Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Considering New 5th Wheel Toyhauler-Concerns
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Considering New 5th Wheel Toyhauler-Concerns

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
merc1100sc

None Yet

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morning all. I am considering selling my current tag work and play and purchasing a new 5th wheel toy hauler.
My concern is the hitch (pin) weight.

The model that has caught my eye as far as the size I would like is a new Heartland Fuel 335. Size is good. Price is fair. Dry weight not bad. The pin weight has me concerned. Showing at 3,400 pounds.

My tow vehicle is a 2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Standard Box.

That pin weight puts my truck at max payload.
What do you guys think? Too much?

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From just a quick check, I'd say yes it's to much. GMC's website says Max payload of 3,276 lbs. looking a bit more it really depends on which model and features you have. 2WD vs 4WD I see range from 3,450 lbs to 3,158 lbs.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your dry pin is 3400# that is probably going to be 1000# more by the time you get loaded up.
Subtract the weight of people, hitch and "stuff" from your truck's payload sticker number and you will see how far over you will be.
You may well be north of 2000# over.

Can't recommend this combo.

Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not even close. 3/4 ton trucks are not good for 5th wheel trailering. They do not have enough payload for anything other than a very modest 5th wheel. You will probably need a DRW truck for that toy hauler, although a lighter (2wd, regular cab, etc.) 1 ton SRW might squeek by.

Let me tell you as a new 5th wheel toy hauler owner, you definitely don't want to be pushing it on capacity. My trailer weighs about 800 pounds more than the UVW published by the company that made it. They are HEAVY!

merc1100sc

None Yet

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kind of figured this would be the case. Time to look at different models I guess.
Bummer.

arhayes

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’re different since we full-time, but our rig listed pin was 3500# and we weigh in loaded at 4200#, and are within total weight. It takes a 1 ton dually For us.. Good luck.

Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't even consider a 5th wheel toy hauler for a 2500/F-250. They're too heavy. My Voltage has 3500 on the pin.

One other comment, we had one of our dually tires go flat while my wife was driving. I can only imagine how things would have turned out if we didn't have the dually.

You're asking for trouble hauling that beast with a 2500.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

merc1100sc

None Yet

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After some more research, I've downsized my search to a Cougar 326Srx if I can find one. Big enough for what we need and still not too heavy in total or on the pin. problem is finding one new/clean enough to purchase.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

merc1100sc wrote:

After some more research, I've downsized my search to a Cougar 326Srx if I can find one. Big enough for what we need and still not too heavy in total or on the pin. problem is finding one new/clean enough to purchase.

That will be a better fit. They are out there, but you may have to travel a ways to get one.

Good luck on your search,
Jerry

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

Not even close. 3/4 ton trucks are not good for 5th wheel trailering. They do not have enough payload for anything other than a very modest 5th wheel. You will probably need a DRW truck for that toy hauler, although a lighter (2wd, regular cab, etc.) 1 ton SRW might squeek by.

Let me tell you as a new 5th wheel toy hauler owner, you definitely don't want to be pushing it on capacity. My trailer weighs about 800 pounds more than the UVW published by the company that made it. They are HEAVY!

Not even close to correct. There are NUMEROUS fifth wheel trailers and toy haulers that can be towed by single wheel 3/4 ton trucks. Just check payload capacity of your TV and pin weight both loaded and unloaded. Remember Toy Haulers' pin weights tend to go DOWN when loaded.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Considering New 5th Wheel Toyhauler-Concerns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.