or how wavy is that surface now? lol.

And is there any other surfaces on the caliper that will degrade with many sand blastings?

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

So, I had a phone conversation with an engineer at Centric.

He focused on two things.

First was the rubber seal that seals the piston and piston bore (cylinder). He said with new calipers, the surface where the seal goes is almost mirror finish. On remanufuactured units, the surface gets sand blasted. So with the sandblasted surface that the rubber seal sits against, moisture/rust can creep in there easily. So in many returned cores, he sees alot of corrosion in that area causing sticking pistons.

His recommendation? When you receive the new remanufactured caliper, get a syringe and squirt a bunch of dielectric grease (superlube for example) under the seal and into that area. He also said you might even just take some silicone caulk and put that over the outside of the seal(although he hasnt tried this, but it just popped into his head at the moment). Doing this will help prevent moisture entry.

He also said that they offer a zinc plated and painted caliper. He says some of the plating goes into the bore a little bit. So if you order the plated version from Centric, this also will resist the rust effect.

The second observation.
He says that when you get uneven pad wear, one piston is out further than the other. But, both the back of the pad and the head of each piston is flat. So smashing these together makes the phenolic piston crook inside the bore. So when the piston crooks or cants or twists sideways inside the bore, it gets bite marks on it, material might get scraped off of the piston. Bad things.

I did confirm with him that they replace all pistons with new.

I still am in search of the Centric warranty on these units if anyone knows.

IMO - be careful with the information given by this person.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Brakes AGAIN !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.