Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Battery in key fob ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery in key fob ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pick up FOB from where you store it, place in your pocket.

Wife keeps hers in her purse. She can approach passenger side touch handle and is in without waiting for me.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

I have had a dead fob battery or near dead and the car does NOT start. Message, "keyless not detected" comes up. I just recently had to replace the batteries to both my fobs to the SUV.

There should be a procedure to start the car even with a dead FOB battery. In my wife's car, it's a matter of putting the remote in a specific 'slot' in the center console. Some car's have a hidden ignition switch under a cover, and a key inside the FOB you can use. Check the manual (or google) for your particular car, I bet there's a way to start it with a dead FOB battery.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Pick up FOB from where you store it, place in your pocket.

Wife keeps hers in her purse. She can approach passenger side touch handle and is in without waiting for me.
Why would she want to get in without a driver? What's the advantage in that? I mean you can come up with reasons why it's you think it's handy, but really they're just excuses for added/needless complexity. And they'll bite you in the butt if something goes "Oops". KISS. And what happens when you lose that fob? I can get a spare key cut for a couple bucks. What's a spare fob cost?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

mich800 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Another useless "feature" that makes me glad I don't have a vehicle that needs the fob.

Why, it was already demonstrated it does not impair your ability to use the vehicle.
Really?

"I have had a dead fob battery or near dead and the car does NOT start. Message, "keyless not detected" comes up. I just recently had to replace the batteries to both my fobs to the SUV."

Personally I fail to see the usefulness of the silly pushbutton/fob combination. Just one more thing to go wrong, and it adds nothing of real value.

My step-son has a bike with the fob, and he has started the bike then forgetfully put the fob down and rode away. He discovered it a hundred miles later when he filled up and couldn't start the bike since the fob was sitting in his garage back home. Handy, really handy.

You must have had some early adopter push button start technology. That is not how they work now. They are no more risky than forgetting your cut key in ignition format. No key no start, no fob no start. Batteries not included or batteries dead no problem.

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

mich800 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Another useless "feature" that makes me glad I don't have a vehicle that needs the fob.

Why, it was already demonstrated it does not impair your ability to use the vehicle.
Really?

"I have had a dead fob battery or near dead and the car does NOT start. Message, "keyless not detected" comes up. I just recently had to replace the batteries to both my fobs to the SUV."

Personally I fail to see the usefulness of the silly pushbutton/fob combination. Just one more thing to go wrong, and it adds nothing of real value.

My step-son has a bike with the fob, and he has started the bike then forgetfully put the fob down and rode away. He discovered it a hundred miles later when he filled up and couldn't start the bike since the fob was sitting in his garage back home. Handy, really handy.

I guess I'm glad you aren't in charge of making decisions on option availability on vehicles. I like not having to fish keys out when I have my hands full with other things.

I really like the keyless entry pad on the door of FoMoCo products.

I've never had a battery run down in a fob in the Ford, but in my Infiniti I got a warning message about a low battery, and replaced it before it became an issue. There is also a cubby to put the key in if the battery becomes too low to start it, both on the Infiniti and on the truck.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Why would she want to get in without a driver? What's the advantage in that? I mean you can come up with reasons why it's you think it's handy, but really they're just excuses for added/needless complexity. And they'll bite you in the butt if something goes "Oops". KISS. And what happens when you lose that fob? I can get a spare key cut for a couple bucks. What's a spare fob cost?

Bet you love your roll up windows too. [emoticon]

I'm with you, but it's a lost cause. Simplicity is a thing of the past, now it's all gadgets all the time. I'm keeping my daily driver 20 year old Nissan Frontier till it dies (which it probably never will). Roll up windows, manual locks, no ABS, no backup camera, and a $5 ignition key.

Biggest issue I have with the touch door entry and keyless start (wife's car) is that I keep getting out of the car to get the mail while I have the FOB in my pocket (car still on). It embarrassingly honks at me...

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do like electric windows, but I have had to work on several of them when they quit working. Have to admit that never happened with the roll-up windows. And I have gotten locked out of both vehicles when the keys and fob were left inside and the doors locked by themselves. Just got the spare keys, but could have been a real pain if it had happened somewhere out and about. Some things are likeable and not bad if they malfunction, but also unnecessary and mostly a marketing hook.

Some of these cars could be a real headache trying to get out of in case of an accident and the battery malfunctions. No electric door unlocks, no electric windows open. Yeah, it doesn't happen often, but it can. I still like KISS. But I like fuel injection too.

I just don't like complexity for its own sake. Like those wonderful touch screens you have to flip through to get to the radio controls. No thanks. Looks cool, but definitely not sensible.

I guess it's because I keep a vehicle for 15-20 years, and not trade them off before there are electronic issues. I can't imagine some of the problems there are going to be troubleshooting these vehicles when they hit 15-20 years old. My motorcycle is a 1999, one truck is a 2001, and one is a 2003. Our newest vehicle is a tossup between Peggy's 2014 scooter, and our 2013 sedan. None of them bought new, but don't owe a dime on any of them. That's their best feature.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She has plenty of reasons to get in the truck without me on the passenger side. Use your imagination.

FF286

SE Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Have always keep a key hidden on my truck as a backup. Once while riding atv’s My friend had a pretty bad accident, my truck keys were in a storage box on his Atv. In the accident the box was damaged and we were unable to open it. Luckily I had the spare so we could leave the area.
I want the remote start on my next truck probably more than any other option, but with so many trucks using the key fob is there any way to start the truck with a back up key.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FF286 wrote:

I Have always keep a key hidden on my truck as a backup. Once while riding atv’s My friend had a pretty bad accident, my truck keys were in a storage box on his Atv. In the accident the box was damaged and we were unable to open it. Luckily I had the spare so we could leave the area.
I want the remote start on my next truck probably more than any other option, but with so many trucks using the key fob is there any way to start the truck with a back up key.

I can start our truck with a Smart Phone app or the FOB. You still have to get in the truck with the fob and press start button, before you can drive it. The emergency key is in the fob. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery in key fob ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS