cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boston - Cape Cod area

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a two week trip plan for the Cape Cod area in May. We plan to stay at the Boston/Cape Cod KOA for 14 days. Reservations have already been made. We're looking for suggestions for things to do in the area. We usually move every 3 or 4 days when we do our trips. This year we decided to stay in one place and do several day trips. We plan to visit Rhode Island, Connecticut, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Boston. We're looking for suggestions of boat tours, scenic and historic sites within a couple of hours.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
42 REPLIES 42

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
DavidandDayle wrote:
gramps
even if they bill you, the US turnpikes are more reasonable than the 407.

I agree. I've never paid as high a toll as I have on the 407.

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
gramps
even if they bill you, the US turnpikes are more reasonable than the 407.
David and Dayle

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike. I plan to visit Mystic seaport. Iโ€™ll check out the Nautilus submarine.

Appreciate the tips.

Bob

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
For Connecticut, I am not a big fan of Mystic Aquarium. I think Boston Aquarium is much better - it has a big center tank that you walk around.

You might be interested in Gillete Castle state park ( https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325204&deepNav_GID=1650 } very cool to check out the "castle" and the surrounding grounds.

X2

hands down Boston aquarium has it all over Mystic aquarium, Mystic seaport though is well worth a visit. :C

If you're into submarines, check out the Nautilus submarine, I believe in groton ct, about 10 minutes drive from Mystic ct

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Correct. The ship will not be back in Plymouth until after Labor Day.

Tvov wrote:

The Pilgrims ship, Mayflower II, may not be there... I think it is still being rebuilt at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut... Speaking of which!!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Gillette Castle is closed when we're there but the grounds are open. I'll add your suggestions to our list.

Thanks very much.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
For Connecticut, I am not a big fan of Mystic Aquarium. I think Boston Aquarium is much better - it has a big center tank that you walk around.

You might be interested in Gillete Castle state park ( https://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325204&deepNav_GID=1650 } very cool to check out the "castle" and the surrounding grounds.

Not far away is Goodspeed Opera House - sometimes tours during the day are available, depending on their show schedule. Speaking of which, seeing a show there is great.

As to "Plimoth" Plantation (Pilgrims) in Massachusetts, that is neat to check out but... they do the "living history" thing there, where the actors pretend to be pilgrims while you try your best to get straight answers about the houses, living, and history. I am not a big fan of that type of thing, I find it annoying. When you check out Plymouth Rock, make sure to ask one of the Rangers there about it. They have a very good 10ish minutes talk about the Rock.

The Pilgrims ship, Mayflower II, may not be there... I think it is still being rebuilt at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut... Speaking of which!!

Instead of going to the Mystic Aquarium, you could check out Mystic Seaport. The Mayflower II might still be there undergoing major repairs / rebuilding, otherwise there is almost always one or more interesting sailing ships there to check out, along with the small "village".

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
DavidandDayle wrote:
Gramps: We drove in along the Mass Pike. They're supposed to have photo toll collection (like the 407) but we still haven't been billed.
We found the parking payment/fare payment machines at the subway stations erratic.

Thanks for the information. I took the 407 last year from the 400 to the QEW. It cost me over $100.00 one way. I hate tolls. I know theyโ€™re unavoidable going to Boston. With my luck Iโ€™ll get billed.

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Gramps: We drove in along the Mass Pike. They're supposed to have photo toll collection (like the 407) but we still haven't been billed.
We found the parking payment/fare payment machines at the subway stations erratic.
David and Dayle

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
If the commuter station is 2 miles from the KOA I may just take a cab. Then I wonโ€™t have to worry about parking. I have a fairly large vehicle.

Thanks for your replies.

Bob

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
During the week apparently it apparently fills up with commuters fairly early; I can't really say from personal experience one way or the other.

Absolutely, often by 7 a.m. They've also had to close parts of the garage to effect repairs because the garage is not in good shape. Weekends are generally not an issue unless a date coincides with a larger-than-normal event in the city.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I usually park at the Alewife station if I'm visiting Boston proper for the day. During the weekend parking there is never a problem. During the week apparently it apparently fills up with commuters fairly early; I can't really say from personal experience one way or the other. Getting to Alewife is straightforward: I-95 to MA2 inbound to the exit for Alewife Station. Payment is via kiosks accepting credit/debit cards or cash, no app needed.

Sounds perfect.
Thanks.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I usually park at the Alewife station if I'm visiting Boston proper for the day. During the weekend parking there is never a problem. During the week apparently it apparently fills up with commuters fairly early; I can't really say from personal experience one way or the other. Getting to Alewife is straightforward: I-95 to MA2 inbound to the exit for Alewife Station. Payment is via kiosks accepting credit/debit cards or cash, no app needed.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to use a phone app either. Hopefully I can figure out another way of paying.

Thanks for the post.