cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sliding Hitch

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Who has a 6 1/2 ft bed and doesn’t use a sliding hitch? I’ve had two RV dealers and the company that makes the 5th wheel we are interested in tell me I don’t need a sliding hitch with a standard 6 1/2 ft bed. But when I go to Curt’s website (the maker of the hitch) they tell me I do need a sliding hitch. (Plus I emailed them) Who do I believe? I’ve read some other posts where people say they have one but never use it. Thanks for the help.
31 REPLIES 31

LERD
Explorer
Explorer
The pullrite is very automatic. It uses a gearing system that pushes the actual 5th wheel hitch backwards as soon as the head starts to turn. I have to use a strap to hold it in place when I'm not towing, or else you hear it it sliding back and forth. Once you get the hang of it, it's very slick to use. The engage lever locks into place and it makes a very loud noise when it engages, and the handle pulls out full when disconnected. It is very susceptible to pin binding, so chocks and your parking brake are in order. However, I have an older 5th wheel that I tow with a f-150 with the 5.5 ft bed, so this hitch is a must. The front corners of the trailer do not have the rounded corners, so I can get close to 90 degrees but not quite. But when I look at what it does to the suspension of my trailer with that kind angle, I don't care.

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
As stated previously I have a pull rite auto slide, and am glad I have it. As far as paint on the hitch, spray some W-D40 on the way tubes prior to pulling the trailer. That's about it for daily use. Every year mine comes out of the truck for storage. Everything is cleaned and lubed at this time. Yes there are wear marks on the way tubes from use, but in 5 years there is no rust. Piece of mind, and one less thing to be concerned with, it's all well worth it to me. Oh yeah, being automatic does mean you do NOT get out of the truck to activate it, it's automatic.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
LaundroKing wrote:
Thanks Bionic Man for the link.

I visited the PullRite web site and looked at the owners manual to see what kind of mechanical things are going on to get this to work. Well... there are a lot. As promising as this looks, the maintenance schedule is grueling. Every day of use you must lube the plastic wear plates after cleaning them. It is "normal" for the plastic wear plates to wear the zinc from the slide bars. Then they will rust and scoring will occur, they say this is "normal". But before next use you should sand the rust off, clean and lube them once again.

They recommend disassembling the hitch once a month to lube the pivot bolt with axle grease.

You know they say, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I think this is one of those. I suppose you could not do any of this and just take it in once a year and have all the parts replaced.

IMHO this is just to much work, just so I don't have to pay attention when backing up.

Glad I didn’t order one of these.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bshgto1 wrote:
MFL wrote:
I agree Dave...while 90 degrees makes a reference point, it is impossible to back a FW trailer at that angle. As you approach 90 degrees, you are just pushing the trailer sideways, and severely twisting your suspension. You need to pull forward a little, straighten a little, before proceeding to back.

Jerry

Finally someone debunked the 90 degree bull. A little up a little back a little up a little back. In 40 years and never had to do 90 Degrees. But I did have a Pullrite slider for a time and it came in handy more than once especially at night, yep a little messy but worked well.

Well from the lack of response, I doubt many are backing in at 90 degrees, or they don't realize what 90 degrees is .

Just watching 45 degrees , and what the tires are doing, can't imagine what 90 degrees is doing to them as well as the suspension , especially on cement or asphalt .

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I agree Dave...while 90 degrees makes a reference point, it is impossible to back a FW trailer at that angle. As you approach 90 degrees, you are just pushing the trailer sideways, and severely twisting your suspension. You need to pull forward a little, straighten a little, before proceeding to back.

Jerry

Finally someone debunked the 90 degree bull. A little up a little back a little up a little back. In 40 years and never had to do 90 Degrees. But I did have a Pullrite slider for a time and it came in handy more than once especially at night, yep a little messy but worked well.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

LaundroKing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bionic Man for the link.

