cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyhauler in my future? Rec's Needed

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Been Rving for 20 years. Owned....Class A and C, TT, 5er. Never owned a tent trailer and it is not in my future.

Wife and I are in our 50s and we have one DS (19) in college and one DS (14) who has Autism and will camp with us wherever we go.

DW likes to camp in an RV but does not like to rough it!

We just sold an Outdoors RV Timber Ridge (TT) that was very nice...but just too long (35' overall) to comfortably fit in parks we like to visit.

Thought of an overhead camper or a hybrid, but DW does not like either of these.

So... that brings me to a possible small TH.

Why?

It provides the option to bring bicycles, raft/outboard motor for fishing, golf cart, etc. I don't currently own a raft or golf cart, but I am an avid fisherman with a boat but will/can not tow doubles, hence the option to take a raft.

I don't know exactly what I want....but I want options and not have to purchase various RVs to camp and do what we want.

What small USED TH will meet my needs? Budget: up to $10K.

It would be nice to have a built-in genny, but portable genny is not a deal breaker, especially as smaller TH do not appear to have built-in gennys.

Would like to keep overall length to 26'.

Thanks
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
16 REPLIES 16

Y-Guy
Good deal, I just recall the early ones were 96" and it was a limiting factor, glad they changed.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is 102" wide. It is a very nice unit and I like it....but at $14K it is a few thousand above NADA value.

Also, at a listed 7800# dry (perhaps heavier at a CAT scale), I'm not sure I want to trailer around at approx. 10K# wet(gear, bicycles, water, propane, etc)?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Y-Guy
One minor thing to check is the Tahoe is probably a 102" wide trailer while the Puma I think was a 96" wide trailer. So depending on what you are loading this can make a difference.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Baja Man wrote:
Here's the link to the Puma I found.....

2016 Puma 21TFU

I also found this one.....according to current owner (second owner): never used for toy hauling....only trips to beach. Orig owners purchased and never used....everything was till in plastic when current owner purchased. 146 hours on genny.

overall length is 32'....a little concerned about this as I just had a 35' overall length TT and thought it was a little too long.

2009 Tahoe 284SA

Thoughts?

I don't see how the PUMA can be 32' if the box is only 21' Usually add about 3' for tongue. model numbers don't refer to actual length.

The Tahoe is 32' overall...Puma only 24'
Equal-i-zer 10K

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Baja Man wrote:

2016 Puma 21TFU

I also found this one.....according to current owner (second owner): never used for toy hauling....only trips to beach. Orig owners purchased and never used....everything was till in plastic when current owner purchased. 146 hours on genny.

overall length is 32'....a little concerned about this as I just had a 35' overall length TT and thought it was a little too long.

2009 Tahoe 284SA

Thoughts?

I don't see how the PUMA can be 32' if the box is only 21' Usually add about 3' for tongue. model numbers don't refer to actual length.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
....still debating between a TT and TH???
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Puma 21TFU

2009 Tahoe 284SA

Thoughts?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
Toyhaulers are versatile.
21’ will probably not have a front bed but 2 elec queens in the rear with 2 more beds on the dinette and sofa.
I had an 07 Ragen 21FB (front bath) and loved it. Very heavy duty and well built, 5500 gen 150 gal fresh water and 58/58 grey and black. 12,500 lb GVW.
I think they were built much better than anything that you can buy new.
Has a large front bath.
Only downside was minimal outside storage and restrictions on lowering the rear beds depending on what you were carrying in the cargo area
A 24’ can give you a side bed in the front with a smaller bath.
I see you’re in So Cal. There is a 21FB in Simi Valley in your price range that’s listed on RV Trader

I called on that 21 Ragen in Simi Valley the day you posted....it was pending a sale. He had a deposit. It was picked up and purchased a week later. It was exactly what I am looking for! This model doesn't appear to come up for sale often.

Thanks for the tip/reference!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Found a 2016 Puma 21F. It has 2 queen electric beds, couches across from each other, and a table in between. Orig. owner.
$15K
Equal-i-zer 10K

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be a front bedroom, with an exit path off the bed. Crawling over the DW to use the bathroom gets old fast.

If you like to watch TV/Movies in the camper, finding something with a comfortable seating for relaxing and seeing the TV is a challenge in this size. If your not hauling big toys you might be able to put in a comfy sofa or chairs to relax in.

As for WW, I've always steered clear of them, they might be OK, just never wanted to chance it.

Our first TH was a Forest River T21SP, paid 14k new back in 05. Took it all kinds of places we never should have and never had a single problem (including the china bomb carlisles). Don't be afraid to offer 10k or less for something in this age range, they weren't that expensive to buy in the mid 2000's.

CA, UT, and AZ seem to have the best used prices out west.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as your wife is ok with the more spartan furnishings of a toyhauler, especially the smaller ones that reserve half their space or more for the garage, then I think it's the perfect compromise of having a full featured camper and the ability to easily pack some toys along for the ride.
They are typically much heavier tongue weight than a comparable TT to allow for a good balance with heavy toys in the back, of which you will have relatively lightweight gear back there.
Since you have a 1 ton, the tongue weight will not be an issue for you at all. Will actually tow more stable than a TT, in general, with less tail wagging the dog.
Good luck in your search!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t worry about the bed falling, there are metal stops bolted to the track.
The older ones have the manual pull down with struts. PITA. Get the electric beds.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
Toyhaulers are versatile.
21’ will probably not have a front bed but 2 elec queens in the rear with 2 more beds on the dinette and sofa.
I had an 07 Ragen 21FB (front bath) and loved it. Very heavy duty and well built, 5500 gen 150 gal fresh water and 58/58 grey and black. 12,500 lb GVW.
I think they were built much better than anything that you can buy new.
Has a large front bath.
Only downside was minimal outside storage and restrictions on lowering the rear beds depending on what you were carrying in the cargo area
A 24’ can give you a side bed in the front with a smaller bath.
I see you’re in So Cal. There is a 21FB in Simi Valley in your price range that’s listed on RV Trader
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I read about issues with Weekend Warriors and a class action settlement. I see many for sale in the $10K-$15K range...most are 2004-2007 FS2300/FS2600 which are the sizes I am considering

Not sure on the bed or bath up front.....

Would like the double electric queen beds in rear....but.....
Have concerns about sleeping under a queen bunk (double electric bunks).....possible failure and falling on me or my kids!!!
Equal-i-zer 10K