I visited the PullRite web site and looked at the owners manual to see what kind of mechanical things are going on to get this to work. Well... there are a lot. As promising as this looks, the maintenance schedule is grueling. Every day of use you must lube the plastic wear plates after cleaning them. It is "normal" for the plastic wear plates to wear the zinc from the slide bars. Then they will rust and scoring will occur, they say this is "normal". But before next use you should sand the rust off, clean and lube them once again.

They recommend disassembling the hitch once a month to lube the pivot bolt with axle grease.

You know they say, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I think this is one of those. I suppose you could not do any of this and just take it in once a year and have all the parts replaced.

IMHO this is just to much work, just so I don't have to pay attention when backing up.
Mark

2005 Ford F250 6.0 PSD BulletProfed
2008 Hartland Sundance 30ft 5er, Flexair pinbox, Center point equalizer.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I really do not understand the ole 90 degree jack for backing.

I do not think there is a pick up made that could turn sharp enough to keep up with a 90 degree jack when backing.

it could be done with the old cab over 18 wheeler i drove, but I say it is impossible and no utility do try that with a fifth wheel camper. Needles to even consider the lateral forces on the suspension.

So it looks like the slider folks rule on this post. :h

It surprises me that the stealer gave a practical response as opposed to just jumping into your pocket or at least trying to.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
get an auto slider. Don't ask how I know.

Pretty sure I don't need to ask, its situational awareness , and there was no awareness.

Oh, there was awareness or I wouldn't have a cab corner or a (maybe) back window anymore. Never doing that again. Probably a half inch of cab to axle and I wouldn't need it, but that's a half inch too little. Now I can turn way beyond 90 degrees and not worry. I have to turn nearly 90 to get into my driveway from the street, so it's nice to have.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
From our experience all depends on the person and trailer.
My wife and I are soon to be on our third short bed truck for a fifth wheel but our 5th short bed truck over all.
We have had a 2012 Ram Mega cab towing a 40’ bunk house and a 2016 Crew Cab Cummins towing a 42’ fiver and are ordering a new 2019 Mega Cab dually Cummins. Out of the 2 other trucks we have always had a sliding hitch, but never used it.
Our trailers are the new front cap design that allows tighter turning. So with that and my wife who is an amazing spotter never had an issue. We have managed to get it into some good spots. We had an issue once so far that took several tries and that was at Fort Wilderness in Florida.
With the 2019 we aren’t even doing a sliding hitch.
But again a good spotter and communication is key.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Look here
LaundroKing wrote:
I have a 2005 Ford short bed with the pin over the axle. The 5er is a 2008 Sundance with the long pin box that is designed for short beds and also has the corners of the nose cap radius in. I don't even get close to my back window, but yes you do have to pay attention. I can't get around to 90 degrees with the trailer, but i can get about 80 degrees.

I have never seen an automatic slider. So some are suggesting that when you start backing in, it "automatically" slides back? Or is it just actuated from inside the cab. Because if you have to get out of the truck, that is not very automatic.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

LaundroKing
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 Ford short bed with the pin over the axle. The 5er is a 2008 Sundance with the long pin box that is designed for short beds and also has the corners of the nose cap radius in. I don't even get close to my back window, but yes you do have to pay attention. I can't get around to 90 degrees with the trailer, but i can get about 80 degrees.

I have never seen an automatic slider. So some are suggesting that when you start backing in, it "automatically" slides back? Or is it just actuated from inside the cab. Because if you have to get out of the truck, that is not very automatic.
Mark

2005 Ford F250 6.0 PSD BulletProfed
2008 Hartland Sundance 30ft 5er, Flexair pinbox, Center point equalizer.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
somebody wrote:
You don't need a slider if you can remember to pay attention. But as already stated some of that depends on the variables.
ya - one of those variables is a blind spot. If you don't have one of those, you can pay a lot more attention to how close the rounded corner of your modern fifth wheel is coming to your cab.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
get an auto slider. Don't ask how I know.

Pretty sure I don't need to ask, its situational awareness , and there was no awareness.